Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ford F-53 Recall 21S17 March 24, 2021: Inadequate rear axle oil fill volume

I have a 2021 Winnebago Sunstar 32M. My motorhome is awaiting the rear axle parts to clear this recall. I purchased the unit new, but it had 1200 miles on the odometer, far more then the 5 miles for an easy fix.

My local Ford dealer, who does deal with heavy trucks, is awaiting parts. They cite the recent "supply chain" issues, combined with supply and demand.

Are others out there facing this issue? Maybe all we can do is commiserate together, but at least we will not be alone.
Peso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Are others out there facing this issue? Maybe all we can do is commiserate together, but at least we will not be alone.
Plenty of others are in the same boat as you. Not all F53s are effected but thousands are. Not just Class A's but Class C's on the F53 from ALL manufacturers are plagued by this.

It seems they found the issue after a while and made a fix at the factory. It's all the delivered chassis before the fix that are included.

I think there is at least one other generalized issue with the new chassis... spark plug wires. But I also think that this is limited to a specific build time frame.

As far as "supply chain" it's likely their supplier can't suddenly supply that many extra parts to accommodate the recall.

I have seen on other forums where some folks have their RVs back from the repair. But I don't know how long they waited for them.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

At least you have a local dealer that will work on your recall. The closest Ford dealer to me is over 60 miles away. Stupid Ford!
Gymbow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

F 53 March recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
I have a 2021 Winnebago Sunstar 32M. My motorhome is awaiting the rear axle parts to clear this recall. I purchased the unit new, but it had 1200 miles on the odometer, far more then the 5 miles for an easy fix.

My local Ford dealer, who does deal with heavy trucks, is awaiting parts. They cite the recent "supply chain" issues, combined with supply and demand.

April til October parts just replaced 2021. Vista 29 V
Long wait. . Purchased new in Nov 2020. Traded in a 2020 View

One learns patience by practicing it. Hope I need more practice now.
Would have been good to get away from S Ariz this summer. But we flew to the San Juan Islands instead. We are fortunate. the rest of the world does not have such choices
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I didn't know there were any parts involved for the low differential fluid. Some owners just topped it off themselves and went on.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I didn't know there were any parts involved for the low differential fluid. Some owners just topped it off themselves and went on.
That is a risky strategy. If Ford thinks that the differential internals may be damaged, I would let them do it.

David
Old 11-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to the iRV2 forums, I learned of this issue right after taking delivery of ours in March. Topped it off and have driven about 10,000 miles with no issue. Local Ford Truck service center has now ordered parts (rear wheel bearings per the recall) and will call me when they arrive so I don't have to park it and wait.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
That is a risky strategy. If Ford thinks that the differential internals may be damaged, I would let them do it.

David
I have to agree with David, Just topping off the fluids does not clear the recall and can cause resale problems. Topping off and driving until the parts arrive runs the risk of a rear axle failure.

There is never a good or safe time for that to happen.

Ford has said that "non OEM parts" parts may be used, but that still will not clear the recall notice until OEM parts are installed. Not a lot of help there.

Has anyone heard of some Winnebago or RV Industry response to this issue?
Old 12-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Just an update on this issue. On 18 Dec 2021, my local Ford dealer returned my Winnebago Sunstar and the rear axle has been replaced and fixed. "Only" took three months.

Tags
ford, recall