Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We just took our first trip in our new 38T Adventurer. Things didn't go too well, as the Dometic refrigerator threw a "L1oP" code and quit working after about 80 miles. We stopped and tried to get someone in the Houston area to check it out. I was told it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get into the closest RV dealer. After several calls we decided to take it back to our dealer in Buda. Lost our deposit on our campsite and drove all day. Left it with my dealer and maybe it will be ready by Friday. Other than that, we really liked the trip. I am going to have to figure out how to keep my " Brake Buddy" from running down my battery. Sorry to take so long, but thought I'd see if anyone else had had similar problems on first trip.
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just took our first trip in our new 38T Adventurer. Things didn't go too well, as the Dometic refrigerator threw a "L1oP" code and quit working after about 80 miles. We stopped and tried to get someone in the Houston area to check it out. I was told it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get into the closest RV dealer. After several calls we decided to take it back to our dealer in Buda. Lost our deposit on our campsite and drove all day. Left it with my dealer and maybe it will be ready by Friday. Other than that, we really liked the trip. I am going to have to figure out how to keep my " Brake Buddy" from running down my battery. Sorry to take so long, but thought I'd see if anyone else had had similar problems on first trip.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Can't help with your refer problems, but for your battery issue I recommend ToadCharge, a protected charging system that uses the MH to keep the toad's battery charged while connected. Check it out on RVupgrades.com...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear about the refer! We also have a brake buddy but never had a problem with it running down the car battery. When we over night and leave the toad hooked up we unplug it until the morning before we leave. We have also noticed that a mojority of people including my brother-in-law want to use it like a trailer braking system. Meaning everytime he steps on the coach brakes he wants to see the light lite on the coach dash! That will burn up those toad brakes real fast! Check the brake dust when you stop just to make sure they're not dragging.

On the Saturn we run 42# of air pressure and keep the sensitivity low on 2 or 3. The coach is very capable of stopping the load... In a emergency you need the extra braking to keep the toad from pushing or coming around the side, jack-knifing. The ONLY power that would run down the Battery would be the compressor coming on all the time, maybe a leak or senistivity too high. Also, make sure everything is off in the toad.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You should have called Winnebago for the closest Norcold dealer. You have TripSaver emergency warranty for one year with your new 2007 Winnebago. The closest dealer will fix your fridge and Winnebago will overnight parts at no cost. All under the TripSaver warranty.

Committed to Service:
We back our motor homes with the best service after the sale in the industry.
"¢ 12-month/15,00-mile basic limited warranty
"¢ 36-month/36,000-mile warranty on structure
"¢ Standard 10-year limited parts and labor roof warranty
"¢ Complimentary 24-hour roadside assistance program
"¢ TripSaver emergency warranty parts shipments<----------<<<<<<
"¢ National dealer service network

Did your dealer go over your warranty during PDI??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. I called Norcold and they gave me the number of 3 places to deal with the refrig. 2 of the 3 were disconnected and the 3rd never returned my call. Looks like the "battery" problem was my fault, as the key doesn't have to be left in the truck. Live and learn!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by retired2001:
Looks like the "battery" problem was my fault, as the key doesn't have to be left in the truck. Live and learn! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure? On my Jeep the key needs to be in and the ignition turned to the first position to keep the steering wheel from locking.

Edited: I just noticed on another part of this forum, that now GMC trucks (and maybe others) don't lock the steering wheel any more when the key is removed. I am suprised by this--I thought that was a pretty standard thing these days. I guess I've just been edjakated!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Made my Refer into a "Ice Box" during the first week of our maiden trip last December. A stack Hi temp sensor failed open on my Norcold and the eventual fix was a new re-setable high temp switch and a re-designed top stack vent for the Norcold. The Norcold folks were very much aware of the problem but wouldn't send me the parts. I had Camping world in DEN fix it under warrantee in that they were an authorized Norcold fixer upper. Norcold never said it outloud to me but indicated through the dealers that having the fridge in the slide out created a "Design Problem".

I am kind of getting to like my 38T after the first 11,000 miles with very few insurmountable problems. WINNE folks and Workhorse were great on the few little things that crept up.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Mine is still in the shop and I have not heard from them since Tuesday. I imagine it is the same problem with the 'frig in the slide. I expect to hear one way or the other on Monday, though. I sure would like to be useing it.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well I got the new Adventurer back today with the modified Norcold refrigerator. Evidently the same fix that "Paul T" mentioned above. Looks like if they knew there was a design flaw a year ago they would have re-engineered by now.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

is the new high stack vent modification a different vent cover on the roof of the motor home, or is it some other type of modification ?
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The modification to the top of the stack in the 38T model corrects problems with a upper side vent in that the refrigerator is located in the left slideout up forward. There is not a classic roof "top vent". There-in the cause of the problem the engineers did not predict.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

When we had this same fridge problem on our maiden trip in the '07 38T we got it fixed by the great folks at Howards RV in Wilmingon, NC.

A quick work around for this problem, if you want to use the fridge on AC ONLY is to do the following:

Locate and remove the spade connectors attached to the stack temp limit switch and connect a standard 20A plug in fuse across. Effectively eliminates the switch.

Then run the fridge on AC only till you can get the kit to fix it.

jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I concur with the work around basicly bypassing the high temp cut-out switch. One dealer even told me that it would work fine on propane in such a situation and that some models did not even incorpoate the problem switch. I just did not want to risk voiding the warrantee or blowing up the coach, - (although I agree that running it on AC wouldn't be a problem). There is also a reset procedure required that was not described in my publications and would need to be accomplished to use the unit on AC.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I didn't get to talk with the tech' that did the work, but I do know that they had to remove the refrig' and install a new thermostat and some electronic components. It's been working OK for the last couple of days though.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Reply to Tom, overnight part and Winnebago committed to service is nothing but a joke. I am curently going through service which parts and service of my motor home is over 60days and still going. Words and actions are different when your talking about Winnebago....
TXDrifter165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXDrifter165:
Reply to Tom, overnight part and Winnebago committed to service is nothing but a joke. I am curently going through service which parts and service of my motor home is over 60days and still going. Words and actions are different when your talking about Winnebago.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

24 hours shipment of parts is available if you are on TRIP.

I suggest you go to another dealer. I have never returned to my selling dealer. I got all my warranty service while on the road, at a dealer in GA and one in FL.

-To
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote