Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dometic 56" Door Awning for 2008 Journey 39Z

My power door awning would extend but not retract. Shop "fixed" but admitted they weren't sure if it worked. It did for a month. I just repacked the second complete assembly I purchased from a big RV salvage company, both damaged, junk. Contacted the big Winnebago dealer, Lichtenstein, they just said we don't have, its discontinued, no other suggestions. I realize I won't be able to match black cherry canvas, just happy to get black hardware. Appreciate any recommendations or suggestions. After the salvage experience ($580 + ship) will buy new if I can't find better used product.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are in a similar situation with our 2005 Journey. Having heard from one dealer that new dometic awnings are taking 3-4 months to arrive i went with carefree. I saved the awning fabric from the dometic and hoping i can just swap it out since our fabric color is no longer available
Old 01-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Can you give me details on canvas switch, assuming you bought a whole new assembly with canvas. Where would I find Carefree?
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Carefree is Carefree of Colorado. I am ordering from ShadePro.net since they also specialize in replacement awing fabric. In our case I am custom
ordering "forest green" fabric as our "spruce" is no longer available. If the color is too far off i will pull the fabric from the old awning by removing the two screws at each end of the fabric and slide it out of the old housing even though the old fabric is only 48" wide (vs 50" on the new awning) it should fit if the length is similar. Shade Pro will do custom fabric for the awning if they carry it stock...i beleive they use sunbrella and going to the sunbrella website they show a "black cherry". To find the over the door awning on shade pro's site select "window awnings" and scroll to the bottom of the page and door awning will be there. You will notice that carefree has you order by "fabric width". I am ordering 50" as when i go to Carefree's site it shows the housing extends approx 3" past each end of the fabric which should give me a housing length of 56" similar to the dometic being replaced.

Tags
awning, door, journey