Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

I've been very happy with the Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1/1/4 and 2-Inch Receiver). I really like that I can use it with the 1 1/4" receiver on my car or the 2" one on the motorhome.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Also use a receiver hitch mounted rack on the back of our toad for the bicycles. Have towed lots of miles with no problems. I do lock the bikes on the racks though, just to keep honest people honest.

burfurd
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Chris do you use the XC for a particular reason rather than the XL ? What's the difference?
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Sorry---I meant to ask the difference between the XC and XTC.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Local guy makes this rack which has a wedge type insert in hitch , totally solid

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-24473303.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	27380
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

In the loading position
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-723892991.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	27381
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
Sorry---I meant to ask the difference between the XC and XTC.
The Swagman XTC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1.25 and 2-Inch Receiver) and Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1/1/4 and 2-Inch Receiver) are very similar, the primary difference seems to be in the wheel support assemblies. The XC is a bit cheaper than the XTC, but I've been very happy with my XC.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Chris,
The XTC looks to be almost identical to the rack we're using, the X-Sport. The primary difference that I can see, at least from the pictures is the "belt" capture system for the wheels as opposed to the Velcro system used on the X-Sport. Other than that, they look like they're almost made in the same place.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I really think the XC will be the one for me. It appears that the XC and XTC require different amounts of space relative to the spare tire so I was waiting a bit to hear from KEITHB6 and see if the XC the exact model he has. He is the only person here who has the exact vehicle that I have. When I carefully compare Honda CRVs I find enough differences between model years to make me very cautious about how/whether the rack will adequately clear the spare tire.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I'm hoping to hear from KEITHB6 as he is the only person here who has the exact year/model vehicle which I have. In researching all my options I find enough slight differences from once year CRV to another to make me very cautious about my spare tire and whether/how various racks will clear the tire. I'm hoping that KEITHB6 will tell me he has the Swagman XC as that appears to be the one that will work for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

I don't have the model number with me, that sounds correct. The FAQ's on the etrailer page discuss the required clearances for this rack to work with the 2005 CRV. I checked those measurements before ordering. I have towed the car with the bikes on the rack over 1000 miles this year, and we did a couple hundred with the rack on the MH. it is very solid, no movement, no extra straps applied. I use a cable lock through all four rims, two frames and under the Swagman. The hitcj pin has provisions for a lock as well. Be sure to check the measurements as described as it starts in the center of the hole for the pin in your 2" receiver.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Wow, another bent trike rider. I ride a Catrike Villager II and still working on a way to carry it with the 5er. The Cameo has no back bumper and no way the ladder will support it. A factory option on the trailer was a rear 2" receiver, so it has enough frame to support the hitch. I wam thinking of getting a hitch installed and use one of the carrier baskets.

Ken
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Just ordered a Swagman XC platform rack from eTrailer along with hitch and cable locks. After all the looking I've done and the very helpful comments from all on this site, I feel confident with the purchase. When I get the rack and the bikes on the car I'll post a photo. Thanks again to all who took the time to help me!

Jim
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Jim, I purchased swagman model 64650.
Keith
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

That's the same one I got.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Keith I finally got around to putting the rack together today and putting it on the car. Not sure which model CRV you have but mine has the plastic hard cover on the spare tire and the bike lays against it, no matter which direction I turn the bike. I'll experiment with just removing the spare cover when I have bikes on the rack or putting a good pad between the bike and the spare. Now to the issue of a cover. The Swagman cover which is recommended for that rack is ONLY for use if the bikes are behind a motorhome and not behind a car. Apparently there is too much wind if the bikes are behind a car and the cover won't last. My bike will be slightly below the roof level and a couple of inches right and left of edge of the car before I put a cover on. Does anyone have ideas of a good cover? What have the rest of y'all done with this kind of setup? Thanks! Jim
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Jim,
I've got the CRV EX-L with the hard plastic tire cover. I had to experiment with placement of the bikes, which one went inboard and which way to face them. It took a few tries and adjustment of the hoops. Eventually I got it right and only need to turn the seat on one bike. It is a snug fit but the bikes are very secure. I did not look into covers. If you need more room, you could look at a 2" hitch extender. I have to use one on my coach when mounting the bike rack. The fit-up is all based on the center line of the hitch pin in the 2" receiver.
Keith
Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Thanks once again Keith. I'll work with the placement of the bikes knowing they will ultimately be a good fit. You don't by chance have any pics of yours? Unless a better idea surfaces here I may just spring for a 3bike cover, which would be a little large for my 2bike install, and try using several tie down straps.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Well, after all that, I have returned the Swagman rack. I managed to make the bikes fit with a little padding around the spare tire. Then I started looking for good, sturdy bike covers. That was interesting! Very expensive for anything that is rated/recommended to be behind a toad. Most are not and are rated to be directly behind the RV due to turbulence. I got a couple of good ideas, one for a custom cover but in the end don't think either are acceptable for me. I definitely want to cover the bikes and will now reexplore a rack on the coach using a hitch extension and going up a little to preclude any conflict with the toad and the rock Guardian. I might have been able to just keep the Swagman until I finally got the time to try it on the hitch extension but I was under the gun, leaving town on an extended trip and did not want to end up "owning" the Swagman if it was not going to be the rack I needed. So the bikes are in the toad until I throw out my anchor at my permanent winter stop in a few weeks. For the record, eTrailer and Swagman both were very understanding and accomodating during this process.

Jim
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

We just returned from a camp trip where lots of the folks we were with, had bicycles. I saw a rack on one of the toads ( a Honda Fit) and it was a Swagman. That rack, is exactly like my "X-sport" rack only instead of using knobs to cinch the bikes in place, it uses a serrated/ratchet/trigger system. I like it. And, at $157.00 on Amazon, that's not bad at all. If we need another rack in the future, I think that one will fit the bill just fine for us.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote