Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Getting my Sightseer's shine back...

The PO a couple of years ago had someone (they could not remember) refresh the gloss on the rear and this part of the RH side. With a lot of energy early on, I tackled dirty-dull with electric and air tools.. wool and foam pads ..and a coupla types of compound. I could get it really nice — looking 'flat', but never as glossy as that upper rear corner you can see reflections in. Back then, I watched videos, etc... but could never get past 'very clean/flat'.

It's time to get back to it... Perhaps you have done this and can point me to that last little step to raise the shine. Thanks.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVshine - 1.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	180941  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #2
unclescratch

After you 'polish' should you apply 'wax' ?
Old 10-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

100% Scratch... No matter paint, gelcoat, or any porous coating - you need wax both as a repellent, shine and sealing the grain. I am simply stuck at the 'almost' stage. One of the local boat guys wet-sands most boats that are chalky, but gelcoat is typically laid on thick, this is a thin coating.

A quick workaround I read on one of these forums was ZEP wet-look floor polish. Perhaps if I could have laid the coach over on its side... but upon close inspection, it looked like a drip candle in an Italian restaurant. 5X the work to remove it.

I just had three cervical disks removed at Johns Hopkins, so I will have to recruit labor to do this. Cheers.

Jim

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I developed some bad oxidation on the front driver's side above the passenger window from the sun where we store it. Tried a bunch of products that didn't work, Meguiars, 3M .
I just used this stuff and it looks pretty good. It required using the abrasive pad that came with the kit to even out the color, and six coats or so, but the shine is back and it looks much better than the oxidation, almost as good as new.

https://www.poliglowproducts.com/sto...eluxe-Kit.html.

Tags
sightseer