Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2024, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air manifold/distributor leaking 2002 Journey 36DL

I was feeling pretty good today after breaking my butt and changing all four shocks on my '02 Winnie Journey 36DL. Until I shut it off and heard an air leak in the genny compartment. So there is a Rexroth air manifold that is leaking air from several points on the blue housing (see pic) which tells me that something inside has ruptured and air is escaping from any opening it can find. The existing part # is PW -067715-00004, replacement part is readily available:
# R432016662 (Rexroth Series 740 Single and Double Solenoid Valves, 5/2 (4 Way/2 Position) albeit for $150+.

My question is, what the heck does this supply air to? It seems to be independent of the air horn air supply and the only other pneumatic operation in the coach is the step cover. What function does this perform?

I'm also a little nervous about taking apart 21 YO plastic airlines and trying to re-connect them without leaks.

Anyone have any info or advice?
Thanks, Darwin
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This time with a working picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_172721 (1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	188188
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Could it be distributing air to the suspension?

Aaron?
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That is a 12V solenoid controlling an in/out function, without knowing your MH, it can control the step cover, genset slide or something else.
I have a similar 12V solenoid that controls the step cover. It began sticking and leaking. I removed the compressed air inlet line, added several drops of air-tool oil then worked the shuttle valve inside several times to distribute the air-tool oil. After several times moving the shuttle valve it began working properly.
Another such valve required disassembling, replacing all O-rings and using that same oil, it has worked fine for the last 5 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Just looking at it without knowing much more, it looks like the electrical control is on left and then there seems to be one line coming in from the source, leaving 4 outputs. That makes a first guess being four items with the same function? Four corners, sounds like four suspension items?
Since it is definitely broken, I would go for taking the cover off and looking at where air comes in, where it should go out and why it is not getting from A to B!
A bit harder but if for some reason you want to know what it does, possibly trace a line to find where it goes?
But for my purpose, I don't care what it does as much as I want it to work! Leaking air sounds like brittle rubber seals or plastic part!
An optimist might think a fitting inside came loose after twenty years of bumping around?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

morich, that 12V solenoid configuration is, top of picture is 1 inlet line and 2 exhaust ports, the bottom shows 2 pressure lines to control direction of an air cylinder.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-13-2024, 12:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
morich, that 12V solenoid configuration is, top of picture is 1 inlet line and 2 exhaust ports, the bottom shows 2 pressure lines to control direction of an air cylinder.
Ok! Looking closer, I do see it now as ports rather than two lines going through a black wall!
I went through a few years when I was expected to know everything about everything and several times got calls from nearby areas to go fix things that somebody somewhere thought I might fix by magic!
Some times we just have to look at it long enough to get some ideas and try them until we find out , "that didn't work!"

Butting my head on the wall was considered okay as they could not reach anybody else, so I was IT!
Being retired and not having to answer the phone is lots more fun!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ya, 2-demsional pictures can be hard to see details..

Tags
leak, journey