Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Toad suggestions

I have a Lexus RX330 and I have heard that is not a good car to tow.

Here is my questions...

Choices:
Purchase a golf cart and trailer?
Purchase a two wheeled trailer to tow my current Lexus RX?
Purchase a used car for towing?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Most like to have a vehicle other than the rv with them ...

Get a used wrangler that can take you to places with names like "OH! Point" and Engineers Pass and is easy to hook up

https://www.google.com/search?q=oh+p...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 09-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We pull a 2013 Lincoln MKX. I think that it is about the same size as your RX330. The Lincoln pulls great. Limiting factor is speed it is limit to 65mph. Most of us don't go faster than that. The MKX should be run 15 min before towing. I pull it behind a 2015 Cambria 27K. I pulled it behind a 36 foot class A before we down sized. I originally pulled a 2013 Jeep wrangler. There is no speed limit and it was easier to get set up to pull.
Check to see if the RX330 can be towed 4 down.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If the RX330 is the Front Wheel Drive (not All Wheel Drive) version...it can be dolly towed very well.

Dolly towing = No mods to the car (like cutting/drilling in the critical crush zone of the car), the car is up-high and safe from rock strikes, there is no miles added to the lower drive-line of the car, and you can swap cars at will.

We have a very nice SUV that is not flat towable and have over 15,000 miles with it on our dolly. No second car, no add'l registration or insurance

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
If the RX330 is the Front Wheel Drive (not All Wheel Drive) version...it can be dolly towed very well.

Dolly towing = No mods to the car (like cutting/drilling in the critical crush zone of the car), the car is up-high and safe from rock strikes, there is no miles added to the lower drive-line of the car, and you can swap cars at will.

We have a very nice SUV that is not flat towable and have over 15,000 miles with it on our dolly. No second car, no add'l registration or insurance

Best luck
How much of a pain is it to load on a dolly? That means 2 wheels on the ground correct?
Old 09-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Why mess with a dolly or trailer, just get a car you can flat tow.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
JBP
Winnie-Wise

The cost for a dolly is about the same for setting up to flat tow. I did not want to have to deal with parking the dolly. It depends on the length of the coach. Some times it is short enough to store behind the coach. There are advantages and disadvantages on both methods. Both also require a supplemental braking system in most states. So keep that in mind when costing it all out. FMCA has a list of vehicles that can be flat towed.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We flat tow a Honda CRV 2012 don't even know it's behind a motorhome
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
How much of a pain is it to load on a dolly? That means 2 wheels on the ground correct?
Yes, a dolly carries the car's front axle. The car's rear tires are on the ground.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	138763

Loading is as easy to us, as hook-up for our partners who flat tow. We can load/unload as fast as they can. And if needed to be stored off the hitch (which is rare), the dolly can slide under our RV's rear overhang.

See a good (simple and complete) overview of flat-tow hook-up here:

The cost of a dolly is typically less than the cost to outfit a car to flat tow (new vs. new including install). And dollies can have integral brakes. New Dollies run from about $1,200 to as much as you want to pay for folding, steer axle models with galvanized frames.

In the used market, both styles of towing get more affordable. Like our dolly cost $400 from a family who sold the RV. For flat-towing, used base plates for typical flat tow will be less available being specific to an individual car.

Which ever way you tow, please get brakes on the tow - with a break-away feature. It is not required in many places, but smart and safer.

Here's an idea...why not rent a U-Haul car dolly to tow the Lexus (if front wheel drive - not all wheel drive) for a trip. See if you like it. We did this 3 times before deciding and we LOVE having our nice SUV with us. If you don't like it, you have spent very little money. Then you can go buy a separate car to flat tow or trailer for the Lexus.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Before you go out and decide what and how to tow, I suggest you load up your Winnebago in its worst case (heaviest) traveling mode and get it weighed. My 36' Itasca is about 21,700 of the 22K lbs GVWR available. With my Ford Focus on my Master Tow dolly, I'm at 25,870 of my 26K lbs GCWR. I'm also under all my axle ratings. Even though I have a 5K hitch, I can't use it all. I suspect that your Adventurer will have similar constraints.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad