Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2024, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Finding Books Listing RV Parks?

Can anyone recommend a book that shows and tells about the RV parks located across the US. It doesn't have to everyone of them just some of the better parks to stop at. My wife will be retiring soon and we hope to get on the road in our motor home but since we are just starting this we need to know where to go to help plan our trips. We also have two small dogs that will travel with us. Thanks in advance.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It used to be that there was a series of books put out by "Woodalls" , AAA also had the Woodalls books. Camping World I believe still puts out a book with RV parks and such in it.

As the digital age has made things go away I am afraid those books may be part of it, both however have web sites with information. I believe and have been for many years that RV Life Campground Reviews is one of the best sites for information. Link at top of page. I know alot of folks use RV Parky.

As you are starting out, for me planning is almost as much fun as getting there.
Pick you destination city, use google maps for direction and. then RV Trip planner (link top of page) for the rest. You will find a driving time thats comfortable for you, I like 4 or 5 hrs. If possible take as many off Interstate roads as possible much more of this great contry to see.

Good Luck have fun
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't use any of the paid programs as they tend to be too slanted and tend to list their paid folks over those who are not part of their group.
That means you may drive right past the places which do not subscribe or otherwise pay for their space!
The world runs on greed, not what benefits the user! I tend to use many different sources on the internet as the info in books is often a year old before it gets into print and then may change without you knowing it or getting the new book.
If it is not on the internet, it doesn't exist!

When I plan a trip, I tend to use Googlemaps as a quick and convenient methods to find my route and also search for where I might want to stay along the way.
Not only can I get the necessary info that listings give but I can also go to the street view and look at what is next door and locate things that I do or do not want to be next door to when I get there!

If I zoom in and see junk cars in the street or burned out buildings, I tend to look for some other spot! Train tracks just behind those pretty trees the owners ads picture? I move on.
Then when I find what looks right to me, the contact info and what the owners want me to know is also handy to get from the google info.
I go to the owners website for some of the fine details and may come back to look at the street view if there are still questions.

The problem with books is that the info is often outdated or skewed to "sell" you over giving you the actual info.
State and local parks are our preferred but they tend to not get high ratings in the commercial world that is looking at how to make the most money!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think Camping World still sells the book, they did a couple years ago. Another good book is "The Next Exit" available in print and as an app. The print versions got quite a few inaccuracies during Covid though as many businesses closed.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Anything in print is out of date when you buy it. We learned that Woodalls was useless twenty years ago. Their ratings were bogus. campgroundreviews.com is fairly reliable and there are other similar. I'm sure that others will chime in.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have used CampgroundReviews.com for years and have about 150 of my reviews on it. The RV parks with at least 10-12 reviews in the past year are generally the ones I rely on because every RVer has different likes and dislikes. If no one has reviewed a park in 2-3 years, I avoid it, no matter how many stars it has.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We used to enjoy using Woodall's big book. It rescued us many times.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We started out in 2008 using the print copies of Woodall's, Good Sam, etc. as there were no or few web sites to get the information. Over the years, as web sites and cell phone apps have evolved we no longer use any of these printed version although there is probably one in the motorhome if I looked. I tend to be a preparer for our trips that last from a month to 10 months. I usually have most of our stops planned before we leave. This still allows for changes in routes or stops as things change.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote