Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Has anybody tapped into the satellite input for a roof mounted dish to enable you to connect a remote dish to the park cable outlet?
palmetto927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Has anybody tapped into the satellite input for a roof mounted dish to enable you to connect a remote dish to the park cable outlet?
Old 01-09-2003, 04:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You have me lost, why would you want to connect your satellite dish to the park's cable outlet? Or are you asking if you can connect your dish to the cable jack on your MH?

Don Harris
Savannah, GA
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, 35C, Class A, Ford V10, 20,500 GVWR chassis.
1995 Saturn SW2 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa towing system, SMI Toad brake.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I think you would just disconnect the input to the satellite receiver, and connect the cable-in instead. It should work. It's an easy enough expirement if you have a remote dish. Just jump a video connector from the cable connection over to the input on the satellite receiver. You just need to get to the back of the little switching device to disconnect the cable-in, and maybe an adapter to connect the 2 female cable ends.

2002 Adventurer 35U
1990 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 01-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

The park cable outlet is the cable jack. In order to do a permanent, neat installation, at least with a 2002 Journey DL, you will need to add a jack in the driver's overhead compartment, run another cable to the passenger's overhead compartment, install a video selector switch (park cable/satellite). The hardest part is routing the cable from one compartment to the other. But, experience is the best teacher....
Old 01-09-2003, 07:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

All I did was install an A/B switch in line with the external cable tv jack. A goes to the cable input on the switching matrix and B goes to the sat input. When you want to use your portable sat dish just plug it into the external cable jack in the power cord bay, push the "B" button on the A/B switch and you are all set. The hard part is pulling out the switching matrix to get to the back of it. The other hard part is remembering to to hit the A button on the A/B switch before you plug into the cable plug in the campground. If you don't, sparks will fly because the Sat rcvr sends out some voltage... Anyway, works fine, lasts a long time. Rock and roll!

FYI, we opted out of a roof mounted sat dish. We like to camp in the woods so it would be under the trees most of the time anyway. Portable dish is the only way to go!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Snow Covered Frozen Connecticut Woods
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR
Old 01-13-2003, 02:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

You must have a different wiring configuration. Without a roof mounted dish, you probably do not have a satellite input jack in the coach. My input jack is in the driver's side overhead, as is the receiver. If I wired mine the way you described, the satellite input would not go through the receiver before making it to the video selector box. Hence, the necesssity of routing another cable as described.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by palmetto927:
You must have a different wiring configuration. Without a roof mounted dish, you probably do not have a satellite input jack in the coach. My input jack is in the driver's side overhead, as is the receiver. If I wired mine the way you described, the satellite input would not go through the receiver before making it to the video selector box. Hence, the necesssity of routing another cable as described.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The coach is pre-wired for a roof mounted dish, the wire is coiled up in the overhead above the tv.

I installed our sat rcv in the A/V cabinet over the drivers seat. It also was pre-wired with a little plug for SAT IN and SAT OUT. All I had to do was plug it in. The hard part here was running the R & L sound wire and the S Video cable from the sat rcvr under the TV and up into the other A/V cabinet where the switching matrix is. Come to think of it, I believe I had to run another coax from the existing SAT IN plug on the drivers side and disconnect it from the wire for the roof dish.

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Snow Covered Frozen Connecticut Woods
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR
Old 01-13-2003, 02:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by palmetto927:
Has anybody tapped into the satellite input for a roof mounted dish to enable you to connect a remote dish to the park cable outlet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Like Ghost's idea, except that sometimes I want to watch 1 thing and the wife will go to bed and watch the TV on the Park Cable. What I did on my Pace Arrow was to run a wire from the engine compartment under the dash, behind the windshield side moulding and into the overhead compartment. I left the coil of wire coiled up under the hood with Velcro straps. When I needed it I could just uncoil it ad I was good to go. The hardest part was finding a place to get through the firewall.
Good luck.

Pat Zollo
Fort Washington, PA
2001 Adventurer 35U
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Brake Buddy
Old 01-13-2003, 04:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Ghost.....Mine Sat input is wired exactly that way with an A/B switch. I also agree that the portable dish is the best way to go. You have a lot more postioning options that way.
grundy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I am very confused. The motor home has a roof mounted dish on it . I prefer to use a portable one instead. I have the receiver and a switch (satelite/ant/vcr) next to it. What is the best way to get it to work ? Can i just run the cable from the dish to the jack that i would run the parks cable tv to it ? I want to do it the easiest way possible.
repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Easiest possible way is simply open the drivers window run the portable dish cable through it and plug it into the back of the receiver.
I think there are through ways that will let you run the cable through them and then close the window tight.
You can only use one dish at a time or am I missing something? Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Now I am confused. Is this just a problem in Journys? Ours cam all wired. Just pust the selector switch in the overhead. We both watch Sat. Cable Ant or VCR feed on either front or rear TV at same time. They must have made life more diffacult somewhere.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote