Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Another" newbie" Question

The handle to our wet bay broke yesterday. Does anyone know of an upgrade kit to replace the plastic piece that breaks on the 2014 style assembly? I'm spending 125 bucks to get a new one. Thanks!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry for your problem. Things like that don’t break routinely. Has the valve been stuck? Or maybe it was with a former owner and it was damaged then.

It would be a big help if you always told us the full model name, year and floorplan of any RV you are asking about.

Adding that info to your Signature in your Profile would be a great way to accomplish this.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, kind of forgot I didn't have my info on this forum. It was the cargo door handle to get into the wet bay.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a time to check the what and why of the handle breaking. Part of that will take a personal look at how and when it broke. There are times when things break due to the door binding due to being slightly bent or not swinging exactly right but there are also users who do not give the equipment the best time! So problems are caused by bad design or getting into a bad setup but it is also true that some folks just live rougher than others and break more things. Just a human trait that we need to look at if we tend to break things.
So part of the question on how to fix and where to get the parts also need info on exactly which part and how it operates as there are different designs on different doors. I don't normally find I need to go to Winnebago but find parts easy and cheaper at RV online places. Sometimes I do need Winnebago.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

What is a wet bay? Is that where you connect your water? It reads like a typo for wet bar. ;-)
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
What is a wet bay? Is that where you connect your water? It reads like a typo for wet bar. ;-)
Yup, fresh water, sewer hose bay.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Sounds like a time to check the what and why of the handle breaking. Part of that will take a personal look at how and when it broke. There are times when things break due to the door binding due to being slightly bent or not swinging exactly right but there are also users who do not give the equipment the best time! So problems are caused by bad design or getting into a bad setup but it is also true that some folks just live rougher than others and break more things. Just a human trait that we need to look at if we tend to break things.
So part of the question on how to fix and where to get the parts also need info on exactly which part and how it operates as there are different designs on different doors. I don't normally find I need to go to Winnebago but find parts easy and cheaper at RV online places. Sometimes I do need Winnebago.
I'll admit, I probably pulled too hard. It had been sticking since we parked it. I kept thinking it was locked, so I would cycle the key. Then, it would open, but with some effort. This time I thought it was just being a pain in my rear, so I pushed in with my knee and pulled again. It broke. :O
Old 03-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It may be time to clean and lube all the latches on all the basement doors. They do attract dirt and need some attention where they stick out of the door especially being on a motor vehicle and mounted so close to the ground.

The rearmost one on the basement door where my generator is located has frozen on mine and so the latch assembly on that side of the door needs to be disassembled and repaired before the lock assemble and release handle gets stressed which as you found out can be very costly to replace.

Maintenance is a very critical component when something has a lot of moving parts.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2008 Winnabago View. The plastic handles are all dried out and falling off. I need to replace them and I’m desperate not to have to pay Winnabago replacement part prices.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
I have a 2008 Winnebago View. The plastic handles are all dried out and falling off. I need to replace them and I’m desperate not to have to pay Winnebago replacement part prices.
You might get lucky and find some decent ones in an RV wrecking yard.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
Happily Retired

Third party parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
I have a 2008 Winnabago View. The plastic handles are all dried out and falling off. I need to replace them and I’m desperate not to have to pay Winnabago replacement part prices.
You could look for third party parts. One place I know of is

RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I'll admit, I probably pulled too hard. It had been sticking since we parked it. I kept thinking it was locked, so I would cycle the key. Then, it would open, but with some effort. This time I thought it was just being a pain in my rear, so I pushed in with my knee and pulled again. It broke. :O
"Picked it up"?? This unit is new to you? I strongly suggest that you bring it back to the folks you bought it from. Let them fix this problem.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
You could look for third party parts. One place I know of is

RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys

Good luck.
Thanks for the link.

Tags