Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2024, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Found electrical safety risk in 2020 Spyder 29STT

Winnebago in its wisdom to hire the least competent workers, now has idiots wiring rvs the wrong way! I found my oven in a 2020 toyhauler the chassis had a HOT black wire screwed to the frame of the oven. I found this out by using a 110 volt hot plate on top of the cover for oven, and a lid from a pot hit the side metal of oven and shorted out thru the hot plate causing sparks? Took voltmeter and found the "ground wire" screwed to oven "hot". So the whole chassis is hot, just waiting for someone touching oven and a ground to be shocked. I cut the wire off and sealed it off. Also all the roof vents wired backwards so air flow goes into rv, not out! So what else is wired wrong??? Report filed with the US product safety commision!
29stt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

WOW! So both 120VAC and 12VDC wired incorrectly. was this MH new unsold stock from a dealer? Have you contacted W customer service yet?

Thinking out loud; If this is a used RV, perhaps a repossessed unit, I wonder if the previous owner deliberately altered the wiring simply because it was being repossessed? Otherwise, the RV was unusable since 2020.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

PS- to all who read this please check your oven with a volt meter. Pull top cover off stove top, look for black "ground wire" screwed to the cooktop. Pull wire off and check for voltage on wire to a known good good ground. If you read voltage, cut wire and put a wire nut on it.
29stt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Seems to be tooo many odd questions involved to really get into this story!
First post was March of 2023 with this:
Seeking attorney now to get class action lawsuit against Winnebago and all other mfgs.

Second post is telling us of total disaster in the trailer they own, which just happens to be a different 2020 model WINNEBAGO?
Seems a pretty big jump from wanting to sue to owning one?

Then the suggested solution? That really sounds like a wacky way to deal with a wiring problem if it is a true hazard?

Seems more irrational thinking than true solutions!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:30 AM   #5
mnc
Winnebago Watcher

I don't think it's possible to hook a live wire to a metal frame on a stove. that would be a short and pop the breaker I would think,maybe I'm wrong
mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I wonder if that black wire was just a bonding wire run to chassis ground. If so perhaps the entire RV had a condition called "hot skin" where a mis-wired power feed from shore power was the real cause. This is a condition where a miswired power source or miswired shore cable cause there to be 120 volt "hot" power present on everything in the RV that is connected to the ground side of the AC power system, this includes the chassis, and everything connected to the chassis like the step, the metal parts of the stove, and metal parts of anything that with a thee prong plug with ground pin that gets plugged in!

UPDATE: The OP indicated that he got a fault current between the case of the hot plate and the stove top. It might have not been "hot skin" it might have been a HOT NEUTRAL Reversal. This would match the situation. This can be quickly found with a outlet checker. This can happen if someone replaced the plug on the shore cable and mis-wired it or someone mis-wired the outlet that the shore cable is plugged in to.

In any case I hope the OP gets a qualified RV repair person with electrical skill to investigate and resolve the issue before further use of the RV with shore power connected.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I wonder if that black wire was just a bonding wire run to chassis ground. If so perhaps the entire RV had a condition called "hot skin" where a mis-wired power feed from shore power was the real cause. This is a condition where a miswired power source or miswired shore cable cause there to be 120 volt "hot" power present on everything in the RV that is connected to the ground side of the AC power system, this includes the chassis, and everything connected to the chassis like the step, the metal parts of the stove, and metal parts of anything that with a thee prong plug with ground pin that gets plugged in!

UPDATE: The OP indicated that he got a fault current between the case of the hot plate and the stove top. It might have not been "hot skin" it might have been a HOT NEUTRAL Reversal. This would match the situation. This can be quickly found with a outlet checker. This can happen if someone replaced the plug on the shore cable and mis-wired it or someone mis-wired the outlet that the shore cable is plugged in to.

In any case I hope the OP gets a qualified RV repair person with electrical skill to investigate and resolve the issue before further use of the RV with shore power connected.
Your update electrical theory is very plausible, For if this was factory wiring, how was the trailer used between 2020 and today.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-07-2024, 07:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Reminds me of a day long ago that I went out on a service order to install phone service into an old single wide house trailer that was set up next to an old run down house. As I walked around surveying the situation looking for existing phone wires, I knelt down to look underneath with one hand on the metal siding and as soon as my knee hit the ground I got that tingle. Upon walking around the back I discovered a number of the cheap brown extension cords hooked together coming out of a house window stretched out and into one of the trailer windows. Some folks think they’re pretty clever clipping the wide tang on a plug to make it fit.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I don't think it's possible to hook a live wire to a metal frame on a stove. that would be a short and pop the breaker I would think,maybe I'm wrong
agree 100%
Old 02-08-2024, 06:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakm View Post
Reminds me of a day long ago that I went out on a service order to install phone service into an old single wide house trailer that was set up next to an old run down house. As I walked around surveying the situation looking for existing phone wires, I knelt down to look underneath with one hand on the metal siding and as soon as my knee hit the ground I got that tingle. Upon walking around the back I discovered a number of the cheap brown extension cords hooked together coming out of a house window stretched out and into one of the trailer windows. Some folks think they’re pretty clever clipping the wide tang on a plug to make it fit.

And it amazes me how many people don't know 120VAC does have a polarity.

Tags
electrical