Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #1

The current cost of regular unleaded gasoline where I live is $3.48 per gallon, and probably going up further before the summer driving season.

Are the current fuel costs going to keep your Winnebago parked at home more this year?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #2

The current cost of regular unleaded gasoline where I live is $3.48 per gallon, and probably going up further before the summer driving season.

Are the current fuel costs going to keep your Winnebago parked at home more this year?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

ours is diesel which is a little higher than reg. gas. but i'm not staying parked at any price. enjoy it too much.
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No! An IMPHATIC NO! DP fuel running 2.59 to 2.79/gal on east coast. Though I don't have the unit yet (maybe today) I didn't pay $$ for it to look good setting behind the house! I may not go as far but why would I let it set??
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

With depreciation at ~$1000 a month who can afford to let it sit?

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:28 AM   #6

No way....We are getting ready to hit the road and go to Disney World.....1,850 miles one way......and then when we return, we will head toward Texas for some friends and family visits. Of course we aren't thrilled gas is so high, but you need to conder these costs when you buy these things....Actually, the gas is a SMALL cost compared to the other costs associated with our motorhome.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the others who have posted above, we are going to use our unit as sitting in the driveway is no fun.
Just may not drive as far on each trip but still going.
My license frame says it all " Theres more to life than gas mileage"
See you all on the road.

2004 Adventurer 33' W20 03Chassis, 4 Koni's, Ultrapower/Taylor Wires
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Its a tad painful at the pump but we're not slowing down. We have trips almost every other weekend planned and a big trip to Zion, Coral Pink Dunes, Bryce Canyon and the Paiute trail in July. At almost 2,000 miles its going to make it tough to fuel up with out feeling the need to bend over. But its much better then sitting at home. Thankfully fuel prices here are just now reaching 3.14 and on the route we're taking we're seeing fuel below 3.00 along the way - hopefully it begins to mellow out soon.

Actually the coach helps us save (yeah right) money en route since we can fix meals any where and not feel the need to jump into Subway or the Golden Arches for a bite to eat, that helps us off-set the fuel cost a bit.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #9

Guess I should have mentioned that we too will use the MH, no matter what the cost of fuel. The main difference is we are taking shorter trips, such as going to the coast which is only 40 minutes away. We like to go to Disneyland two or three times a year, but will probably only take the MH once this year and tie it in with the NASCAR race in Fontana.

Kind of scary when you put in $99 worth of fuel and it isn't even half a tank!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

After the last big price surge (Katrina), I read an article/study that said gas would have to go above $7/gal before it would be more economical to travel by car. This was considering costs for meals, lodging, etc. Of Course it was probably paid for by an RV dealers association...

Like everyone else has said, with maintenance costs, depreciation, insurance, etc. considered the fuel cost increase in minimal. Let's get out there and have some fun!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The current cost of regular unleaded gasoline where I live is $3.48 per gallon, and probably going up further before the summer driving season.

Are the current fuel costs going to keep your Winnebago parked at home more this year? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Gas prices are very high here too It won't keep us home, but it may force up to cut costs in other ways...such as side trips and souveniers.</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We bought our MH to enjoy it, the price of fuel will not stop us. We have a cross country trip planned for this summer.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I've decided to take the money I would normally spend on food, and use it to buy gas. This has multiple benefits--my budget doesn't increase, plus the weight savings both on my mid-section and the RV pantry, will probably result in better gas mileage.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well we live in Il and are going to Yellowstone in June. No way am I letting it sit! We have lost 3 friends recently and would like to do what we want and not die with too many regrets.
Of course we are bringing Dad with and he offered to pay for the gas! So if you want to borrow Dad he loves RV trips just let me know!
LOL
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Unleaded regular just hit $3.59/gal. in my town. Highest in the state, second highest state in the nation. Can still get ULSD for under $3.00/gal. Price of fuel in only one element in determining use of motor home. It will not slow down our usuage or our trips.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Wow, our home gas prices are just over three bucks, but like the rest i'm still gonna go, h3ll or high gas prices. It does scald me more than a little to go without things to pay for gas. The little things you go without are sometimes the bread and butter of the small businesses. The big guys make an extra billion a week while ruining the summer for the tourist trade.
Farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

We bought our MH last year knowing gas prices were going up and they were not going down. We have to be realistic.

We have a 2 month trip to Alaska this year that will be a drain. We will make adjustments in eating out and dry camp a lot for free instead of paying for campgrounds. Like someone said, with the MH dpreciating a grand a day we can't afford to not use it.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:
...We will make adjustments in eating out and dry camp a lot for free instead of paying for campgrounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen the term 'drycamping' before but I guess I didn't understand what it means: is it a reference to camping in a parking lot? If so, what chain-stores have drycamping without getting in trouble... I see a lot of RV's at spending the night at Walmart stores. Sounds like a great idea if the police don't knock on the door...
Old 05-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Richard,

Most Walmart stores allow it. Don't know if there's a corporate policy or just left to individual stores. Some municipalities don't allow it so be sure to check with store management. If you do try it, don't use jacks or extend slideouts. The merchants that allow it don't want it to look like a campground. Many truck stops, including Flying J, also allow it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We usually drive the motorhome an average of 7,500 miles per year, that equals 1,000 gallons of gas.

If gas goes up a dollar, that is $1,000. dollars additional.

My decision to take a trip would not be based on the price of gas.

The additional cost would not stop me from enjoying life.

As for Walmart overnight parking, Pat and I spent our first night at a Super Walmart March 2004 in Lantana Florida. We were a little worried at first but Walmart had security all night long.

The next morning I said to Pat that her and I were officially Gypsy's.

Since then we have stayed a dozen nights in route on our travels at Walmarts in Tennessee, Ohio, Florida, Michigan and North Carolina.
Bob