Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Class A Newby need help!!

Hi all I thought I'd try posting this differently we just returned from a disastrous shake down trip in our new to us 1995 Brave. Besides mechanical issues that are being addressed. Our batteries went dead and I wasn't worried because I had brought an extra gen set but when plugging the shore power cord into the gen set we had no power. Now my big question is the Motorhome was on shore power at the house and working fine but I was experimenting with the switches and is there a chance one of these switches that controls the shore power and charging system? And what charges the house batteries, the converter or alternater or both? Hopefully someone here who has or has had the same unit can tell me what all of these switches do. I am really experenced in RV's but am not ashamed to say that I don't know around the cockpit of this new machine

So to simplify it ill remove the banter

1 - what charges coach battery
2 - do the dash switches control the house battery
3 - do any of the dash switches control the converter and shore power

Thanks all
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post

So to simplify it ill remove the banter

1 - what charges coach battery
2 - do the dash switches control the house battery
3 - do any of the dash switches control the converter and shore power

Thanks all
Your batteries should be charged by both your engines alternator and your converter/inverter/charger.... whichever your coach is equipped with.

I would be surprised if any of your dash switches controlled your house batteries, but there is usually a "salesman" switch located near the entry which disconnects your 12v house batteries for storage.

Again, I would be surprised if any switches on your dash controlled your converter or shore power.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the 1995 Brave operating manual from the Winnebago Industries website. Hopefully section 6 will answer most of your electrical questions.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...95/95Brave.pdf

Here's a link to the 1995 sales brochure. Aslo from the Winnebago Industries website.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...-Brave-bro.pdf

There are also plumbing, wiring and other various assorted manuals available from their website. We downloaded all the ones for our motorhome just in case.

Manuals & Diagrams
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Here's a question of the auxiliary battery switch on the dash is in the off position will that control the shore power?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
Here's a question of the auxiliary battery switch on the dash is in the off position will that control the shore power?
Not sure what you mean by "control the shore power", but on most coaches I believe having that switch in the off position will prevent the house batteries from being charged. It can also make a lot of other things in the coach quit working because they use 12 vdc to power control boards, etc.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well it's all making sense then!! It was in the off position which would mean that my batteries wouldn't charge and the gen set would run any of the 12 volt lights
Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Well I sure hope that's all it was.

Regarding those dash switches.... it the "Aux" switch you mention a momentary switch or does it really have an on and off position? Many/most coaches have a switch on the dash frequently labeled "aux battery" or "battery boost". These are momentary switches which, when pressed, will momentarily connect your house and chassis batteries together. This is usually used for "jumping" a low chassis battery but can be useful for troubleshooting at times too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD