Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Trailer brake controller connector location 2021 Adventurer 36Z

I just took posession of my new 2021 Adventurer 36Z on the Ford F53 Chassis with the new V8. I am unable to locate the connector for the electric trailer brake controller. I've searched the internet and forums until I'm blue in the face, talked to Winnebago (the last info on this they got from Ford was 2012), no luck. The chassis was made in September of 2020. I bought the Tekonsha 3035 connector which seems to be what Ford uses on the F53. Anyone have any clues on the location on the latest chassis, or where I could look further? Hate to pay the dealer to find it but if that's the end result I guess it's what I'll do. Thanks for any advice/help in advance.
RivrRatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Team

According to the 2021 Adventurer Operator's Manual Section 12-4 the "Trailer Brake controller connector is on the left of the steering column."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 2.28.24 PM.png
Views:	104
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	177686  
Old 03-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I wish!! My arms would not be all cut up and red from digging under the dash. It is nowhere to be found that I can see, feel, used mirrors and flashlights, you name it. I've seen that and a few other locations where it's 'supposed to be'. Can't imagine what they did with it......... frustrating.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Team

I looked in the Ford 2021 F53 Owners Manual and there is no detail there. There was one comment that "your vehicle's electrical system may not include the wiring connector..."

I've had some ford SUVs that had a trailer brake connector and others that just marked a few loose wires with stickers that indicated that's what they were to be used for.

I installed the controllers myself - but I know plenty of folks that had a shop do the work. Places that do this often know exactly where to connect the controller to the wiring harness.

If you wish to go to a ford dealer... be aware only Commercial Truck dealers will take an RV and the vast majority of those will decline to do any work on an RV. It's a catch-22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 4.16.01 PM.png
Views:	84
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	177688  
Old 03-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

First of all, thanks for looking through all that. I had not seen that comment maybe I missed it, been through everything from Ford and Winnebago that they gave me including the F53 chassis manual. Could not find any loose wires marked or otherwise under the dash and I took off two dash covers around the steering column to open it up. I'll put it on my 30 day visit list for the dealer and ask them to find it. I've talked to Winnebago direct twice in last 2 days and from everything on their end, it's supposed to be there. I'll just use my Prodigy for the first trip this weekend, hopefully it still works have not used it in 3 years.

Tags
vent, cat, brake, adventurer