Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Need To Re-Tension Window Shade Above Entry Door

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q. Entry door window shade has lost tension and won’t retract. I have removed the shade from the wall but don’t understand how to access the tension mechanism. how do I remove the “end caps” of the shade? MCD website and owner’s manusl are no help

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Step one? Be prepared to be frustrated and take some time to cool first!!!

Next I might guess that your end caps are just stuck as there was no fastener on mine and that is one of the funky things to be prepped as they tend to fly off when I did not want them to do that! A gentle tap may get them moving?

What we found inside to two of us to hold and rewind as it does seem lots to try to do solo. Bu we did get it going to work fine for quite some time after getting it wound to the proper amount but it seemed right to add a light coat of some type oil. WD-40 is always handy for me but light machine oil of any kind may be as good.

May be worth noting that the spring is not the typical wire but a metal wrap thing that is almost the length of the left/ right size.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Step one? Be prepared to be frustrated and take some time to cool first!!!

Next I might guess that your end caps are just stuck as there was no fastener on mine and that is one of the funky things to be prepped as they tend to fly off when I did not want them to do that! A gentle tap may get them moving?

What we found inside to two of us to hold and rewind as it does seem lots to try to do solo. Bu we did get it going to work fine for quite some time after getting it wound to the proper amount but it seemed right to add a light coat of some type oil. WD-40 is always handy for me but light machine oil of any kind may be as good.

May be worth noting that the spring is not the typical wire but a metal wrap thing that is almost the length of the left/ right size.
hmmm. OK, so the end caps are just held on by friction?

Old 08-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, that was part of my problem on getting it back together as I turned the end of the spring gizmo to get what felt right then pushed the caps back on but as I tried to hold it up to the wall, the end caps would flip off enough to let the spring go crazy and had to start over!

The only saving grace is that there were no small parts to fly off into space! More like a big "scroll" instead of a spring and then a little nub about a 14 inch long to catch in the plastic end.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

i'm reluctant to try and force them off...they seem solidly attached. i've been wondering about the little holes on either end. they're certainly not decorative which leaves a manufacturing error (too uniform for that) or they're functional but i can't see how.

Tags
door, window