Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
unclescratch

attaching Alumagard to RV

My Class A has three awnings, but only two have the roll-up aluminum covers (Carefree calls this "Alumagard") I have scrounged some used Alumagard for my 3rd awning, but I need the narrow fabric piece with the rubber tubing on 'each' side that will attach to the 'c' channel on the alumagard and the RV also. 1st, this should be doable, right? Second, where to get that attaching piece?
I contacted Carefree, but as soon as they saw "Dometic" on the I.D. tag on the awning they dropped me like a hot potato! "You'll have to go to Dometic for that." Rats!! Contacting dometic seems impossible. Sh%t! Any thoughts on this??? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's the Dometic Slide Out Awnings website.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...de-out-awnings

At the top of the page you'll find "Support". Then Find a Dealer. Over on the far left is a Category icon. Click that and scroll down to RV Awnings.

I would think many of those "dealers" would be able to order parts. You'll find some in Kingman about 45 miles south of you and a great many in Vegas about 45 miles northwest of you.

A few of those are Camping World, which I usually avoid, but there are others listed there too.

You probably should call a few folks on the list to speak to some parts people that are able to get you the part you need.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
unclescratch

Thanks for the link. I spoke w/Nicole @customer support. Unfortunately, (for all of us), Dometic can only deal with or access items with their part numbers (which I have). There is no option to engage technical support, engineering or a shop foreman to track down what I need. In fact, Nicole told me that Dometic no longer offers RV awnings with these aluminum covers! Too bad, I think they are very functional and to some degree very necessary. So my search continues...........
Old 04-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
Thanks for the link. I spoke w/Nicole @customer support. Unfortunately, (for all of us), Dometic can only deal with or access items with their part numbers (which I have). There is no option to engage technical support, engineering or a shop foreman to track down what I need. In fact, Nicole told me that Dometic no longer offers RV awnings with these aluminum covers! Too bad, I think they are very functional and to some degree very necessary. So my search continues...........
I'm confused by the above comment. You say you have Dometic's part number so why won't they deal with you?

If you're lucky, SailRite's "awning ropes" might work. You could have them sewn onto an appropriate strip of fabric (Sunbrella), making sure the thread is UV resistant. Check out the right hand sidebar of this page:

https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Aluminum-48

(Note that there's a down arrow that leads to more choices.)

Also, here's a wider search on "Keder Awning Ropes":

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kede...hrome&ie=UTF-8

However, if all else fails, you may be able to get something made. If you were here in CA, I'd tell you to seek out a sailmaker. Sails use systems like you describe to slot into channels on the mast and booms. Typically these involve the sail fabric being wrapped around a piece of cord sized so as to fit the channel. On the other hand, since you have a sample of what you need a creative upholsterer might be able to help. They make similar things to edge cushions. Just be sure all materials are UV resistant.

I'd also call around to every independent RV shop you can find. Who knows what someone has on the shelf in their back room?

Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
unclescratch

Bobc: Although I have the tag from the original awning which I replaced, (therefore the dometic part number), the original awning did not have the alumagard. So Nicole could not come up with what I needed. She went on to say that they don't even do that aluminum shield for awnings anymore.
That Keder awning rope looks like it would work if I overlapped two pieces and glued them together w/Contact cement. I wonder how the glue holds up to shear?
I also have a query in to Winnebago parts to learn if they can come-up with what I need. Waiting for their response.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'd have it stitched at a commercial awning or upholstery shop. I don't think I'd just trut glue, especially after it's been exposed to the heat of the sun.

After you glued it, you should punch some holes and sew it yourself with one of these sewing awls made for sewing leather:

https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather.../dp/B00A2C8M6K

I've had one since I was a kid and have used it on leather, canvas, sailboat sails, etc. You can buy dacron thread made for sails.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #7
unclescratch

BobC: Very good and very interesting. Thanks, BobC !
Old 04-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #8
unclescratch

awning rope

I bought some of that Keder 5/16 awning rope. It's too fat (the 5/16) to fit into the channel. They have nothing smaller. rats! Still in the hunt......
Old 04-02-2023, 03:12 AM   #9
Just Trying to Help

unclescratch-

Call Ingrid at Stone Vos. I found she and her staff knowledgeable and very helpful. They make awnings and these "soft connect" pieces, and sell parts. [Note: "Soft connect" is a Carefree term; there are similar ones for other manufacturers.] A link to the Web site is here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:29 PM   #10
unclescratch

I scrounged-up an awning with a topper from an out of service class C. The fabric was actually in great shape! I was able to retrieve the fully metal attaching component and fitted it onto my existing slide topper. Now I have slide toppers, protecting all the material of my three awnings from the sun as I only have outside (in AZ) storage for my rig. Great Thanks to all who responded to my thread. God Bless You!