Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire valve extensions?

Sorry if this has been discussed but I could not find a thread using the search function.
Is anyone getting valve extension of the Navion/View 24D so you can reach the inner tire valve and easily add on a TPMS?
“Roamin” Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Mark,
Until you do get that valve extension, you can use a tire pressure gauge such as this:
Oasser Tire Inflator with Gauge Tire Pressure Gauge
You might check with a tire store to get their opinion on the valve extension.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-17-2021, 10:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!
“Roamin” Catholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I put on a 1-1/4" long extension on the rear wheels that I bought on Amazon. They work great and the TPMS sensors nicely clear the wheel with these.

I realize that this adds another potential leak point at the stem to extension joint. But I monitor the TPMS religiously and so far no problems. Better would be a new, longer and crooked stem, but that would take finding one that would work and demounting and remounting the tires to install them.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
Living The Dream

I have put Borg dually valve stems on all three View/Navion Sprinters we have owned … these aren’t extensions, but complete new stems:

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...sprinter-class
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

When we purchased our 2021 View 24D from Lichtsinn in June 2020, we had them install valve extensions so we could easily access the inner and outer rear tires. These actually aren't extenders, they replaced the original stems (at least for the outer tires).

We recently hit a bad pothole on a road trip, which caused a crack in the Alcoa wheel, requiring a replacement.

The replacement showed up just as we were planning to start a 15 day 4000 mile road trip. When the tire store installed the replacement tire on the replacement wheel, they were unable to get the extender back on the outer rear wheel - so the valve stem was facing inward.

We tried adding a curved extender from Camping World - but the valve that came in the replacement wheel was too long - so none of those extended worked.

Fortunately, we were able to get another tire store to swap the valve that came with the wheel for the extender installed by Lichtsinn - and we were able to leave on our trip, about 8 hours later than planned.

As pointed out above, you can purchase adapters or alternative versions of a tire pressure gauge and pump - that will work with the inward facing stems.

But having the "extenders" installed is much easier - since it works the TMPS (that replace the valve cap) and standard tire pressure gauges/air pumps.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Pacific Dualies 18135 135 Degree... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L9D6YK...p_mob_ap_share

6 Inch Dually Valve Stem... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1H5182...p_mob_ap_share
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

NOTE that we tried the 135 degree extenders on our new Alcoa outer rear wheel - and they would not fit, because the new valve stem on the wheel was too long, preventing the curved extender from fitting in the wheel opening where the valve is located.

A much better solution was getting a 135 valve installed into the wheel, instead of trying to add on an extender.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tire pressure gauge - I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Mark,
Until you do get that valve extension, you can use a tire pressure gauge such as this:
Oasser Tire Inflator with Gauge Tire Pressure Gauge
Eagle5
I agree with Eagle5 RE: getting a tire pressure gauge like the one they linked. We purchased a similar model under a different brand name and love it, won't use anything else at this point for checking and airing up tires on our RV and cars. Wish I had bought one a long time ago.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Works just fine for us.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have put Borg dually valve stems on our 21D.
Vince5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Borg valve stems are recommended most often on Veiw/Navion forums. Extenders are said to be more problematic. Check out the Borg Stems. You can get them installed at a truck tire dealer. You just have to make sure they use the jacking points on instead of lifting from the differential.
PZachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I just finished a 9 week 11,000 trip in our 2019 View.

I purchased some extenders from both AutoZone and on Amazon. I am very mechanically inclined but found is awkward to install properly.
Second day of the trip one of the inside back tires lost air and I drove on it with out knowing. Ended up destroying a new tire.

Friday afternoon 4:30 I found a GoodYear truck tire dealer in Chattanooga, Tn. that was still open. I pulled in and explained my problem. They had me back in and fortunately for me I immediately had, 1 supervisor and 4 employees happily working to fix the problem.
I asked them to remove all of the extenders and the majority of them said they saw more problems with them then not.
Without asking they changed the caps on all valves to fill through caps that do not need to be taken off. They suggested to keep a spray bottle of water with a bit of dish soap to spray them once a week to keep the dirt from clogging them.

I said to me wife well here comes a $400 repair bill and it would have been worth it.
The total cost $265. I would highly recommend GoodYear industrial to anyone.
I gave each of the guys that worked on it a $20 tip.

They turned a really bad afternoon into a good experience.

If you want extenders take it to a professional. You will be glad you did.
brad225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Another vote for Borg valve stems. 20k miles on our View with no issues.
Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I have put Borg dually valve stems on all three View/Navion Sprinters we have owned … these aren’t extensions, but complete new stems:

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...sprinter-class
I definitely agree with this post, this is best way to go. These are solid metal and, since they're mounted to the wheels, there's nothing that can become loose or disconnected.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote