Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Abs comm failure

So been driving across the south for a few days. Get up and get ready to to take off. Turn the key to start the engine and immediately the leveling jacks retracted and I got the messages: ABS COMM FAILURE and NO CCM-ABS COM and of course the "no kidding" CHECK ABS.
Rig of course starts but will not come out of Park with this situation so effectively stuck. After 30-60 mins went to check again exactly what the messages were. Somehow it let me put it in drive and all alarms were off. Did not shut the rig down until arrival at destination. Set Parking brake and left in in neutral.
The issue has not gone away, and it seems like it is not gonna reset itself again.
Anybody know anything ab out this issue? I can turn a wrench, but need somewhere to start and what to look for.
Thanx in advance,
ron
rondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Hey Ron,
Sorry for your problem... but to even start to help we need to know the year and model of your RV and also the type of engine/chassis, too. So, please respond with your info

PS. It would be best to put that info also in your Signature in your Profile... like on mine and many others seen below.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Who Knew?

lol, sorry...
2008 37GL Adventurer Limited. Workhorse chasis. GM 8.1
rondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Do a Google search for ABS Comms failure on 2008 GMC 8.1

There is a LOT of possible things out there including a TSB about generalized comms failures for that year/engine:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43829-6448.pdf

There were other things mentioned as well. Basically, you have a Workhorse Chassis/GM issue not a Winnebago issue and you should look for answers based on that.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have not run into on a workhorse but on my Ford F series truck if the fuse to the brake lights is blown you cannot take the truck out of park. If you let it sit about 15 minutes with the switch turned off you can move the shifter out of park to neutral. Then you can start the truck switch to drive. Did this several times before I discovered when I plugged into my trailer connector it blew the brake light fuse and would not let me take it out of park. The workhouse may not be the same but it would not hurt to check to see if you have brake lights.
Mark Y is offline   Reply With Quote