Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfouts View Post
I believe if possible your bottom bolt needs to be in next hole up. That will limit pivot and straighten chain out a bit. I've been on 4 trips now maybe 2000 miles or more and nothing like that. I am running about the same set up as you. I notice you tension nuts are not the same and I think they should be. Before you weld anything make sure you set up is correct.
I just posted those for a look at the bracket, threads showing is off as I’ve moved the chains around a bit.

I agree that the bolt should go one hole higher, the problem is it won’t. There is just barely not enough clearance for a bolt to go through, the frame is covering it slightly, in other words. That was part of my frustration with buying it because it seems like brackets aren’t the correct size. Honestly I couldn’t really decipher the sizing instructions from Anderson anyway.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

This is the one I purchased and I have the 2108 DS which I would think is the same frame. I may be wrong but I would not weld at the current angle. It puts the chain in a bind and does not allow shock to work properly. I would first consider slightly reaming the next hole up just enough to allow the bolt to go through. It will give you a better andgle and will create a tighter fit. Again I have basically the same truck and trailer.

https://tweetys.com/3350-no-sway-wei...ion-hitch.aspx
mfouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:30 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
This is the one I purchased and I have the 2108 DS which I would think is the same frame. I may be wrong but I would not weld at the current angle. It puts the chain in a bind and does not allow shock to work properly. I would first consider slightly reaming the next hole up just enough to allow the bolt to go through. It will give you a better andgle and will create a tighter fit. Again I have basically the same truck and trailer.

https://tweetys.com/3350-no-sway-wei...ion-hitch.aspx
Yeah the pictures show my brackets after they were pulled out from their original position, I usually install them at just a slight angle per manual.

I do like the idea of reaming the frame slightly, would make for a very tight fit.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

That may have been why the moved. The bolts need to be resting against the frame, causing the to clamp tighter to the frame.
mfouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:08 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
That may have been why the moved. The bolts need to be resting against the frame, causing the to clamp tighter to the frame.
Got it, must be the wrong brackets then.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:18 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I'd call Andersen to sort it out. The figure in my installation manual is very clear, but you maybe have a different model hitch?
Attached Images

tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 06:05 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Did a 2000 mile trip with Andersen and minnie 1720FB. zero issues, welded setup did great, recommended way to go imho. 10 minute weld job , no hassle.

Had some steeper inclines and hills to cover nothing budged.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:38 PM   #28
Class A Newb

I just mentioned Andersen in another thread and noticed this one.
I recently sold a 11.5k gvwr toy hauler with aluminum frame. I put at least 12k miles on that trailer with an Andersen WDH.
No welding necessary. Proper torque and use of the set screw is all that’s needed.

Once you get the Andersen dialed it is so much easier to set up than the typical bar style. Enjoy!
lawdot74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 07:32 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I believe if possible your bottom bolt needs to be in next hole up. That will limit pivot and straighten chain out a bit. I've been on 4 trips now maybe 2000 miles or more and nothing like that. I am running about the same set up as you. I notice you tension nuts are not the same and I think they should be. Before you weld anything make sure you set up is correct.
You were right! I had to…ahem…”modify” the frame with a hammer a bit for them to fit in the hole above. Now it’s a tight fit.

I am running into the issue of not really knowing how tight to make the bolts now. The also seem quite uneven, as in one side is loose with 6 threads showing and the other is tight with 4, though it’s in my front yard so could be due to the surface.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I've used the Anderson for 5 years on my Micro Minnie 2106 with three different tow vehicles. Has worked well in all cases.

The brackets moved just a little bit at first so I pulled out the allen set-screw, drilled a hole in the frame and put the set screw back in (all per the instructions) and have had zero slippage since. Zero.

You don't need an expert to set these things up. It isn't rocket science. Install per instructions, torque to specs, adjust while measuring the change at TV front wheel wells.
k.darwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, weight