Old 05-14-2019, 05:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medobson1 View Post
I had nothing but trouble with my slide leaking as well. After 4 trips to the dealer I was very frustrated and unhappy with the water leaks on both ends. So I gave in and had a slide topper installed. The topper extends about 6 inches beyond each end and it has been dry as a bone in the Hot Arizona sun ever since. Thatís one way to fix it. But I do know the problem is with the corners of the slide and how they meet the rubber gasket in the corner. If the person who builds the corner joint doesnít get the surface perfectly smooth in the upper corners, they leak making a mess on the carpet and under the dinette. The slide topper really does fix this issue plus it keeps the snow and sun off the slide roof keeping the dinette area cooler in direct sun. Iím glad I spent the money on it.
Thanks for sharing. We had talked about getting a slide topper. Will definitely try that next. I bought gasket treatment and cleaned and treated the gaskets but that did not help. Simple rain does not seem to bother it but when towing in a driving rain it really "floods".
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

For sewer hose storage, I have used plastic fence posts which I believe we're 5" square, mounted under the RV across the width, when I had trailers. I could put the Rhino end fitting in as well. I had three. One was for sewer hose with different lengths and I used the others for the water hose and power cords. It freed up the storage compartment space. They're very handy, easy to make. Do a search and you'll find lots of info.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

To lakejumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
For sewer hose storage, I have used plastic fence posts which I believe we're 5" square, mounted under the RV across the width, when I had trailers. I could put the Rhino end fitting in as well. I had three. One was for sewer hose with different lengths and I used the others for the water hose and power cords. It freed up the storage compartment space. They're very handy, easy to make. Do a search and you'll find lots of info.
I was trying to get my husband to let me do the fence post. Now that you have mentioned it, maybe he will let me do it on our rig. THANKS for the post!
Nitewindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Great posts.........really enjoying
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
KMG
Winnebago Camper

I store our sewer hose inside the rear bumper.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Well, our third camping trip is in the books. https://texasstateparks.reserveameri.../0/180x120.jpg

Boy was this a test of our communication skills. I am finding more and more that when backing especially at really tight (8ft pad with STEEP dropoff on both sides, a huge tree trunk close to the pad on one side and a boulder on the other) spots, my method of explaining what I need the trailer to do becomes challenging. I think they need a husband and wife class of how to communicate RV parking turns...:-)

However, I am proud to say we made it in there (eventually) and nothing damaged or lost in the effort. I did find out that as recommended to us, the anderson curving wheel chocks are a wonderful thing UNLESS your trailer tires are too close together to get one of them behind the front tire. I am searching for the amazon/camco brand to see if they are a bit shorter.

I am very pleased to say that our little rig's A/C unit proved itself with flying colors. The temp wasn't bad at about 85-90 degrees, but the humidity was off the chart. And we managed to be totally comfortable inside. For such occasions though, I am planning to add a portable satelite before we go out again in the fall. Love to hear everyone's experience with them.

I found some great totally lightweight folding bins that help with storage under the dinette. You do have to reach them from above, but they keep the stuff i store near the door from sliding back out of reach when moving. See them on my blog:
http://weekend4daydreams.com

Our towel bar pulled out of the wall when my husband was gingerly trying to put the towel back up on it. So we are debating how to mount one that will stay. (epoxy?)

When mounting things on the walls of this unit, I have found that nothing is too strong when it comes to getting things to stay. Most of the command items do not stay on our walls without extra sticky strips (as many as I can fit). The clear ones are just not strong enough. I have to use the ones rated 5-16 lbs for anything I want to stay on the wall. Maybe it is because the walls are new. The non removable 3M products seem to work more reliably.

We are putting the final touches on what goes where for best access and which organizer works best here or there, but we are getting close to being able to make faster get-a-ways on Friday evenings.

The only new item we noticed with Minnie, the trailer, is that the weatherstripping on the passenger side front of the trailer is hanging loose. We are headed back to the dealer next weekend to get our warranty list corrected. This includes: Lack of window screen next to the bed; dinette bottom pad stitching coming loose; one ac vent inside lose from shroud; towel bar fell off the wall; We are going to ask if we could transform the bottom "drawer" in the kitchen which isn't a drawer but a pull down front into an actual drawer for ease of use.;

We had 3 MaxAir fans installed and let me just say those things I LOVE! you can force air through that trailer in a few minutes, vent moisture from showers and draw in cool air or vent cooking smells and smoke. Love them!

I must say that our hooking and unhooking has been a real learning experience, but we are really cutting that time and effort down now. Practice does make perfect!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We use Motorola Walk about hand held radios. It is easier then dialing a cell phone, saves walking up to the truck to tell him which way to go, and they are good for other things as well. I have no idea how men tell each other what to do, it makes no sense to me. When they stand there and point at the ground and twirl their finger. That means nothing to me. But they understand. We used to put our trailer away and sometimes it would take 15 mins then next time 2 hours. I think it must relate to the moon cycle. We live in a different location now. I leave the trailer out until he goes to work and then put it away. Works really well.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #22
bkg
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewindes View Post

Our towel bar pulled out of the wall when my husband was gingerly trying to put the towel back up on it. So we are debating how to mount one that will stay. (epoxy?)

When mounting things on the walls of this unit, I have found that nothing is too strong when it comes to getting things to stay. Most of the command items do not stay on our walls without extra sticky strips (as many as I can fit). The clear ones are just not strong enough. I have to use the ones rated 5-16 lbs for anything I want to stay on the wall. Maybe it is because the walls are new. The non removable 3M products seem to work more reliably.
I would recommend a "backer board" compared to just about any other anchoring method including the 3M adhesive strips in an RV. No matter the RV brand or model, nearly all interior walls are luan paneling - and somewhat thin.
If the RV builder didn't place studs or anchoring blocks inside the wall for mounting hardware when the unit is built, not much is going to stay anchored in the thin luan paneling, especially a towel bar.

In my prior RV's what I've done is made a backer board wide enough to cross the wall horizontally over two vertical wall studs.
The backer board can be a 1 X 4 piece of wood such as poplar or oak that you can stain or paint. Simply locate the studs in the wall and secure the backer board with your towel bar or towel hooks already mounted to the backer board.

The idea is to transfer the weight to the backer board then to the wall studs versus 8 pounds of towel weight hanging on the 3/16" luan wall panel.

One time I got lucky and found an ideal back board at Target with 5 hooks already mounted and the pre-drilled mounting holes fell right on the wall studs in the RV bathroom. Granted it was a coat hook rack but served perfectly for our family as a bath towel hook.

NOTE: Mounting on the inside of an exterior wall is generally something I try to avoid if at all possible.

Nice write up on your experiences!

Bobby
Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

bkg, THANKS so much for your input on the walls. makes sense to use the studs. I am learning about trailer construction more every day. I will update you on how the towel bar episode goes :-)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:31 AM   #24
2108DS Gray Goose

Weights

If you get a chance to get this entire setup weighed, I'd love to see the numbers. I've got a 2018 Canyon CCLB Duramax and I'm very interested in the micro Minnie 5th wheel.
gretnagreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2405rg, 2405rl, canyon, led, midsized