Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No shore power with engine off

As long as the engine is running we have shore power but once you shut the engine down we lose electric. Coach Batterys are going dead quickly also. I haven’t had the coach very long. Everything worked great the first night out till it didn’t.
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think there was a similar thread here within the last week. I would hit "new posts" above and go through the first 2-4 pages.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Site Team

You haven't given us any vital information - year, model, floorplan, etc. It's really difficult to answer any questions without knowing that info.

I was going to attempt to provide more help, but I realize that I just don't know anything about your issue. It's could be half a dozen things.

When you say no shore power with engine off - exactly what do you mean? You're plugged into shore power and no AC systems work if the engine is off?

Do you know how to operate the battery cut offs? Have you tried those?

Do you have an inverter? Are you leaving it on?

When you say the coach battery dies quickly - is this while on shore power? Inverter power? Do you have a residential fridge?

We need so much more info and then we can really help you. Please don't just answer the above questions - just tell us exactly what's happening, what you've tried. what's running what's not.

The more info you provide the more help we can provide.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
by shore power you presumably mean the 12v DC system. shore power usually refers to 120v...air conditioning, microwave etc. 12v usually refers to lights, furnace, water pump, etc.

assuming you mean the 12v system...

1-bad coach batteries
2-charger/converter (or charger/inverter) not supplying power to charge batteries.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Newbie- any help appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding View Post
As long as the engine is running we have shore power but once you shut the engine down we lose electric. Coach Batterys are going dead quickly also. I haven’t had the coach very long. Everything worked great the first night out till it didn’t.
We got the coach in Yuma Az. 2006 Winnebago Journey Rear end diesel pusher. It worked great in Yuma. On our next stop in Texas our living room slideout would not go out, but we had AC and 120v power. The next night we hooked up at a campground and only had 120v power when the engine was running and it was plugged in. In addition the refrigerator was not running well and the electric outlet in the kitchen no longer worked. Thinking maybe there was not enough 50 amp power at that location, we moved on to campground in Biloxi Ms Same result in Biloxi ab we noticed the 12 v lights are no longer working. We checked breakers and none were tripped. We did not disconnect the batteries. The only thing we noticed is that with the coach plugged into 50 amp service and engine running we have 120 v service If we turn coach engine off , 120 v service ends. Any ideas?
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

When the engines is running, you probably get the 110 V from the inverter. Since you are not getting shore power, the batteries are totally discharged, therefore there is no 12V. The problem can be caused with a bad Automatic Transfer Switch (or not moving the inside power cord to the shore connector if the coach not equipped with an ATS), the main AC breaker or by a faulty inverter.
ahamor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I tend to start with the more simple and possibly more likely, before moving to more difficult. One of the most common problems for used coachs and newish owners is the battery supply and condition. I would want to assure the coach batteries are in good condition and will take and hold a charge.
Much of what you describe can often be traced to coach batteries which were rund won and left so long that they are now damaged. With engine running, the engine alternator connects start battery and coach batteries together to charge both as we drive but when we shut down the engine, the alternator power is no longer there and if the coach batteries are dead, you get lots of things like lights, water pump, etc. that don't work as well as many of the things like the inverter and other RV parts fail. Things like the Air conditioner may only use the 110 AC but the controls do use 12VDC from the batteries, but what makes it confusing is that even dead coach batteries will appear to work if the engine alternator has them tied together and supplies the 12VDC.
Quick and easier than troubleshooting is to make sure there are good batteries and then, if necessary, look further. Check connections at batteries and ground also as those are frequent problem areas.
Small point to still clear up is that there are five different models of 2006 Journey, so specific info on the model is best to go to the correct info on drawings here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm

Good luck with the bug hunt and yell when it feels right!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the battery disconnect is off.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Sounds like the battery disconnect is off.
Alternatively if it wasn't off, that the batteries are at end of life from being drained to zero.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Alternatively if it wasn't off, that the batteries are at end of life from being drained to zero.
Yep, you and Morich I think, given the scant, information from the OP, are probably correct. Too many variables, too little information to help much more....
Old 07-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Yep, you and Morich I think, given the scant, information from the OP, are probably correct. Too many variables, too little information to help much more....
Yep, it's just wild guesses really.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Of course not necessarily the fix, but as likely mentioned, you generally will have both a chassis battery isolator and a house battery disconnect relay or mechanism.

they likely are next to each other somewhere semi convenient, most winn mh they are under the steps, class c maybe under a passenger seat.

the chassis isolator is ONLY shorted/ON during engine on time to help charge the house batteries using the engine alternator.

the house disconnect relay is to keep the battery from discharging during storage.

check them both - GL !!

ps: if relays, then $16 relays from ebay/amazon - get an extra for backup !! Discharge batteries suck !
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, power, shore power