Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2023, 05:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Brake exercise during winter storage

Hello room….

Looking for advice on proactive brake maintenance while the motor home sits covered up 5 months during winter here in BC. Reason for my concern is 2 years ago after dewinterizing and on our first trip i got an over heat warning on my right front tire (big supporter of a TPMS!). This happened 5 km out of our driveway. On inspection the problem was a dragging caliper. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated! (2016 Vista LX 27N)
Bogdan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's been my experience the usual cause of a dragging caliper is the flexible brake line has deteriorated internally and not allowing brake fluid to easily return to the master cylinder.

OTOH the caliper piston hole can be corroded enough to prevent retraction, I think the actual piston is plastic with "O" rings.

After finding and eliminating this problem I recommend flushing out the old brake fluid and replacing with new. Ford Canada has a brake fluid flush and replace in their maintenance schedule.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Will book a flush with my Ford Truck Center in the spring snd run your comment by the tech.
Bogdan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:09 PM   #4
Site Team

There are pin slides for the caliper that can be lubricated with a caliper slide grease.
FYI; Eagle5
Old 03-03-2023, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This sound slike several things may help. Lube is good and making sure the brake fluid is kept fresh is another.
you have a combo of things that may make it worse for you than other places. The brake fluid tends to draw moisture from the air. You likely store the
RV where humidity is often high, so that can make it worse than places that are drier.
The problem tends to be worse when that moisture gets in the fluid, stays longer so that it can start rust on all the different metal parts. If we drive it like a car, some of that moisture will get hot and tend to boil off but stored for six months, it has far more chance to build up and give us trouble.
Sticking calipers is one way, but the one I have had was the wheel cyclinders. I bought an old RV which was used as a mobile photo studio and driven very little.
I bought it, redid the really important stuff and drove it to California.
Sold it when we got back and the new owner reported ALL the wheel cylinders had to be replaced as they were rusty and the rust scored them too far to repair!
Changing the fluid may be worth the extra expense to avoid the much bigger expense??
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, storage, winter