Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

ABS Light is On

How do you remove the ABS sensors from the rear wheels on a 2005 Itasca Meridian Freightliner XC chassis.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I feel your pain......

I have an ongoing problem with the ABS light comming on. I went to a Cummins/workhorse place and they replaced the right rear wheel sensor. The first trip we took the ABS light came on. It was intermittent, going off after we stopped and shut down for the night. next day all was well....for a while. The light came on midway on that trip...and again went out.

I took the coach in to the place where I normally go for the pre season work (Engine & generator service, etc). The ABS light was not on at that time, but I had them check out (scan guage?)the code for the ABS. The found the code was for the right rear wheel. The mechanic could find no reason for the light being on as he checked the sensor and could find no problem. What he said is that the coach would need to be driven and experience the light comming on. He could then check the sensor. If the sensor was ok then it would more than likely be a wireing problem.

It just drives me nuts when the ABS lite comes on after driving a 100 miles or so and then goes off when it is shut down (The coach) and then the next time the lite comes on and stays on even after a prolonged shutdown of the system
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your response. We know of others who have experienced the light coming on intermittantly. Im inclined to do nothing until I can do more research.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Take a look at this link explains what you can do to clean them up.
Scrool down about 2 thirds down page.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Our old fleetwood had that problem also, and we really stressed about it alot, until getting multiple mechanics explaining the abs system, checking our hubs while driving, and gradually stopped worrying about it. It was intermittent, but would seem to pop on after going on bumpy roads. Weird.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Cleaning has cleared up the problem with mine both times it's happened.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Paulette:(also Codgerbill) Do you know if you have a faulty sensor??? I had problems with my ABS being intermittent very similar to what Codger described. I downloaded the maintenance manual for the ABS computer and system and using the manual I was able to get the ABS fault codes. The codes indicated the right rear wheel sensor was at fault. Using the maintenance manual I was able to determine the sensor was indeed open due to an intermittent connection in the cable. The cable is a shielded "RF" type cable and I elected to buy a new sensor. Cost was about $75. It took about an hour to remove wheels and drum, remove/replace sensor, and replace drum and wheels. Once the sensor was replaced my intermittent ABS light went out and has been out for several years....

In regards to your question of how to remove the sensor...

To remove/replace the ABS sensors on my rear axle the rear wheels needed to be removed and the brake drum is then removed. This is a 20,000 lb capacity axle, hence everything is very large and heavy. On my axle the brake drum is separate from the rear hub, very similar to most car type rear axles. This made the replacement job very easy as the axle and hub did not need to be removed, only the wheels and drum. On my front wheels, which is an IFS system, the ABS sensor can be accessed from the back of the hub assembly via a hole that is near the lower ball joint.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

ABS light

I have an update on the problem with the ABS light being on. I took the coach in today to have the fuel and air filters changed and have them look at my ABS problem. The owner of the shop checked the system out with the scangauge (first as it was sitting there in the parking lot and next he monitored it as it was being driven). There were error codes regarding the rear wheel ABS sensor. He checked the sensor itself and said it was ok. He then traced the wireing (underneath the coach)from the sensor to a connection block somewhere below the passenger seat. He found the connection block somewhat askew (come apart) and one of the two clips that hold the block together had come undone. After re-attaching the connection block he then test deove the coach and all codes had disappeared. I am thinking that this will also clear up the transmission problem that allison man said could be caused a ABS sensor problem.

Life is good
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote