Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Fuel/Water Separator location

Hi Folks,
Long time RV'er first time Diesel owner. The Cummins manual suggests checking (and emptying if necessary) the water/fuel separator every tankful or so.
I located this gizmo and there is no practical way to check/drain it without literally crawling under the coach. Doesn't seem like a practical thing to try at a fuel stop with a hot engine. Can anyone give me some practical guidance on how often this needs to be done? I've YouTube'd this and several other manufacturers conveniently put the separator in an easy to reach location. Apparently not so with Winnebago and the Forza.
What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There is a senser in the bowl that will alert you , on the dash , that fuel filter has water in it, that is when you need to have it checked. Buy good fuel at a volume dealer and you should not have a problem. When you have service then replace at that time. You can look under the Forza and locate the wire to the bowl,that's it. Hard to get to for sure, unless you have a lift or pit.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up Tanks!

I have the new(er) Freightliner digital dashboard so I'll check THAT manual to see where the light is.
Appreciate the assist.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

BTW Deckape - thanks for your Navy service.
Staying with the rated G rules - I was an "Avation Spring Mechanic".
(Corpsman)
Old 08-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yea I was in VF-11 and enjoyed my time on base and at sea. You will see a icon that shows water on your display . Not ready a concern ,but will let you know that you have a problem. If in your travels you can get to Gaffine ,SC (sp ) go to Freightliner school and get your coach serviced there. They build the chassie there and do a great job . Scheulde it when you need a major service, miles or time. Check your manual. I have found a Freightliner dealer that can do my oil changes and service . I ready like that most major cities have a dealer that you can go to to get service. One of the reason that I wanted a Freightliner chassie.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On my Cummins, I have gone a few years and to having the fuel water separator changed every year with the oil changes. I have never had an alert that water might need to be drained.

So doing it every fuel fill-up, sounds very excessive. Unless you are getting fuel with lots of water in it, or have a severe condensation problem in a partially filled fuel tank. In my opinion, from my driving experience, getting fuel only at major truck stops, check to drain it once a year, perhaps replace at 15-20,000 miles. But extra maintenance never hurts.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q

Water in fuel

For my diesel car I add a multi-purpose fuel conditioner at every fill-up, it disperses water, lubricates the injection pump and adds cetane. If yu change the fuel filter at every oil change you should never see the warning light! Unless of course, you get a dose of watery fuel!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuel, water