Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2021, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

First trip with my Minnie

Left Cal. on Dec. 18, arrived in Palm Bay Fl. area on the 23rd. Great weather the whole way, with just a bit of rain in LA. I10 the whole way, and lots of construction in eastern Tx and western La...big potholes trying to dislodge things in the trailer. Maiden voyage...everything worked well. had to change a leaking propane pigtail..that's it. My wife hadn't seen the trailer, and luckily she loves it.
Will take I40 back to Ca. in June.
Happy New Year to all!!
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations and I am glad you had such a great trip.

That stretch of I-10 was really bad in June of 2020. Do they look like they are nearing completion there soon? If not, I will need to plan a different route across TX for June 2021. (maybe I-20 to Jackson and US49 to US98 back to Mobile and I-10?)

Safe Travels on your way back, I-40 was in decent shape from Memphis to LittleRock, and Oklahoma City to Flagstaff in December 2020/January2021 (Those were the only parts I traveled).
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Interstate 10

Doubt they will have construction completed in a year. Along with lane and bridge widening plus new bridges, a lot of work remains. Not sure exactly when the truckers left me, but they were not with me once I was about 70 miles west of Houston...found them again by eastern Louisiana, they had the scoop.

All in all, I lucked out, I see they closed the Interstate at Van horn Tx. due to snow shortly after I went through.
Safe travels.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Then maybe all it will take is to jump on I-610 around Houston, and then ride US90 through Beaumont. I remember the worst part of I-10 being from Eastern Houston through Beaumont.

I-20 just north of there was open January 3rd, but there was some wreckage still needing to be cleaned up from that storm.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The worst of the construction is west and east of Houston. The Interstate improvements that were completed 3-4 years ago from Katy through Houston make that stretch a breeze...barring rush hours and/or accidents. I take the loops around San Antonio, but go straight through Houston on I10.
Hope this helps.