Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Buying used?

Would you buy a used Winnebago/Itasca DP with basement AC? Shopping and it looks like pre-2011 units have basement air. Just wondering what owners think of the basement unit, e.g. Cooling, heat pump, maintenance, and repair.
Thanks for any input.
Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have basement air and love it. The only drawback I've seen is the room it takes up, but there is lots of storage room anyway
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have heard that in very hot situations the unit is not strong enough to keep the rv very cool.
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2006 36SE Meridian DP and ran it in Kansas and Texas. I never had any problems with it cooling. I really liked the arrangement.
The cooling unit is back by the bedroom and the initial start up bothered us the first couple of nights but we became accustom to it.
The great think about the coaches older that 2010 no DEP fluid is required. All new diesels are required to have that tank to improve air quality.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We were in Oklahoma in July this year and our coach was very comfortable with basement air. I prefer this over the roof air, less noise, no dripping condensation down awning or side walls, and is heat pump in the cool nights of fall.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We love our basement air....2010 Adventurer, the last year they came with it from Winnebago. Having the a/c unit under and in the back of the coach does not create any more noise than if you were running your generator. The noise generated from the roof a/c unit up front was annoying to watch tv....noise in the back bedroom made sleeping tough, but you get use to it. We can run both a/c units on a 30 amp hookup ( 27 amps running both units....that includes the fridge)when we had the roof a/c, we could only run one unit on 30 amps. The cooling capacity was never a problem...it was always comfortable inside.
My personal opinion is the basement air unit is under the coach, and is not sitting in the sun when operating...therefore, I believe they run a little bit cooler. Remember the basement a/c unit is like any residential a/c unit....I have replaced the compressor motor with a little help to lower and pull the unit out from under the coach...you can obtain the parts from any parts house. The best part is, along with a/c it has heat pumps...which provide the extra heat without the furnace having to fire up.
I hated the condensation that ran off the roof.....the streaks left from that runoff was a constant chore to keep the sidewalls clean. On the roof I even used beads of caulk to redirect the runoff...it helped, but always a problem.

Two thumbs up for basement air
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We've had to spend all this summer in Tucson. Basement air has been perfect.
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Can both types of A/C units be serviced by regular HVAC guys? If your unit needs a recharge, is one type able to be done, or are both?

From what I'm reading, the basement air can be...which would be a Plus, but is that true of roof air, too?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I am the guy who doesn't like his basement air. The system has 2 compressors, if you only have 30 amp service only 1 compressor will run. This is not enough to cool the house. If you have 50 amp service or running the genny it works fine. Your neighbors will HATE it. The noise and heat exhaust is at ground level and right into their camp.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
The noise and heat exhaust is at ground level and right into their camp.

Wow, something we never would have thought of unless the voice of experience told us!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I like the unshaded room for solar panels (940 watts). We are currently on a 30amp hookup with 25amps, both compressors, showing on the load meter.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to replogle
We really like the basement A/C in our 2001 Journey. Just spent two weeks in Pahrump NV. with temps 99 to 101. Like the lower noise level over the roof units. You are sleeping on top of the A/C but we hardly noticed the noise. We then went to Williams AZ. to visit the Grand Canyon with temps in the high 40s at night. The heat pump worked great in keeping us warm. Also on the plus side is the lower roof clearance with the Basement A/C. Make sure that the ducting from the A/C to the roof duct is not leaking. That one of the week areas of the basement units.

Randy, 2001 Journey 36LD
replogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

There are some negatives for basement air as has been mentioned in previous posts.

I think the positives far outweigh the negatives ... our former motorhome had ducted roof air ... I hated it when we were sitting in the front and running the air ... it required LOUD tv and LOUD conversation when ever it was on ... we kept the tv remote in hand and would raise and lower the volume at the condenser turned on and off ... maybe they are quieter now and have less reverberation ...

In terms of annoying the neighbors ... I think it is "a horse apiece" on roof and basement air ... you are running fans and compressors ... they make noise ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2009 Adventurer with basement air and have no problems with it. As mentioned, it is quieter than roof units when watching TV and you don't have to deal with the condensate. We spend at least 3 months every year in Key West and the basement air has not failed to keep us cool.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Not a problem with the basement air on 30 amps. Winnebago products have the energy management panel that let's you see how many amps you are using. Just do not exceed the amperage keep an eye on what type of electric appliances you run. Two compressors use around 23-24,amps just use propane on your hot water and refrig. For us it's not a big deal during the eve hrs after sundown usually the second compressor kicks off cutting the amps down. Also if it's not very hot you not using 2 compressors. We spent 2 weeks in 110 degrees on 30 amps without any problem just use common sense. Ideally 50 amps is best but unless it's very hot and humid and you want to use the microwave, toaster, hair dryer, and ac at the same time it's not a big deal
Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We live in Central Valley, Calif., and we camp here also, the basement air is great. If we have the air running and I need the micro we just turn the air off for a bit then turn back on. Also use the electric water heater and ac on the frig. no problem. Like the other post said, just watch you amps.
We have had both the basement air and ceiling air and I prefer the basement.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
I am the guy who doesn't like his basement air. The system has 2 compressors, if you only have 30 amp service only 1 compressor will run. This is not enough to cool the house. If you have 50 amp service or running the genny it works fine. Your neighbors will HATE it. The noise and heat exhaust is at ground level and right into their camp.
Different manufacturer, different system. Without the energy management system, your system will not do 2 compressors on 30amps. Every Winnebago coach with the basement air has the EMS, allowing them to runs both compressors on 30amp.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote