Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We use Motorola Walk about hand held radios. It is easier then dialing a cell phone, saves walking up to the truck to tell him which way to go, and they are good for other things as well. I have no idea how men tell each other what to do, it makes no sense to me. When they stand there and point at the ground and twirl their finger. That means nothing to me. But they understand. We used to put our trailer away and sometimes it would take 15 mins then next time 2 hours. I think it must relate to the moon cycle. We live in a different location now. I leave the trailer out until he goes to work and then put it away. Works really well.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #22
bkg
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewindes View Post

Our towel bar pulled out of the wall when my husband was gingerly trying to put the towel back up on it. So we are debating how to mount one that will stay. (epoxy?)

When mounting things on the walls of this unit, I have found that nothing is too strong when it comes to getting things to stay. Most of the command items do not stay on our walls without extra sticky strips (as many as I can fit). The clear ones are just not strong enough. I have to use the ones rated 5-16 lbs for anything I want to stay on the wall. Maybe it is because the walls are new. The non removable 3M products seem to work more reliably.
I would recommend a "backer board" compared to just about any other anchoring method including the 3M adhesive strips in an RV. No matter the RV brand or model, nearly all interior walls are luan paneling - and somewhat thin.
If the RV builder didn't place studs or anchoring blocks inside the wall for mounting hardware when the unit is built, not much is going to stay anchored in the thin luan paneling, especially a towel bar.

In my prior RV's what I've done is made a backer board wide enough to cross the wall horizontally over two vertical wall studs.
The backer board can be a 1 X 4 piece of wood such as poplar or oak that you can stain or paint. Simply locate the studs in the wall and secure the backer board with your towel bar or towel hooks already mounted to the backer board.

The idea is to transfer the weight to the backer board then to the wall studs versus 8 pounds of towel weight hanging on the 3/16" luan wall panel.

One time I got lucky and found an ideal back board at Target with 5 hooks already mounted and the pre-drilled mounting holes fell right on the wall studs in the RV bathroom. Granted it was a coat hook rack but served perfectly for our family as a bath towel hook.

NOTE: Mounting on the inside of an exterior wall is generally something I try to avoid if at all possible.

Nice write up on your experiences!

Bobby
Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

bkg, THANKS so much for your input on the walls. makes sense to use the studs. I am learning about trailer construction more every day. I will update you on how the towel bar episode goes :-)
Nitewindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:31 AM   #24
2108DS Gray Goose

Weights

If you get a chance to get this entire setup weighed, I'd love to see the numbers. I've got a 2018 Canyon CCLB Duramax and I'm very interested in the micro Minnie 5th wheel.
gretnagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

I just purchased a 2020 2405RG 5th wheel, i planned on towing it with my 2016 GMC Canyon 6 cylinder SHORT BED, now the dealer is telling me there is no hitch for my truck that wouldn’t need to be retrofitted to work and that they don’t want to Be libel for a work around.
Can any of you help me with this issue? I love the unit and from what i hear it tows well with the Canyon and Colorado HELP
Lbowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Talking Hitch for towing a 2405RG with a GMC Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbowes View Post
I just purchased a 2020 2405RG 5th wheel, i planned on towing it with my 2016 GMC Canyon 6 cylinder SHORT BED, now the dealer is telling me there is no hitch for my truck that wouldn’t need to be retrofitted to work and that they don’t want to Be libel for a work around.
Can any of you help me with this issue? I love the unit and from what i hear it tows well with the Canyon and Colorado HELP
We went to a special hitch customization installer here in the Austin area. But that is because everyone (trailer dealer, car dealer & hitch install) all told us it would not work to have a Canyon Short Bed tow a 5th wheel, even the new one.

Turned out that the hitch installation place had other Canyon owners who had previously used their short beds for towing many types of 5th wheels and was game to put the hitch in. We purchased a CURT manual sliding hitch because of all the cautionary tales we heard. But it turns out that we have never had to move the hitch even one time and have perfect clearance with the cab although it is CLOSE when having the truck 90 degrees from the trailer. I do wish this had one more inch of vertical clearance, but it works.

Our truck also fits nicely inside our garage and so no worries about Texas hail storms either. We are very happy!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

STILL WAITING to get our rig back from it's first warranty "fix it" appointment at the dealer. It has been there 2 1/2 months now waiting for the arrival of the parts to fix the various small issues it had. [Seams on the dinette seat loose; Mattress had a slice in it underneath; bedroom window had no screen; towel bar fell off wall in bathroom; weatherstrip came off around the front overhang exterior and the radio had to be replaced due to the led back light stopped working bright enough to read.

Thankfully it is not our main use season as Texas summer is too darn hot to sit outside and enjoy it. So fall, winter and spring is our main usage time. Still can't believe the incredible wait to get it back. From what I understand though, in the RV world, this is normal.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Need your help, I own a 2016 Canyon short bed, I just purchased the micro Minnie 2405RL, deadlier assured me I could tow it now they are saying they can’t find a hitch to install did your Andersen hitch have to be custom installed and how and where did you have it done!
Any help you can give me will be appricated
Lbowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

We used Spillar's Custom Hitch. They have two Austin locations. The south location is where their most experience guy is and that is where we had our CURT Manual Sliding Hitch installed.

I will admit that as first time 5th wheel owners, it took us a bit of practice to get down the use of the hitch, but once we figured it out, it hooks up and disconnects quickly.
IMPORTANT: WE DID HAVE THE ELECTRICAL BOX ON THE ARM OF THE TRAILER RELOCATED UP INSIDE THE ARM BOX. IT HIT THE BED RAIL ON OUR FIRST TRIP AND CAME LOOSE. I have heard other owners of this particular 5th wheel have done the same thing.

Tags
2405rg, 2405rl, canyon, led, midsized

« Slide quit working | - »