Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide topper tension question

While coming back on the last trip we hit a stretch of very high cross wind, and developed a nasty sound up high on the side facing the cross wind. I had to reduce speed to 40-45 mph just to keep the rig undercontrol. Fearing the worst I stopped to investigate and saw that the slide topper roller tension was wobbling back and forth enough to cause the knocking, thankfully nothing unrolled and once we changed direction the knocking stopped. I am just concerned for future cross winds. Is this a sign that the tension is not correct or is that normal? Can the tension be adjusted to minimize this knock in the future. Thanks
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

While I have not had that experience, I did have loose slide toppers that would billow in the wind when the slides were extended. Winnebago re-tensioned them and things have been great ever since.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We have had the same problem. A couple years ago, during a visit to Winnebago Service Center in Iowa for other problems, I mentioned this. The fix was to place a 1/2" thick block under the mounting plate for the awming on the side wall of the slide-out. No problem since.

If you look at later Winnie models, there has been a production change and they now come with thiese spacer blocks. Older models have the bracket mounted directly on the side wall (no spacer).

Try calling Winnebago Service and ask about this spacer. Perhaps your local Winnie service center also knows about it. Another good bet would be to call one of our sponsors, Lichtsinn Motors. Their parts department is super!

Frank F.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My slide toppers came with an anti-billow arm that contacts the side of the coach when crosswinds are strong enough. It makes a knocking noise when that happens.
It's normal - the anti-billow device is just doing it's job. Could that be what you are hearing?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue with the anti-billow arm banging on our Journey and the Sunstar. They say that is normal in strong winds. I did have a problem bringing the new coach home from Dallas to Denver with 50+ MPH winds in the panhandle of Texas. It broke the anti-billow arm off and the awning blew up and over the top of the coach and came banging back against the side. It took three hours getting it under control. I had the tension checked and was told it was adjusted properly. I had a new anti-billow arm installed and an additional one installed at the other end just to be safe. I hate those banging noises!!!!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You were driving through Big Timber Montana by any chance were you? That is where my anti-billowing arm broke off and had the slide topper deploy. Luckily someone from my WIT chapter was following me. Got it secured for the rest of the trip. When the story got around the club, comes to find out three of us in the club had slide toppers deploy there. When the repair parts came from A & E the instructions said to take 12 turns on the tensioner when installing. I took 14 and have not had a problem with the banging as the anti billowing arm works back and forth in the keeeper. I also ordered a new spring for that end of the topper. Leading edge or left as you look at it. The spring wasn't broken but I did replace it with the new one. Still carry the old one with my 'spare parts' just in case. Makes a heck of a racket when it happens but not as bad as the porch awning. Had that happen to a friend and had it deploy all the way over his coach. Had to cut it off as it could not be gathered up. Hope I never experience that.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all of you for the responses. Clay and John seems to have hit the nail on the head as far as my noise. It may be a good idea for me to get some extra parts just in case it breaks some day as John eluded to when it happened to him. Once again this forum has come to my rescue, thanks so much.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problem crossing IA, NE and WY in early May. I finally got the ladder out and tied the anti-billow arm so it would not move using some strong rope. That solved the problem but added the task of removing it before I could extend the slide. I found two sites with ideas that may be adapted to the topper slide covers. I seem able to copy only one at a time so I'll add another post with the other.

Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here's the second site.

AWNING LOCK
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote