Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Jim, Too bad the rack did not work for you. I've done quite a bit of business with etrailer and they do seem to be good folks. I'm sure you will find set up that meets your needs.
Keith
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Have been in AZ for last several weeks getting work done on my coach. While hanging out in Mesa I've spoken with lots of bikers and seen a number of different setups. The best thing that has happened is that I think I've convinced my girlfriend that we should just transport our bikes uncovered (mine is older and a little rusty while her's is brand new). Uncovered bikes won't block rear lights on the toad if I decide to rack them there. They shouldn't block or interfere with the diesel engine venting on the coach and if I extend the rack up a bit I should have no turning problems if they are behind the coach. If still had the Swagman I'd put the bikes on it tomorrow. I may look closer at at Thule or a Yakima on an extended bar (to avoid the spare tire) behind the Honda. For some reason when I originally started this journey I did not consider racks unless they cleared my spare on their own. Why I did not consider an extension to make them work, I don't know.
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Finally made my final decision and bought the Thule 990XT. It's the 2-bike platform style. I chose it over the Swagman primarily because I was really disappointed with the one Swagman that I bought and returned to eTrailer. It was easy to assemble and though a couple of parts were missing a call to Thule got them to me very quickly. I've finally moved from my winter location and just used the rack for the first time. It seems an excellent choice! I never did resolve the bike cover issue so just decided to make it a "non-issue" and leave them uncovered. At some point I'll try and put this rack between the coach and the toad, raised up so there is no conflict during turns.
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote