Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need some help repairing a torn seat

So I have a torn seat in my 38W Forza and looking for suggestions on how this could be repaired. I've called bunch of Marine repair shops but only 2 replied and they both said I'd need to replace the entire panel of the seat. Which means they'd need to hunt down replacement material. I'm hoping someone on this forum might have an easier fix as I'm looking to trade this in for a Tag axle in the next week or so. I've attached some pictures so any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW it's the dinette bench on one side. I found out the hard way there's no support on the top to the right of the tear. Sorry for the orientation of the pictures. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210119_122005.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	177028   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_153706.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	177029  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_153711.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	177030  
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #2

Here are some suggestions that may or may not help. I can't see your entire bench seat to know if it's plausible or not?

* Get a hooked-needle and re-stitch it by hand.

* Then if you can, swap the right side of your bench seat back with the left side, if they are identical... so the repair-stitch is against the wall.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Here are some suggestions that may or may not help. I can't see your entire bench seat to know if it's plausible or not?

* Get a hooked-needle and re-stitch it by hand.

* Then if you can, swap the right side of your bench seat back with the left side, if they are identical... so the repair-stitch is against the wall.
Wow first suggestion and it's an excellent one !!!!! I'm pretty sure they are swappable and the DW has what is need to stitch it. Guess what we are doing tomorrow. I'll let you know how we make out. Thanks.....
Old 01-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #4

GREAT! You are very welcome.

TIP I THINK WILL WORK:

* One person squishes the cushion so the other person can work on the repair.

* Then Person #2 puts 1 "basting stitch" in the center of the rip to hold the fabric together so the seems are facing to the inside... and you tie it off tight...

* Then Person #2 starts from one end with a looping stitch and continues to the center of the rip... and then you tie off... but do not cut the thread.

* Remove the basting stich and continue with the looping stitch to finish off the repair... or you may need to add another basting stitch 3/4 of the way down the rip... and then continue.

* Ultimately, you want to hide the ends of the fabric. ...And if you can swap the cushion-backs then you may not care that much about how the stitching looks.

Do NOT use cotton thread. You need an upholstery thread and 1/2 circle (or hooked) needle.

Alternative: Remove the seat back and take it your local shoe cobbler. I bet they will only charge you $20 to repair your rip and they will do a good job. (Negotiate if they want $40.) It's a 10 minute fix for them!

Note: These guys also repair luggage rips and zipper tears. It's amazing what they can do.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
Wow first suggestion and it's an excellent one !!!!! I'm pretty sure they are swappable and the DW has what is need to stitch it. Guess what we are doing tomorrow. I'll let you know how we make out. Thanks.....
Well good news and bad news. Bad News first. Unfortunately they were not swappable because of the seats had a dip in the front that prohibited them from being turned 180o. Good news my DW along with a little help from me were able to pull it together and stitch it up. Looks great, I wasn't too keen on how the bench seats were made for this as it lends itself for something like this to happen again because there's no top support so if you lean on the cushion getting up it tears. Anyway thanks again in the end it's all set and looks fine.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
GREAT! You are very welcome.

TIP I THINK WILL WORK:

* One person squishes the cushion so the other person can work on the repair.

* Then Person #2 puts 1 "basting stitch" in the center of the rip to hold the fabric together so the seems are facing to the inside... and you tie it off tight...

* Then Person #2 starts from one end with a looping stitch and continues to the center of the rip... and then you tie off... but do not cut the thread.

* Remove the basting stich and continue with the looping stitch to finish off the repair... or you may need to add another basting stitch 3/4 of the way down the rip... and then continue.

* Ultimately, you want to hide the ends of the fabric. ...And if you can swap the cushion-backs then you may not care that much about how the stitching looks.

Do NOT use cotton thread. You need an upholstery thread and 1/2 circle (or hooked) needle.

Alternative: Remove the seat back and take it your local shoe cobbler. I bet they will only charge you $20 to repair your rip and they will do a good job. (Negotiate if they want $40.) It's a 10 minute fix for them!

Note: These guys also repair luggage rips and zipper tears. It's amazing what they can do.
We contacted a bunch of places that do upholstery especially marine/RV. Figured they would be the best. Only 2 replied and both said after seeing the issue, that they would have to replace the entire panel after taking if off because not enough room to sew it. But what you described is what my DW and I did today and used upholstery thread. Looks pretty good.

Tags
repair