Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2022, 07:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tow Dolly Inspection Checklist

I am looking at a 2018 EZE Tow Dolly with surge brakes. Any thoughts on what the inspection checklist should look like?
Rochaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Wow would have never thought of asking a tow dolly question like this.

Anyway I have been using a tow dolly for many years and miles. I guess if looking for used one I would start by looking at.

Tires age and tread ware.
Tow straps and ratchet system
Do lights work
Look at wheel wells, mine are starting to show age and welds starting to break.
It would be almost impossible to check the wheel bearings maybe raising the wheel off ground to check for play would work.

Check the distance between wheel wells then measure the longest distance between the vechile you want to tow. Not so much the wheels but trim etc.

Thats all i have
Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

May I suggest that you examine structural welds for cracking or failures.

A friend dropped off a dolly that has the bars providing structural stability to the beam for the tow hitch, have come detached from the hitch beam.

Looking at them, I question the design and fabrication techniques. And I am glad that he found the problems before towing a car and having a mishap.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I own an ez-tow and agree with other posters about issues to look for. Would like to add, ez-tow runs brake lines and light wiring on the bottom of the frame rail to each wheel. Readily exposed to rocks and debris - a pet peeve I hope to fix someday. Take a quick look down there.
Otherwise, it's a stout dolly.
Mogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogen View Post
I own an ez-tow and agree with other posters about issues to look for. Would like to add, ez-tow runs brake lines and light wiring on the bottom of the frame rail to each wheel. Readily exposed to rocks and debris - a pet peeve I hope to fix someday. Take a quick look down there.
Otherwise, it's a stout dolly.
I have this issue on another trailer, that is in my yard for a rewire. I was thinking of running the wires in small diameter conduit. I'll add the thought here, but it should probably be another post/thread.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is useful when pulling a tow dolly with a golf cart:
Attached Images

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow