Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Skylight Help

newbie here but so tired of winnebago sticking to me. I have 2002 adventure 37g.I replaced the neo angled outside shower dome in 2018 at price of $220.00 plus frieght. got on the roof this snow storm getting snow off and cracked it, contacted dealer prepared to pay the same or little more. to my shock they have jack the price up to almost $500.00 what the heck, that much of increase in two years, this is my last winnebago. has anyone have after market they have used that works the part # 122215-01-02A
thanks
jgraves912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2002 Suncruiser 35U and I did as you did and replaced mine with an OEM part but, after I did it, realized that any generic RV skylight will work as long as it's big enough to cover the opening. Once your inner, translucent inner skylight (I assume you have one), you'll never know the difference. It really doesn't matter how much too big it is or whether or not the proportions are the same.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

According to your part #, your skylight measures 26.4" x 26.4". Here's one place you can custom order from that should be able to supply what you need:

https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvskylights.htm

Note that the measurements at the above site are based on the outside edges of the flange. I'm not sure how your existing skylight is measured.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Bob thanks but from what I am being told is I need to know the rise because Winnebago is known for going up quickly and after markets don’t do that.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraves912 View Post
Bob thanks but from what I am being told is I need to know the rise because Winnebago is known for going up quickly and after markets don’t do that.
Can you explain more completely? I assume you're commenting on the shape of the skylight above the mounting flange but I don't understand why that would be relevant. As long as it covers the opening and is shaped to adequately shed water, what difference does it make?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Matching the inner dome doesn’t hit the outer dome. Is what I am talking about
Old 02-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraves912 View Post
Matching the inner dome doesn’t hit the outer dome. Is what I am talking about
That makes sense. I suggest you call the vendor I mentioned in post #3. Also, as the replacement is enough larger in terms of length and width, the steepness of the rise becomes a non-issue. You could even send them a 1:1 scale drawing of the original's profile. In any case, I'd make sure the skylight is returnable.

Here's another company to check out. The skylight on the linked page is described as fitting "many Winnebago units". It's a different size than you need. They may have others that are Winnie friendly and, worst case, they make custom units. It sounds like they understand the issue:

https://www.icondirect.com/rv-skylight-sl1627/

I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #8
Site Team

I've found that for many parts WBGO buys them from a third party and marks them up. When their supplier raises their price then so does WBGO.

However, they have their own plastic parts manufacturing section and this unusually shaped skylight may only be available from them.

I see it for $440 at Winnebagoparts.com. You can call Lichtsinn RV (641) 585-3213 to see what they charge.

https://winnebagoparts.com/outer-sky...l-26-4-x-26-4/

You might look for one on eBay or at a RV Salvage Yard.

https://rvparts.visonerv.com/

While it's unfortunate it's gone up so much in the past couple of years I fail to see how it's a huge rip off on a custom made part for a 19-year old coach long out of production. Perhaps they previously stocked these but now have to make one from scratch due to the age of the RV and part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 12.58.42 PM.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	177495  
Old 02-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #9
WinnieAdven38

It is not just Winnebago - all RV manufacturers tend to charge a fair amount for replacement parts. The good news is that most components are actually fairly common and can be bought either directly from the component manufacturer or through one of many RV replacement parts companies. It just takes a little internet searching and you will be amazed what is out there. It is also incredible what Amazon carries - I have found many, many items (from tires to wiring to water pumps to water heaters, etc.)

In fact - I just did a quick search for Winnebago Shower skylights on Amazon- and within seconds I have numerous listings. Here's one -

https://www.amazon.com/ICON-12114-RV...561200&sr=8-22
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiHenri View Post
In fact - I just did a quick search for Winnebago Shower skylights on Amazon- and within seconds I have numerous listings. Here's one -

https://www.amazon.com/ICON-12114-RV...561200&sr=8-22
If you read some of the earlier responses you'll see that a skylight like this might not work due to the inside skylight poking up into it and the rise in a generic skylight might not be steep enough.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

You can simply plastic weld the crack and be done with it in a few minutes. Even if you can't find an aftermarket skylight that's deep enough you can put some StarBoard or other PVC trim board underneath the flange to raise the replacement a bit higher.

On parts for older RV's be thankful that Winnebago is still willing to press out a replacement for you and custom manufacture it. Most others will have already purged the designs from their computer system and destroyed the molds a long time ago.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

They have a butch of them on the shelf and still use on some models

Tags
light