Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

water getting into awning

I have a 2008 View ,my problem is that I somehow accumulate water in my rolled up main awning .
It's dry as a bone when I roll it up ,and the next time I unroll it is soaked and smelling of mildew .
Can this happen if we drive it when it's raining ?
I put it in storage last fall and I had a canvas cover on it .
I'm at a loss ,I can't figure it out .
Any ideas ?
John M
Old 07-30-2018, 04:39 AM   #2
HFA
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2016 Solera that did the same thing. I don't have a solution for you. I don't know if it was condensation or capillary action or a combination. Since it was parked at home, I would go out every once in a while on a dry day and open it up to let it dry out. I would also clean it a couple times a year. I now have a new Navion. I haven't yet seen this problem with it, but I'll be watching for it.
HFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Every RV we had in the past 30 years did that to some degree even while setting in the driveway. One of life's mysteries I suppose. Like HFA said, I open it up and let it dry on sunny days and clean it a few times a year.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'm thinking ,that those PVC awning covers might help keep moisture out ,and protect the fabric from the suns

UV rays.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Yes us too

Yes, our awning does this too and we have come to take this for granted and roll her out at every opportunity. Our ships previous owner never did and it was a mold factory but we sorted it out pretty quick. seems endemic to the awning.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We experience this, also. I believe that, as HFA says, it may be capillary action. The awning is rolled up, it rains, and water seeps in. It may be from condensation during cool temperatures and high humidity. But, not likely on warm, dry days.
I saw a video months back wherein a fellow took a two-liter pop bottle, cut off the narrow end, cut a slit along one side, and slipped it over the end of the awning. He did this for both ends. I’m going to try it.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
CoveredWagon

The only advantage I see of the PVC cover is protection from sun and debris The ends are still open and water can seep past the rolls. The thread on the edge and upper seems also wick water, allowing it to seep onto the vinyl. I have found that awnings made from Sunbrella (woven acrylic fabric) seems to withstand the moisture better than vinyl, but it is much higher priced too!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have this water seeping into the awning issue with our 2016 Winnebago View. My brother has a 2015 View, but has the hard aluminum cover on the awning and does not have any water seeping issues. Does anyone know if they sell the aluminum cover as an after market item?
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
CoveredWagon

Hi Pathfinder! The awnings with the aluminum shield are made differently. The shield is actually the top foot or so of the awning and is the attachment point for the fabric part. They are expensive too! During the 16 years that I was in a canvas business I only repaired the fabric on 1 of the aluminum shielded awnings. Mainly because most people go for the less expensive awnings and just replace the fabric every few years. If you are handy...and have a few friends to help, you can replace the fabric yourself in an hour or so. You can buy replacement fabric for less than $500 on Ebay, but you may be able to buy direct from Dometic for less.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Covered Wagon. We store it a half hour away from home, so aren’t able to open it up as frequently as we would like, but sounds like it makes sense to just replace as needed. Any suggestions on cleaning materials to help clean off and mold that grows or to prevent it from growing while the awning is closed?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #11
CoveredWagon

I use mild soap and water and a soft bristle brush to clean mine. A liquid dish soap works good as it cuts through atmospheric sludge(?) and is easy to rinse off. For a brush I use a telescoping car wash brush (WalMart for about $15). It extends enough to reach the upper sections of the awning, but collapses enough to store in a side compartment. I also use the brush when cleaning these fine Missouri bugs off of my windshield! Make sure the awning fabric is well rinsed and dry before closing it again.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ok, thanks again!

Tags
awning, water