Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exclamation Questions about Maintenance

I took over a 2014 Vista 31KE from my mother and stepfather who recently passed. It only has 28,000 miles on it, but obviously being 2023 has 9 years on it. Should I change all fluids in it? I assume I should, but was wondering which is the most urgent.
Looking for opinions on what I should do first in order of importance. Already changed the oil.
Thanks in advance for any responses. I am new on here and have already benefited from this great forum.

Brake Fluid Change?
Transmissions Service or Flush or both?
Cooling System full change out?
Power Steering?
Rear Differential Fluid Change?

Thanks again
Mark
2014 VISTA 31 KE
TOAD 2015 FORD FIESTA
markbrondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Look at the manual for mileage or yearly maintenance. When was the last service ? Start fresh at either the mileage or year . Oil change was a good start .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check the DOT date code on the tires. If they are the original tires they might still look like new, but they are 9-10 years old and past aged out. This would be my number one safety item before I even looked at any fluids or other maintenance.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Yeah-They look good, but I think you are right I definitely need to check that for safety for sure.
Thanks for that great piece of advice.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you haven't already done so, you should find a good, independent truck shop that works on your brand of chassis. Don't rely on an RV dealer for service, especially the chassis. In terms of "house", a good, independent RV repair shop is preferable to a dealer. Dealers are primarily in the selling business, not service and priority always goes to those who purchased from them. They also aren't fully equipped for chassis service.

Here's an example of the type of truck shop to look for:

https://www.mikeandsonstruckrepair.com/

As an example, here's the independent RV repair shop:

Mobile RV Service and Parts - Galt California

The same goes for tires, look for a good full service tire shop that services trucks.

If I knew you were in the Sacramento area, I'd recommend them to you. If you modify your profile via the User CP to include your location, someone may have a suggestion to you. It's a good idea since answers to other questions may depend on your location, local weather, etc.

It's great that you include your MH specs in your signature block but it's a good idea to also include your chassis type, Ford F53, Workhorse, etc.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have a bit different idea on servie and I did have a 2015 31KE, so my thoughts might or might not apply to you?
I kind of grew up in a family of service techs and I like to just talk direct to floks who will be doing the work before I take it in.
I like small shops, as long as they look like they have the tools, etc. Not the shade tree sort but not the huge service either?
So in my area, I can walk in when going by in the car and just ask if they are interested in Rv work. I look it over for how big the door and parking lots first!
But I settled on a small shop that has 3-4 guys and all the tools but willing to have it out in the parking lot and slide under with a creeper to do lots of small stuff like changing oil and fluids.
Our weather is often good enough that working in the lot out back is just as good as doing it inside.
I never had them do anything big like an engine or transmission teardown but for smaller routine stuff, I liked just talking to them the day before and setting it up where to park it and they were always glad to just do the small stuff in the lot.
RV have so much room underneath that the guy said it was just like setting in the shade!

But I also know that will not work in some areas and some shops, so just a thought for opening up the options a bit more. I find the huge truck shops tend to be less agreeable to letting me talk directly to the guy doing the work and that can lead to not getting what I wanted, even though the service rep put it on the order!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #7
Site Team

Mark, I have a 6-year old Adventurer - same drivetrain as your Vista. I have a little over 48,000 miles on it.

Here's the maintenance I do and have done in the past.

Oil and filter Changes, every 5,000 mi
Chassis and Jack lubes at the same time

That's about it.

I changed all my new-looking Michelin tires at 6-years of DOT Age Date.
I changed my perfectly fine AGM house batteries at 6 years as well
I replaced my chassis battery with an AGM battery at 6 years, also.

That's it. I don't have any plans of doing any other maintenance at this time. I have a Ford owner's manual. I think there are some maintenance items at 60,000 mi. I'll have to take a look.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks- Yeah-I changed my profile- Thanks for the advice- I am from Ventura Ca.
Really appreciate the input.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

One other small point might be having the brake fluid changed as a way to prevent possible damage. But that can also depend on how much settting the rV has done.
The fluid tends to draw moisture and if it sets longer, that water can lead to rust on things like the wheel cylinders. Then when we start using the RV, that rust can score the cylinders as they move and lead to bigger repairs.
Sometimes it can be smart to spend money to avoid spending much bigger money?
Spending a bit on brake fluid every 8-9 years might seem right??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

It is not widely known, however Ford recommends flushing and replacing brake fluid every 30 k miles or 2 years in their pickups

However on the Ford Escape the manual recommends 100K miles or 6 years.

Ford also says to monitor brake fluid color, and when it is discolored or contains foreign material it must be changed regardless of mileage or time.
A side note, if you open a container of brake fluid and do not use it all with 3 months throw it away at a recycle center.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:27 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I recently did the brake fluid flush on my 2014, and the old fluid was pretty discolored and dark. Discolor can indicate water, which brake fluid loves to suck up, but brakes do not like moisture much.

I wish I would have followed the manual and did it at 2 or 3 years instead of 8 years.

Also, if you have handling problems, get it aligned by a good shop - set the castor slightly above Fords spec and check the tire pressures first - you may or may not need all the expensive chassis upgrades!

Disinfect the fresh water tanks, flush the gunk out of the hot water heater. Check the jack hydraulic level.

Finally, do a driveway camp for a few nights to find all the other stuff you got to fix! Then hit the road...
Old 03-01-2023, 06:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I recently did the brake fluid flush on my 2014, and the old fluid was pretty discolored and dark. Discolor can indicate water, which brake fluid loves to suck up, but brakes do not like moisture much.

I wish I would have followed the manual and did it at 2 or 3 years instead of 8 years.

Also, if you have handling problems, get it aligned by a good shop - set the castor slightly above Fords spec and check the tire pressures first - you may or may not need all the expensive chassis upgrades!

Disinfect the fresh water tanks, flush the gunk out of the hot water heater. Check the jack hydraulic level.

Finally, do a driveway camp for a few nights to find all the other stuff you got to fix! Then hit the road...
Jack oil level is another beast. HWH says to never use hydraulic jack oil, only HWH oil or ATF type specified in your owners manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance