Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Bill,
A friend sent me this link. Awesome job. Your Picasa presentation was very clear and wonderfully thorough. I will be sending you a PM soon to get that PP presentation.
Mine just started making noise the middle of June and I just now got a chance to really figure out where it is coming from. Unfortunately, mine is the other blower that circulates air through the coach. Not the one you serviced.
Since my coach is just over a year old and the AC unit has a 2 year warranty, I am going to have it done by someone else this time.
Pubtym, thanks for the additional helpful hints. I totally agree with items a and c. I think that will minimize long term maintenance.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I suggest to anyone to copy these inst and pic for future ref if the site adm's dont make the inst a perm feature. As far as Im concerned there arnt enough adjectives to discribe how good these instructions are.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I've uploaded this procedure in PDF format to "Google "Site" so you can download and save a copy to your computer or print a hardcopy.

Here's the link to the pdf.

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. Yes, I was a tech writer in the early years of my engineering career.

It's now been a couple of months since I repaired my unit and it's working real well. That new plastic blower is much quieter that the original metal blower. Standing in front of my rig, you can hardly tell the A/C is running.

Good luck,
Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

DUNER: Fantastic PDF file. I printed and will keep in the black folder. Even if I never remove one myself. I think any HVAC place would appreciate having this kind of information and tackle a job they might not take on other wise. Thanks again for a great write up and pictures.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I removed my unit by myself and it took less than 45 min. It took me less than 30 to put back. I will state again, fantastic inst. thanks again Bill. safe travels
Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Bill

Wonderful post, info and pictures! You have set the bar for excellence with this one. I will have to try and follow your example in future projects.

Thanks again for sharing the excellent work!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

OMG What else can I say. I just had the same issue. Heat pump and AC run for a minute with no outside blower running and shuts down. I will attempt this per your instructions.

I bet you are one of those guys who would still stop and help a stranded RVer. A rare find these days.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post.

03 Adventurer 35-U
Titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Bill,

While looking for info on another issue, I ran across your post on A/C removal.

Thank you for taking the time to document the proceedure. Up until this time, I dreaded the idea of ever removing the A/C unit. Now I feel very comfortable about taking on the task.

As a side note, my condolences to you for your loss. I looked at your other pics and it looked like you and Marie had a heck of a good time together.
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
Bill,

While looking for info on another issue, I ran across your post on A/C removal.

Thank you for taking the time to document the proceedure. Up until this time, I dreaded the idea of ever removing the A/C unit. Now I feel very comfortable about taking on the task.

As a side note, my condolences to you for your loss. I looked at your other pics and it looked like you and Marie had a heck of a good time together.
Thanks to all for the great feedback. When I get the positive comments it makes the initial effort to put that procedure together very rewarding.

BuddyP, or anybody else, if you get into an A/C repair or have any specific questions, just send me a PM or email (it's in my profile, at least it was in the forum s/w).

Ya, I miss Marie a lot....
Bill
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I just found this. What a great write up. Thanks Duner!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Fantastic. We are fulltimers now and the A/C has really been getting a workout the last two years. After living in Alaska for 40 years we are still not acclimated to the lower 48. With a sick wife that needs the A/C 24/7 I have tried to find how to service the unit myself and have been unsuccessful until now. You know Murphys law saws it will quit in the middle of nowhere when its 115 degrees. Thanks for the great details and pics. 2005 Meridian.
ravenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Man, this is better than Shop Class. Very nice work!!
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Agree with the compliments on the write-up for the basement air removal, which we all will be faced with sooner or later.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Squirrel Cage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I've uploaded this procedure in PDF format to "Google "Site" so you can download and save a copy to your computer or print a hardcopy.

Here's the link to the pdf.

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. Yes, I was a tech writer in the early years of my engineering career.

It's now been a couple of months since I repaired my unit and it's working real well. That new plastic blower is much quieter that the original metal blower. Standing in front of my rig, you can hardly tell the A/C is running.

Good luck,
Great job! I have a question about the squirrel cage. If everything is working just fine, is replacing the squirrel cage worth it for increased air flow, or is it just a marginal improvement? What year did Winnebgo go with the new squirrel cage? Would the new type already be in my 2008?Joe
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone removed their AC unit on a Diesel? I have a 2003 Journey and the start capaciter for the outdoor blower needs replaced. Bills instructions were excellent and he stated on a Diesel the AC unit has to be lowered vs. a gas unit it slides out the side. I looked at mine and it appears the AC unit cannot be lowered due to a welded cross beam under the rear. Anyone have any experience removing these AC units on a Diesel?

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

I had a private message exchange with Duner not long ago a really respect his posting and experience with the basement air removal and service. Basically I was asking for advice. Mine was squeaking a bit so I printed out his instructions and started getting my courage up to tackle at least lubricating the squirrel cage bearings. While comparing Duner’s instructions with what I was looking at while under the rig I started tapping around and listening to the squeaking/scaping sound through a plastic tube trying to isolate specifically where the noise was coming from. I couldn’t locate it and it seemed to be all around and not from one end of the squirrel cage or the other. Then I tapped on the bottom of the unit lightly and the noise level increased momentarily. Then I rapped the area a bit harder; -- the noise got louder momentarily, -- and then, - just the nice hum the A/C should have.

So my theory is there was just some crud at the bottom of the squirrel cage housing that had accumulated after 4 years. The tolerance is quite small there and just a tiny bit of gravel or mud could have created my noise. I blasted some water from a garden hose toward the opening from underneath just to make sure any junk got swept out. Thus far it is running smoothly. However, - I’m going to order the newer blower and bearings to carry along as insurance.

Thanks again Duner,
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Florida Guy..... I just had mine out a few weeks ago. I have a 2001 Horizon, which should be the same basic chassis as yours. On mine, I did not have to lower it out the bottom. I thought it had to, and spent HOURS working to get the bottom bracket out, using a motorcycle jack, pry bars, etc. After getting the unit out, I realized I only had to loosen the two nuts on the back of the frame, and then loosened the front bolts until they were almost out (about 2"). The unit is wedged in pretty tight to ensure a good seal against the indoor return air duct. Once broke loose, it will drop down to the bracket and slide out as indicated in Duner's post like a gasser unit. I had to take it out a couple of times to get things right. The first time was about 4 hours (no exaggeration!). Once I figured it all out, I could get the unit out in under 30 minutes.
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
2004 Horizon DP, and the RVP unit slides out the side similar to Duner. It does take at least two men to slide and lift. My local heat/air guy will be replacing #1 compressor. And apparently it never had a filter used because the return air fins are almost blocked!
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

What a valuable resource this thread continues to be. Thank you Duner. My blower bearings are noisy, and I don;t know if I should have started this project today, as we are supposedly leaving for a trip this week (maybe not now...), but I did. It took me about 4 hours to loosen the 2 long 3/4" bolts at the front bracket (actually had to cut one of them off, as PB Blaster didn't do it). Now I am struggling with the supply air brackets, (also different from the O.P.), and the 2 rear bolts. Then I should be able to slide it out.

But once I get it removed, Duner's info is better than a service manual, and I hope to at least get some oil in the bearings before our trip, as I will not have time to order and receive new ones.

My unit is 10 years old, and this is the first time it is being removed, Thanks again for your helpful photo-essay how to.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
Winnebago Watcher

Dunner Done It

Thank you sir for documenting this detailed procedure. My A/C blower has begun vibrating to the point that I feel like I sleep on a bed vibrator. Our 04 Adventure as less than 28K miles and is structurally sound. This is a job I can do. I am certain to save $$$ by following your instructions.
Too bad there is not a trap door on unit that allows access without removal. On second thought, removal probably gives you better access to fix other stuff that can be seen clearly.
WagginMaster is offline   Reply With Quote