Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-22-2023, 03:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flat Towing with 2023 Spirit 22M?

Trying to find do's and don'ts with flat-towing a vehicle on our rig.
Given weight, are all vehicles able to be towed? ie. we have a 7500 lb hitch
What is best towing set-up..Blue Ox etc?
Anything else we should be aware of?
Thanks in advance
Twells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your manual will tell you what towing and tongue weight your Winnie is restricted to, the 7500# hitch means little regarding the towing capacity, you also need to watch the GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, of your motor home + your toad.

4 wheel down is the easiest but most expensive, Tow Dollys are less expensive but can be a pain in the butt.

I have no issues with Blue Ox base plates, but do not like their tow bars or how they stand behind their product, your mileage may vary. If you tow 4 wheel down you will need a braking system on your toad, either a permanently mounted like the Demco Stay n play, or a portable unit. Make no mistake a braking system is require by law in most states and you will want one.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Which chassis you are on has a bearing on tow capacity too. See what you GCVW is minus the GVW should give you the designed tow rating.

I have used Blue Ox in the past. The next system will be Roadmaster. I prefer 4 down to the dolly.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When you have time add your RV information to your signature line, it helps us to help you, as we can usually look up information to give you a more informed response
Old 11-29-2023, 06:44 PM   #5
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

We have a Blue Ox Avante Tow Bar, NEVER had a problem with the Blue Ox system in 9 ? years. We flat tow a 2013 Ford C-max, love it... The braking system is a portable one. Patriot 3. Had Patriot 1and 2. When we sold other RVs, we included the Patriots because we always wanted to upgrade. The Patriot 3 IS better than the Patriot 1 and 2. 3 has a large Capacitor in it instead of a battery. I use the Center pin on the 7 pin cable to keep my car battery trickle charged. The Patriot 3 is more responsive than 1 and 2. We have a 2022 Winnie Minnie 26t. Oh ya, our tow car weighs 3800 lbs.
One more thing, we had Great service from Blue Ox....
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just so you are aware, Blue Ox considers their tow bars to be obsolete at the 10 year mark and will not sell you parts for upkeep. I ran into this earlier this year. I ended up buying a E-Trailer XHD, which is made by Demco, love it.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I got a free Roadmaster, towbar. I like it. I tow/toad a 4300 lb. lifted Jeep 2 door, with a 5 speed std transmission and a manual shift transfer. Automatic transfers and transmissions seem to have a complicated regimen to get it in neutral. A friend destroyed 3 ford front wheel drive, auto transmissions, before he believed me, that it shouldn't be flat towed. Then there is the frame, cars are designed to crush/collapse in a crash. The lightweight tin, is where it cracks, when flat towing.

[Moderator Action: Faulty IMG coding removed. You can't post a webpage as a image. Only JPG or PNGs can be embedded]
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Frame extensions/modifications affect towing capacity, for instance you may have a hitch rating sticker that says maximum is 7,500#,but, the GCVWR minus the GVWR rating trumps the hitch rating unless your MH is below GVWR; then that overhead can apply to hitch ratting up to its maximum.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Tim, how do I do that?
Twells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Click on your screen name at the top right of the screen, then click on User CP at the top left, there is a pane on the left side where you can change all your details and edit your signature line.

Tags
towing, tow