Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Buying Used Navion 24J

Hi Everyone,

Firs time RV buyer here. I recently returned from a week long trip where I rented a 2016 Navion 24J. I love the handling and open living space inside.

I am considering purchasing a used one now and want to know if there are any particular years to avoid due to any major issues? Or any major upgrades. I am looking at mostly 2015,2016,2017. Any advice is appreciated.
Ldesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

not sure when the bed was made longer -- 15 or 16

other than that just look for the upgrades you are looking for such as:

diesel gen (look for at least 24 hrs/year on it... more is not a problem) or propane if you don't plan on using it more than an hour or so a day ( also look for some time on the gen)

instant hot water

solar

fully functional 3 way fridge, or compressor fridge

or problem areas such as:

soft floors
tires that need changing
torn or worn material at seating areas (material is known to be of poor quality)

getting to look at a repair log would be nice to see what has been done and what was added such as more solar, upgraded batteries (OEM are notoriously under what amps are usually needed), suspension add on items like sumo springs, anti sway bar etc.

low mileage isn't always good on these units. If used enough the DEF system will have gotten regular refills - old stale DEF can cause issues. Proof that oil changes & other service requirements have been done so your drive train warranty can be used to 100k.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
not sure when the bed was made longer -- 15 or 16

other than that just look for the upgrades you are looking for such as:

diesel gen (look for at least 24 hrs/year on it... more is not a problem) or propane if you don't plan on using it more than an hour or so a day ( also look for some time on the gen)

instant hot water

solar

fully functional 3 way fridge, or compressor fridge

or problem areas such as:

soft floors
tires that need changing
torn or worn material at seating areas (material is known to be of poor quality)

getting to look at a repair log would be nice to see what has been done and what was added such as more solar, upgraded batteries (OEM are notoriously under what amps are usually needed), suspension add on items like sumo springs, anti sway bar etc.

low mileage isn't always good on these units. If used enough the DEF system will have gotten regular refills - old stale DEF can cause issues. Proof that oil changes & other service requirements have been done so your drive train warranty can be used to 100k.

Thanks for the great advice!
Ldesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 that I absolutely love. Go as new as you can. I'll be selling mine to upgrade to the 2020 which has just a few new features I want. Clay
fstclyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2014 24V....loved it! I took out the sofa/couch & installed 2 recliners.

Great Camper. Great driver. We put on 37K mi in 23 mos, sold it for 79% of my purchase price. The buyer can still get what he paid me for it, in 2016
Old 08-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Nice RV’s but serious load capacity issues. Do the math on load capacity with full water, fuel, LP, occupants and once you subtract that from the GVW you will be astonished. Also, actual tow capacity well under 5k lbs. I guess it has it’s purpose, but I was contemplating moving from a DP to downsize, let’s say I scraped that idea. But did love the ride and ease of maintenance. Plans for Mercedes to upgrade their chassis, stay tuned.
lpavao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 24J and like it very much. My recent research tells me the new compressor refrigerators in the newer models may not be the best choice if you dry camp. Without significant solar panel upgrade and battery upgrade the factory stock systems really can't provide enough power to keep these refrigerators operating when your'e off grid. Of course you can run your generator but for me that's not what I want to do when dry camping.

As already mentioned, be sure you know what chassis/engine maintenance has been done. These Mercedes diesel engines are great and many owners misunderstand the service intervals. Oil change interval is stated to by 20,000 miles. BUT... how long until you put 20,000 miles on your motorhome? Better to adhere to every two years schedule which isn't made clear in the manual. Routine Mercedes maintenance is not inexpensive and should only be done at a Mercedes dealer who'll work on these motorhomes or an independent shop who really understands the maintenance needs. There are very specific oil and other fluid requirements. Certainly not something I'd trust Walmart or a local quick change oil place to handle. Do your research, and good luck.
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

As for the Oil changes. 10K is the max I would do ( & did) before oil changes.

Required oil specs are very specific...I got Mobil 1 from Napa, when on sale. I had napa order it in , & kept it on hand at home, same goes for the correct , very specific, oil filter.

MB 3.0 diesel is the most convenient engine to change oil on. Oil change is a breeze, easy access from the front.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Oil must be changed every year at a minimum in a diesel rig. Most folks do not get near the mileage requirement but even if you drive it 20k miles in a year I would suggest two changes in that time regardless of the recommendation. If you read the manual carefully the Benz recommends two annual changes really, one for summer and one for winter. Where I live 5Winter-30 .52 spec is fine all year, other places 0Winter-30 would be better.

The new Sprinters have moved the fuel filter in the valley of the six cylinder, much more difficult to change fuel filter. I looked at it and took it to the diesel pro shop nearby. Far less expensive than Benz boys but still $250, $130 for filter and the rest labor. I also let them do the oil change this time, reasonable for $200. I think the oil and oil filter cost me $130 last year. Now this shop put in 0W-30 M1 which is .52 spec as well, fine with either one. The tech worked on Sprinters for years and they have all the proper test equipment and know how to do this. You must pick a shop with knowledge of the Sprinter and tools or go to Benz and pay for it.

I would not let WalMart change the oil in an old lawnmower much less anything that cost as much as an auto or RV.

Anyway I think most people would be wise to get oil changes done twice a year but at a minimum every year regardless of mileage being below 20k, it is so stated in owner manual.

In our last DP I changed the fuel filters every year just because they were cheap and easy to get to. Raise the hood and they were right in front of you, primary and secondary filters. I am happy to pay someone who knows how and does it all the time to change that dinky high dollar filter in the Sprinter because it is hard to reach and you must remove a bunch of junk to access it. The Sprinter wants a new fuel filter every two years. The "A" and "B" service indicators Benz uses are not very helpful at all. Read the list (a long one) and you will see most things are easy, some not so easy. Do what you can if you enjoy it but you will still pay the fixed amount for "A" service and "B" service at a shop.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Change oil once a year. It's not cheap but cheaper than a Mercedes engine. If you can afford a Mercedes........you can afford to pamper it.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote