Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2023, 06:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Awning getting hung up on slide topper?

Went to open the awning a little while ago and it comes out of its metal cover and starts to come open but stops just over the rear slide topper, then continues to "unroll" but the arms arn't moving. It fully retracts. This is the first time I've ever used it, but I did open and close it when I was there to look at and buy the rig so it worked fine a month ago. Do I just keep the open button pressed? I am in the desert and dont want awning issues..... My fault for not opening it at the previous 8-9 RV parks I was just at with repair guys just a phone call away. Its this style awning / slide..

Old 12-07-2023, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi FT RV,
I wonder if you first retracted the slide-out, would the awning then deploy OK?
Eagle5
Old 12-07-2023, 10:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Just pull on one of the arms to coax it past the obstruction. It will spring out and be fine.

What happens is that occasionally the awning doesn’t roll up as tight as usual and this makes it a larger roll of awning material which gets slightly hung up.

My awning does this maybe 30% of the time. I just stop extending and pull on the stuck arm and boom it releases and breaks free. Then I finish unfurling the awning.

Owning an RV is tons of little surprises. Pretty soon you learn to roll with the punches.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys, I was going to pull the slide in and try again tomorrow but I'll do what creativepart said instead, I figured it was something simple.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a similar awning on my Classs C. I was taught to let it out in slow bursts to allow the struts and springs to "catch" up. Depending on the age and use the struts may need replacement. Another huge help is to make sure all the piviot points and rub areas are well lubed.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have an Aspect and the awning does the same thing. I do exactly what creativepart says and it comes right out. I don't hold the switch while pulling the awning out to catch up. Once tight, I use the switch and it completely opens. Doesn't bother me since have gotten used to doing this to help it along!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Worked like a charm, and once it was open I greased all the joints / pivot points. I also had to fight to get the generator running too, its barely been used. Big fan of use it or lose it!
Old 12-08-2023, 01:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Excellent news about the awning. We WD 40 our hinge joints frequently which helps. We use our Aspect a lot but not the generator often. Takes a bit of priming on the inside panel but then runs great. Enjoy!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1 View Post
Excellent news about the awning. We WD 40 our hinge joints frequently which helps. We use our Aspect a lot but not the generator often. Takes a bit of priming on the inside panel but then runs great. Enjoy!

Just a quick fyi, be careful with WD40, its a solvent and washes oil/grease away. I know they market it as a lubricant but its really not. We drained the oil out of a DA sander and filled it with WD40 and it blew up within 30 seconds lol. Then it all made sense why the chain on my bike was always rusty a few days after spraying it with that stuff as a kid.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:06 AM   #10
Ted & Lynne

do you think graphite would work or would it get all gummy in the joint? works great for key holes but maybe not here
Old 12-10-2023, 05:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Fyden View Post
do you think graphite would work or would it get all gummy in the joint? works great for key holes but maybe not here
I prefer silicone spray or white lube spray.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Awning

Ted,

I have a white Carefree Awning (Latitude Series) on our 2020 Winnie NAVION and I would not dare use black graphite on any part of that unit. Might be O.K., but white awnings tend to get dirty and stain rather quickly. And they can flap in the wind. WD40 is a bit overrated in my opinion. Seems to disappear quickly. I'm using white silicon grease in some mechanical actions, but not all.

However, if the participants and OP here will indulge me, I would like to describe a problem that has just surfaced with our Carefree Awning. The last time it was extended, we experienced a gust of wind which generated a sharp snap/crack type noise. The awning retracted slowly making additional cracking noises in the process. We had to depart so I wrapped a bungee around the end of the awning to prevent it from extending at highway speeds. At home, we removed the bungee and extended the awning once. Same noise, but it extended properly. Same noise when it was retracted.

Anybody out there have any suggestions/ideas/suggestions??

Apologies to FT RV for hi-jacking his thread.
cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 01:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem and it appeared to be the larger metal awning cover that rolled up over the fabric. I always had to help it by pulling on the arms.

I replaced the awing material and elected to leave off the metal cover and since then I've not had the problem. I guess the weight of the metal was causing it to rest on the topper and hang.

Tags
awning, slide