Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

broken front shock bracket

Hello, I own a 2009 Journey 34y and have it in for service and received a call from the shop today stating I had a serious safety issue with my rig. The tech advised the bracket that holds my right front shock has completely broken free from where it was welded in place. He told me it would be about 28 hours worth of labor which amounted to a large bill. Anyone heard of such a thing, that seems like a lot of labor time at $180/hour. I have my rig at Transwest Truck Trailer RV in Frederick, CO and they are a reputable shop. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Unless there is some serious rusting around the area which would have to be cut out and replaced with new steel I think it can be cleaned up and rewelded even adding additional bracing..the shock mount is an important part of the suspension but it could be much worse if it was the leaf spring anchor mount ..seems an eccessive amount to me $$$$
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
Unless there is some serious rusting around the area which would have to be cut out and replaced with new steel I think it can be cleaned up and rewelded even adding additional bracing..the shock mount is an important part of the suspension but it could be much worse if it was the leaf spring anchor mount ..seems an eccessive amount to me $$$$
I was wondering if they had to tear apart a large amount of the body to get in to weld, but yes it does seem excessive.

Decades ago I took my vehicle into the dealer for an alignment, work they shop out. I've been going to that alignment shop ever since because what they did was rather than make me buy entirely new struts they simply re-drilled the holes in the old ones and then welded washers in place to bring the alignment back. I think the OP may need someone with that type of originality.