Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2023, 05:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can I flat tow my 1994 S-10 Blazer 4x4?

I have an 86 Winnie Chieftan 27ft 454 auto, I need to flat tow my 94 S-10 Blazer 4x4 auto wherever I go, is there a way to do this without wrecking the transmission on the Blazer?? i would love to hear from people who have actually flat towed an S10 Blazer.
Thanks, Tom.
FeralCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does the S10 have a manual transfer case or electric? The manual shifter will nave a neutral position' the electric shifter should have a neutral.. Put the A/T in park, the transfer case in neutral. To double check this, put transfer case in neurtral, shift A/T to drive and release brake, give it a little gas, if the motor RPM increases but truck doesn't move. Shut off engine, shift A/T to park, turn off key and it's ready to be towed.

If your transfer case does not have a neutral you cannot tow the truck without modifications.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Does the S10 have a manual transfer case or electric? The manual shifter will nave a neutral position' the electric shifter should have a neutral.. Put the A/T in park, the transfer case in neutral. To double check this, put transfer case in neurtral, shift A/T to drive and release brake, give it a little gas, if the motor RPM increases but truck doesn't move. Shut off engine, shift A/T to park, turn off key and it's ready to be towed.

If your transfer case does not have a neutral you cannot tow the truck without modifications.
Mine only has an electric 2 position transfer case switch, no neutral, only hi & low, bummer...thanks!!
Old 09-14-2023, 08:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralCat View Post
Mine only has an electric 2 position transfer case switch, no neutral, only hi & low, bummer...thanks!!
I once owned a 2002 Chevy dually 4x4 with electric transfer case. If I held in the buttons for both it would shift into neutral. Didn't know that until I found a sentence in the owners manual, re-read yours.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-14-2023, 09:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I once owned a 2002 Chevy dually 4x4 with electric transfer case. If I held in the buttons for both it would shift into neutral. Didn't know that until I found a sentence in the owners manual, re-read yours.
Wow, will do! Mine is a rocker switch, I may be screwed still, I will either need a vehicle I can flat tow, or get a 2 wheel dolly & drag it backwards, hopefully that wont hurt the front diff.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralCat View Post
Wow, will do! Mine is a rocker switch, I may be screwed still, I will either need a vehicle I can flat tow, or get a 2 wheel dolly & drag it backwards, hopefully that wont hurt the front diff.

As I said, the final authority is your particular owners manual. It will be under the heading Recreational towing.
Old 09-20-2023, 07:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

From the 1994 S10 owners manual:
Recreational Vehicle Towing
(Four- Wheel Drive Only)
If your vehicle has &wheel drive, you may tow it behind another vehicle
providing it does not have the optional electronic shift transfer case.
NOTICE:
Recreational vehicle towing is not recommended for vehicles
with the optional electronic shift transfer case because the
electronic shift has no neutral position
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow