RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
99dart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Another" newbie" Question

The handle to our wet bay broke yesterday. Does anyone know of an upgrade kit to replace the plastic piece that breaks on the 2014 style assembly? I'm spending 125 bucks to get a new one. Thanks!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 2,990
Sorry for your problem. Things like that don’t break routinely. Has the valve been stuck? Or maybe it was with a former owner and it was damaged then.

It would be a big help if you always told us the full model name, year and floorplan of any RV you are asking about.

Adding that info to your Signature in your Profile would be a great way to accomplish this.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
99dart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Sorry, kind of forgot I didn't have my info on this forum. It was the cargo door handle to get into the wet bay.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,327
Sounds like a time to check the what and why of the handle breaking. Part of that will take a personal look at how and when it broke. There are times when things break due to the door binding due to being slightly bent or not swinging exactly right but there are also users who do not give the equipment the best time! So problems are caused by bad design or getting into a bad setup but it is also true that some folks just live rougher than others and break more things. Just a human trait that we need to look at if we tend to break things.
So part of the question on how to fix and where to get the parts also need info on exactly which part and how it operates as there are different designs on different doors. I don't normally find I need to go to Winnebago but find parts easy and cheaper at RV online places. Sometimes I do need Winnebago.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
What is a wet bay? Is that where you connect your water? It reads like a typo for wet bar. ;-)
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
99dart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
What is a wet bay? Is that where you connect your water? It reads like a typo for wet bar. ;-)
Yup, fresh water, sewer hose bay.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
99dart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Sounds like a time to check the what and why of the handle breaking. Part of that will take a personal look at how and when it broke. There are times when things break due to the door binding due to being slightly bent or not swinging exactly right but there are also users who do not give the equipment the best time! So problems are caused by bad design or getting into a bad setup but it is also true that some folks just live rougher than others and break more things. Just a human trait that we need to look at if we tend to break things.
So part of the question on how to fix and where to get the parts also need info on exactly which part and how it operates as there are different designs on different doors. I don't normally find I need to go to Winnebago but find parts easy and cheaper at RV online places. Sometimes I do need Winnebago.
I'll admit, I probably pulled too hard. It had been sticking since we parked it. I kept thinking it was locked, so I would cycle the key. Then, it would open, but with some effort. This time I thought it was just being a pain in my rear, so I pushed in with my knee and pulled again. It broke. :O
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,326
It may be time to clean and lube all the latches on all the basement doors. They do attract dirt and need some attention where they stick out of the door especially being on a motor vehicle and mounted so close to the ground.

The rearmost one on the basement door where my generator is located has frozen on mine and so the latch assembly on that side of the door needs to be disassembled and repaired before the lock assemble and release handle gets stressed which as you found out can be very costly to replace.


Maintenance is a very critical component when something has a lot of moving parts.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 31
I have a 2008 Winnabago View. The plastic handles are all dried out and falling off. I need to replace them and I’m desperate not to have to pay Winnabago replacement part prices.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
99dart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
I have a 2008 Winnebago View. The plastic handles are all dried out and falling off. I need to replace them and Iím desperate not to have to pay Winnebago replacement part prices.
You might get lucky and find some decent ones in an RV wrecking yard.
__________________
Pat & Becky
E. Wenatchee, WA
2014 Meridian 36M
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
Happily Retired
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kingman, AZ
Posts: 18
Third party parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
I have a 2008 Winnabago View. The plastic handles are all dried out and falling off. I need to replace them and Iím desperate not to have to pay Winnabago replacement part prices.
You could look for third party parts. One place I know of is

RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys

Good luck.
__________________
2019 Outlook 25J
2016 Ford Explorer toad.
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I'll admit, I probably pulled too hard. It had been sticking since we parked it. I kept thinking it was locked, so I would cycle the key. Then, it would open, but with some effort. This time I thought it was just being a pain in my rear, so I pushed in with my knee and pulled again. It broke. :O
"Picked it up"?? This unit is new to you? I strongly suggest that you bring it back to the folks you bought it from. Let them fix this problem.
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
99dart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
You could look for third party parts. One place I know of is

RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys

Good luck.
Thanks for the link.
__________________
Pat & Becky
E. Wenatchee, WA
2014 Meridian 36M
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newbie


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Kid on the "Block"...ooppssss "Blog" JRpilot1995 Welcome Mat 1 09-15-2019 07:07 PM
ERA 170M, 2017: "Mode Switch" vs. "Disconnector"? bigfatguy Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 0 04-09-2018 12:00 AM
Leak "Drip" "Drip" Kitchen Faucet LeeB Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 6 04-17-2016 05:40 PM
Newbie Fresh Water Question on "New" RV Bob55 Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 10 06-09-2014 09:35 PM
New XZE Tires - "drifting" "sloppy" feel J&SW Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 16 03-11-2011 11:37 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×