Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2005 winnebago 26a front axle-rear axle distribution way off

Any help? Company states max 4600 frt 9600 rear. I have moved as much as I can up front. But no change. Two trips to 2 different scales showed 2600 frt. 9900 rear. What the heck? My wife and I are leaving for a month from Montana to Maryland and I am kind of freaking out.
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl View Post
Any help? Company states max 4600 frt 9600 rear. I have moved as much as I can up front. But no change. Two trips to 2 different scales showed 2600 frt. 9900 rear. What the heck? My wife and I are leaving for a month from Montana to Maryland and I am kind of freaking out.
I assume that the chassis under your Class C is a Ford E450?

Your weight in the rear is indeed pretty high ... considering that your Class C is only about a 27 foot motorhome. Try weighing it with no water in the fresh water tank and with both the grey tank and the black tank empty.

You can travel with all three of those tanks about empty if you have to.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

the issue of being overweight has been discussed on the forums quite a bit. If you are heavy the least you can do is properly inflate your tires and keep a safe stopping distance.

for further info you could do searches on this and the other sprinter & IRv2 forums - usually the first thing to do before posting, you'll catch on & good luck
Old 05-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
DAB
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2018 Minnie Winnie 26a and weighed it on truck scales. 4350 on the front and 8500 on the back. This was with tanks about half full. It drives great. I did put a Roadmaster steering stabilizer on it which did help. The biggest factor was to pump up the Firestone air bladders on the rear axle to 70 psi. It does NOT drive like my 5.0 Mustang GT.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 AM   #5

HaHa!

Freak out! That's as 70's disco song if I remember right. ...Something about a Sheik?

Seriously, you are so close!

This has to be your first RV. Everyone knows Class C run over weight! They somehow the manufactures pass DMV standards dry... and then you come along and overload your vehicle.

Join the club.

Not me. I am rolling down the road in a Class A, but we come close to the same problem as you.

Not to worry. After you travel 150 miles you will be legal again! Your gas tanks are putting more weight on your rear tires vs. your front. That's all.

I'm just saying you are "good to go." But if it makes you feel better. Feel free to play the song about the Sheik... "Freak out!"

...And next time you might try leaning forward when you go to the scales. That might help!

Funny post. 175 watchers and only 3 replies... so far!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

... ok, so you are 3.2% (300 lbs.) overweight in the rear. Just be sure to adjust your tire pressures to your tire MFG's specs; you should be fine. And, if the ambient temps change, be sure to check pressures every morning before heading out.

1 gallon of gas weighs about 6.5 lbs; 1 gallon of water about 8.5 lbs. Easy to do the math if your concerns continue.

Enjoy the trip.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl View Post
Welcome to the forum Phyl.

A bit more information about your RV would be helpful. Go to the "Users CP" above on the left and fill in all the relevant information. You can even publish this in your signature.

Are your tanks holding anything when you weigh? LP & fuel topped off? (I run with about 2/3 potable water when dry docking between campgrounds.)
I hope we can help you figure this out.
Rick Y

Tags
winnebago