Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV 6-pin connector to a 7-pin trailer connection issues

I have an issue trying to wire my minnie winnie 29b 6 post connector to my 7 post trailer connector. I had a brake controller installed in the rv and has a 7 post section made but it keeps blowing a 10 amp fuse shoot I have no brake lights on the rv or the trailer. In addition when I tap the brakes the trailer brakes lock up even with the power cut back to 0. Anyone ever had this issue?
fbref5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We may need to clear some questions on what you have first?
Are you saying the RV had a 6 pin connector mounted on it, not a 7 pin?
I think of the 7 pin as "standard, but that is certainly open to other options! I may have misread what you are saying!

Sounds like the install was not correct but that may need checking, also? When dealing with RV, this is the connector that I expect to find:
Click image for larger version

Name:	f RV plug.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	187339

I might start with making sure the connector on the RV is working as it should by testing all the points for voltage on each pin as that specific item is operating?

When left turn signal is on, there should be voltage on the pin for left turn, brake the same as you move to test each point as well as the ground. I would do this with the tether disconnected to keep confusion down as to which is the problem RV, tether or trailer.
Then when RV is correct and sure it is giving the correct voltages at the correct time and pin, I would move to adding the tether, test it and finally add the trailer.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes the minni winnie has a 6 pin fitting. I agree that I thought the 7 pin was standard. I was told that's the way winnebago wired it, 6 pole. When I had a 7 pin connector wired to the 6 pin I blow a 10 amp fuse in the cab and I have no brake lights on the rv or the trailer. I am towing an enclosed trailer,20 ft, I towed it without the trailer brakes hooked up and it handled fine, but no brake lights. Should I take it to a winnebago dealer and have them replace the 6 pin with a 7 pin.

Frank
Old 09-17-2023, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you bought an 7 way to 6 way adapter off Amazon it's possible that it has a wiring error, when I wired my 6 way on my toad I recall some reviews of an adapter with incorrect wiring. I ended up buying a 7 way to 6 way cord, this one: https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Towin...s%2C172&sr=8-5 and it works fine. You don't need a 7 way on the trailer unless you want backup lights.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Further reading suggests there are two different 6 way hookups, one is center pin aux and one is center pin brakes. Easy enough to trace yours out with a meter and see if they match up, if not easy enough to swap wires unless it is a sealed adapter/cord. I had the luxury of wiring my own toad to match the connector.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This answers your quetions and provides the correct wiring: https://www.etrailer.com/question-114036.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Looking at what basics you need in the trailer, I see no reason for a 7 pin at any point?
Assuming there is no need for battery charging and not need for backup lights? that only leaves five pins need of the 7, so something seems to have made the issue more difficult than needed?

I would go back to simple testing to find if the RV is working right and then wire the trailer to match what the RV provides on that connector.

Since this is a place which deals with lots of RV stuff, I might start with the assumption that this will match the RV connection, but check it first to verify it is correct and it is all working to that point.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring-6-way.aspx

Since fuses are blowing the wiring needs to be checked/ verified or corrected but with the limited number of items to work on the trailer it should be a pretty easy thing to sort which wire needs to do what on trailer and RV and then match them at the connector.
Since there is a standard for doing these things, I lean toward wiring to the standard to ease any troubleshooting in the future!
Any function not needed on the trailer but wired on the RV, just leave it out of the trailer wiring.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 03:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies. I will take my tablet to the shop tomorrow and show him the replies. I will keep everyone the outcome
Old 09-20-2023, 06:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I replaced the 6 pin connector on my 2B with an aftermarket 7 pin connector and all is working as expected. I used a similar wiring diagram as what is provided by etrailer to wire this into the factory wiring harness. I also added a 12v feed line into the standard connector to support our tow vehicle and keep the battery charged when using the tow brake controller. Once done, I used a standard 7 pin tester to make sure all the lights and such were wired correctly. It was a fairly simple project and has worked for several years now
keithd311 is offline   Reply With Quote