Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fan leaking

I have a 07 sunova 35j. It has been raining heavy for about a week now in the Seattle area. When I went out to the RV I found that water was getting in from around the ceiling fan in the main living area. There is also slight discoloration around the fan on the ceiling. I am putting a tarp on the roof for now. Can someone give me some tips for this repair, and maybe some product ideas for sealing the leak. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Team

You probably need to re-caulk (Dicor self leveling) or use some Eternabond tape to seal the joint between the outside housing and the roof. Eternabond does a nice job on seaing straight lines.

Either way get a good cleaner for the area you plan to seal. Mineral Spirits, isopropyl alcohol are things I carry.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Rather than simply re-caulking, I suggest removing the vent completely, cleaning everything carefully and re-mount with an appropriate sealant. In my experience, once a roof-mounted vent, skylight, etc. has leaked, the sealant under the flange has failed, at least in spots.

I agree with Thom that sealing with Eternabond tape is the way to go, once it's properly mounted.

Depending on the overall condition of your vent, you might want to consider replacing it. You can replace it with a current model similar to what you have or upgrade.

Winnebago publishes "Sealant Call-Out Sheets" and here's the link to the one for your MH: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/..._d_sealant.pdf

And some more info on Winnebago Sealants: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...t%20Sheets.pdf

Winnebago part #131264-03-01A cross-references to Nuco 311: https://www.amazon.com/NUCO-Self-Lev.../dp/B00NUKWY5G

According to the info in the second PDF, #131264-05-02A is non-self-leveling, which I surmise is used under the flange.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunger View Post
I have a 07 sunova 35j. It has been raining heavy for about a week now in the Seattle area.
It's been raining heavy in the Seattle area for over a month! That's why we're starting to see landslides.

I would suggest upgrading your fan to one of those Maxair (or whatever they are called) units, as long as you have to remove the existing fan. One with the larger fan blades that will more more air.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses. When the rain let's up for 48 hours, I'll remove clean and then reseal.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Check the units bolts. Our previous owner did not snug the bolts tight, so even though I caulked everywhere it was still leaking…once I removed the inner cover I discovered one of three bolts was loose and the others only finger-tight.
Once I tightened them up the leak finally stopped.
MIkey3air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Of course do double check that the lid on the vent it not cracked before tearing the mount apart. Do you also have a vent cover in place that allows you to leave the vent open while its raining? Sometimes people do not apply sealant to the bolts they put through the neck of the vent when installing the rain covers so that in heavy rains water may get driven in around those mounting points in the side of the vent.

I still have the original Fantastic Fan Vents on my 2001 and so far have not had a problem with them that Fantastic's reps at RV shows did not just hand you the repair parts at no charge apologizing for the inconvenience.

Tags
fan, leak