Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Tour VS Allegro Bus

We have been looking at the Allegro bus for a couple months and wanted to compair it to the Tour - Would like to get any input from tour owners on how well they liked there coach or any other info. we could get

Thanks Steve
Steve HCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Steve..We have a 2009 Tour WD and we also were originally interested in the Tiffin products but could not find a floor plan that suited us. We love our tour and the WD floor plan. We have owned her for a year now and after some chassis mods.(safety steer, motion controls, koni shocks and a new bell crank)she handles like a dream and has provided us with trouble free service. Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either the Allegro or the Winnie.

Ranger Rick
2009 Tour WD
2010 Chevy Equinox
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We also considered Tiffen but in the end opted for a Tour 40TD. Other than a few minor new-coach nitpicks we have been very happy.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We ended up with a 2008 Tour 40TD. The floor plan was a big selling point. We liked the width of the living room with the 37" LCD over the fireplace, across from the seating. We're on our second trip now and really like this coach. Tiffen has a great reputation, but they didn't offer anything comparable to this floor plan.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Tour

Thanks for the replys - thats one thing we really liked about the Winnebago over the Tiffin is there floorplans - we like the mid-ship TV that is viewable with slides in, i don't know why they dont make more floor plans like that
Thanks Again
Steve HCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Both are great products.

The Bus has IFS and a side radiator which may or may not be important to you.

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey 126,000 miles
XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2007 Tour 40TD that was a brand new leftover when we bought it in June 2008.

We love the floor plan as it is great for just the two of us or when we bring the boys and their friends. Plenty of storage and floor space.

Only modification so far has been a computer desk that slides onto the small shelf behind the passenger seat.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Before you "sign on the dotted line" have a 4-corner weigh done on the coach that you choose. Some of the single-axle motorhomes are right on the edge on weight. You will be limited in your ability to take your "toys" and necessary items when you travel. Good Luck in finding what you want.
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
Hi Steve..We have a 2009 Tour WD and we also were originally interested in the Tiffin products but could not find a floor plan that suited us. We love our tour and the WD floor plan. We have owned her for a year now and after some chassis mods.(safety steer, motion controls, koni shocks and a new bell crank)she handles like a dream and has provided us with trouble free service. Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either the Allegro or the Winnie.

Hi Rick -
I have a 2004 Itasca Meridian and have added all the modifications you mentioned except the bell crank. Did you find it necessary and advantageous to change bell cranks on a such a new coach? If it helped yours maybe I should look into changing mine with 43,000 miles on it. I'm not necessarily noticing any excessive wandering or difficult in steering but everything on these Freightliner chassis seems to need improving.

Wagonmaster2

Ranger Rick
2009 Tour WD
2010 Chevy Equinox
Hi Rick -

Wrote a reply to you above but think I got it in the wrong place.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I also looked hard at the Bus, but liked the Winnebago floor plans better. I went with the Vectra instead of the Tour because of the IFS, etc. Both are great products.
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations! Welcome to the Vectra "Club".
What year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
I also looked hard at the Bus, but liked the Winnebago floor plans better. I went with the Vectra instead of the Tour because of the IFS, etc. Both are great products.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Congratulations! Welcome to the Vectra "Club".
What year?
2009 40 WD. Bought it at last year's Perry GA FMCA get together. Has all the options and I added MCD shades in the living room. I love those shades, they're great.
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
2009 40 WD. Bought it at last year's Perry GA FMCA get together. Has all the options and I added MCD shades in the living room. I love those shades, they're great.
I wish sometimes I had an 09 for the little improvements. I saw the MCD shades in the 2010 Tour and was impressed. Maybe next GNR we will be able to get the shades.

Presently in Phoenix, Az. (winter paradise)
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi WagonMaster2..My tour had 1500 miles when the bell crank was replaced. The tech called me into the alignment pit and asked me to turn the shaft on the oem bell crank using a very large wrench, needless to say it was very very difficult to turn. He then asked me to turn the shaft on the after market bell crank mfg. by henderson products. The difference was like night and day. I was told and have since read on this forum that freightliner bell cranks are notoriously bad right out of the gate. Having said that, I was amazed at how much better the steering control was on my coach after replacing the original. I hope you experience the same improvement after replacing yours.

Ranger Rick
2009 Tour WD
2010 Chevy Equinox
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Thanks Rick - this may be a good winter project before camping season starts again. Looks like it would be an easy back-yard mechanic project except for getting the arm off the shaft. Since this doesn't affect alignment there would be no having to get it re-aligned.
Guess I always thought new things were supposed to be new and not need replacing immediately, that's why we buy new coaches. Freightliner throws the RVer another costly curve.

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Isn't it terrible that after paying a quarter million dollars for one of these coaches then we have spend another $2,000-$3,000 to make them drive and ride like they should. If the factory did their job properly it probably wouldn't add another $1,500 to the price of the coach to use the best parts in the first place, which wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket to us.
I've done the Super Steer, Konis, and motion control valves, so the bell crank must be next.
Where's the best place to order one?

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Aren't these two coaches at completely different price points? I was of the belief that the list on a Tour was around $300K and the Bus could nearly double that. Does my aging brain have more wires crossed???

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Most of the new Tiffin Buses I've seen are around $350 MSRP
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Freightliner Modifications

Mikenmo,

The mods I made to my 09 Tour included Koni shocks, Safe-t-plus steering, motion control units for each air bag, and an after market bell crank. All of these mods were recommended by the folks at Henderson Products in Oregon. The Koni shocks were quite an improvement over the original, ride is smoother and control much more positive. The motion control units slow the transfer of air from bag to bag which significantly reduces the side to side and rocking motion which occurs without them. The Safe-t-plus returns the front wheels to center which helps a great deal in windy conditions. Also this is essential in case of a front tire blow out. The bell crank is part of the steering system and the original on mine was so stiff that I could not turn it even using a very hefty wrench. The after market is all stainless steel bearings, and I personally experienced a significant improvement in steering after it was installed. If you love your Tour as is, you will love it even more with these improvements. There have been many posts regarding these products. Feel free to browse this forum, I have learned a tremendous amount from the many experienced RVers who use this site. We also love our Tour, many happy miles with yours.

Ranger Rick
2009 Tour WD
2010 Chevy Equinox