Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear camera preinstalled wiring

I have a 2020 2405RG and it has a plate on the back with a connector under it for a rear camera. I found the pin out after lots of research, power +&- and two for signal. Does anyone know where the signal lines terminate? I bought s new GMC truck and it comes with a camera to install on the back of the trailer but I need to know where the other end of the connection is. Winnebago only seems to publish wiring diagrams for their powered RVs not the towables.
Thanks
mlien477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2021 Micro Minnie travel trailer, but I believe it should be similar to your fifth-wheel. Mine only had power/ground wires behind the plate on the back. Winnebago tied these into the running lights circuit (likely at an adjacent light) so that the camera only gets power when the running lights are on. There were no other signal wires. Hopefully your GMC camera is wireless, otherwise you'll need to run your own signal wiring the whole way to the camera. Ford had an optional camera for the trailer but it was not wireless so I skipped that option back in 2017.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tha GMC camera is not wireless, comes with 65 feet of cable. I received a wiring diagram from Winnebago but it makes no mention of the camera connection. I guess I will have run my own wire to the fron of the trailer.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Before giving up too easy and going to lots of trouble, is it worth considering a set of tools to trace the existing wiring?
I used them in communications wiring and they are a real time saver that I wish I had on hand still.
This is one of hundreds of versions that seems it might be cheap enough to make it worth looking? Perhaps one is available to rent in your area?

Basic idea is that it sends a tone on the wire and you use the amp to hear the tone, even through walls and then when you find the far end, clipping directly to the specific wire lets you know "for sure" that you have the right one.

https://www.techtoolsupply.com/Produ...hoCfRYQAvD_BwE
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you've removed the plate and it does actually have signal wires, then I'd definitely try to trace them as Morich suggests. If it is like mine (just power), then I'd start planning the route for the GM-provided cable.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I removed the plate on the back and there is a round four pin connector there. I was able to find the pin out for it online. Two signal lines and +12 and - 12. The idea about a toner is good, I owned one of those in the past, they work good. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Did you pull that four pin connection out and look at the wires that come into it? I'm in the same boat, have same 4 pin connector but there is only power to it. Two pins are empty.
Steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve77 View Post
Did you pull that four pin connection out and look at the wires that come into it? I'm in the same boat, have same 4 pin connector but there is only power to it. Two pins are empty.
Much depends on exactly which RV you have as there are varied amounts of wiring info provided online and that depends on what year, make like brave, etc and what length as in 31 KE.

The age is one primary item to know for looking at actual drawings as pre 2010 has better info than newer but the trick is in getting down to the actual schematic drawings which show where each wire goes and some have that and some don't.

This is the wiring group or if you post up as much info as you can on what you have, it is possible we could look and , at times, it can be sorted down to specific plugs and location. Other times, not so much!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Old 02-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

According to the OP, it is a 2405RG. That's a Micro Minnie fifth-wheel. The towables division doesn't have the same focus on documentation, although some documents are provided upon request.

My trailer had a four-pin connector, but only the two power wires were actually attached. I'd be very surprised if any Micro Minnie actually had signal wires attached to the back of that four-pin connector. They're built assuming people will purchase the WiSight wireless camera (no signal needed).
Old 02-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
According to the OP, it is a 2405RG. That's a Micro Minnie fifth-wheel. The towables division doesn't have the same focus on documentation, although some documents are provided upon request.

My trailer had a four-pin connector, but only the two power wires were actually attached. I'd be very surprised if any Micro Minnie actually had signal wires attached to the back of that four-pin connector. They're built assuming people will purchase the WiSight wireless camera (no signal needed).
We know what the OP has, but what does Steve77 have? If he has the same trailer, the answer may be the same but if he only has what he calls, "the same situation" but on a different RV, the answer is different, right?
Old 02-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Fair enough. I was willing to assume he had a trailer and a GM or Ford pickup with an accessory camera. That has now been confirmed in another thread.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
We know what the OP has, but what does Steve77 have? If he has the same trailer, the answer may be the same but if he only has what he calls, "the same situation" but on a different RV, the answer is different, right?
I have a 2021 2301bhs trailer.
Steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

those are just power cables for a voyeger camera system. for some reason they like tat model - it is a wireless system, so no cable to front, just power
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

So what I am gathering from this is that my trailer is not prewired for a camera. That’s fine but it did say in the sales literature when I bought the trailer that it was backup camera ready, it also says that on the little plate on the back of the trailer, buyer beware they will tell you anything to get you to buy. This was our first RV so I guess I was just a little to trusting or uneducated. I will use the four pin connector and run my own wires to the front of the trailer to hook up the camera. Just seems like a lot of work when they could have added that wire during the build process and had a happy customer.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlien477 View Post
...Just seems like a lot of work when they could have added that wire during the build process and had a happy customer.
Feel free to send them a suggestion. You are correct that it would be relatively easy to run the wire(s) during the build process. They could just leave the signal wire(s) labeled and unused somewhere up front (there is a convenient junction box for this on the travel trailers).

I'm not aware of any trailers that provide more than just power for the rear-mounted camera. My previous trailer had it wired into an always-on circuit. The only time the camera was off was when I opened the battery disconnect. I appreciate that Winnebago wired it to the running lights.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Actually, you are prewired for a rear camera. It is the power for the camera. The cameras are usually wireless so no other wiring is needed.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

If it were just power why would they use a four pin connector. It seems to me that someone there must have been thinking about providing a connection for the camera. Given the location of the marker lights getting power is a fairly simple thing. Not all cameras are wireless, I have tried several different wireless cameras and most of them work most of the time but a wired camera should work all the time.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

A wired camera connection would imply a coaxial cable for the video. Without looking at or taking a meter to the connector, I would not guess. Have you checked for power thru the 4 pins?
Old 02-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlien477 View Post
If it were just power why would they use a four pin connector. It seems to me that someone there must have been thinking about providing a connection for the camera. Given the location of the marker lights getting power is a fairly simple thing. Not all cameras are wireless, I have tried several different wireless cameras and most of them work most of the time but a wired camera should work all the time.
They wanted it to be plug-n-play for the Voyager WiSight camera. If you had one of those, you'd be able to just plug it in and mount it to the wall. Many other manufacturers use the same approach for Furrion cameras.

Honestly this isn't a Winnebago issue, this is a Ford/GM (Ram?) issue. They're the ones that decided to make life hard for the owners by using wired cameras. It seems they could have gone wireless without too much trouble.

Tags
camera, install, led, wiring