Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2011 Tour vs 2011 Allegro Bus

I'm sure I will get a lot of opinions but currently looking at the Winnebago Tour 42 AD. We really like the floorplan but I'm also looking at the Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' bath and !/2. Which would you buy????

Thanks,

The Bay I

PS: I currently have a 2005 Allegro Bay 37 DB and the coach has been great.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest finding one on-line close to you and actually looking at it live. You may also consider the Itasca Ellipse AD or the QD.

We did that at the FMCA rally in OR last fall. My only comment is the expandable couch and the placement of the TV knocked our socks off. Others use high gloss finish on their wood cabinets to impress buyers.

Good luck, Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We're kind of in a similar situation but wanted to stay at the 40' mark so for us right now it's the Winnie/Itasca 40CD leading the race. We've been in the coach and really like the layout and arrangement in it.

I beleive the Allegro Bus is a bit more expensive than the Winnie/Itasca, along with having a few more features like the electric MCD shades, independant front suspension.

My take on the two is get the one that you and your wife like the best cause I've heard way more good than negative about both companies.

So far for us that's the 40cd make's momma the happiest.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We are shopping as well and just came from the RV show in Grand Rapids MI. Winne and Tiffin were side by side and we went back and forth. The floor plan in the Win was our favorite but comming from the construction industry, I look hard at how its put together, quality of welds, fit and finish etc. I have yet to drive either but in my opinion, and my brides, the Winnebago wins. With that being said, Tiffin builds a very fine coach and has a excellent reputation for service. At the end of the day its what puts a smile on your family's face, which one offers the most value to you and then there is the issue of dollars and cents. Have fun shopping and enjoy the journey. We certainly are.
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Go with the Tiffin.
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

When we were looking for a coach, we were torn between the Tour and the Phaeton. We talked with a Tiffin owner at a RV show and they raved about their factory service, their coach was a few years old but they wanted a different kitchen layout. They took it to the factory, drew up the plans, but didn't nail down a price. The factory did the work for nothing. I was impressed! Since then, a guy in our club with a Allegro Bus, has been to the factory 3 times and they have not been happy at all, would never buy another.
I've taken the Winnebago factory tour and was impressed, and have been impressed when I phone in technical question. I like that all the blueprints are on line, and years down the road they will have a part for my coach, or they will make one (except the basement air may be an issue in the future).
Bottom line, I think both companies have a good reputation, you'll always hear good and bad things about something. Both of these companies have weathered through the recession, and are still in business, I think that says a lot right there!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I fully agree with Smitty3509. LaMesa RV here in Quartzsite has a couple of Allegro Buses next to a couple of Itasca Ellipses. I can see things I like and don't like in each. I like the visibility out the window of the Itasca and the cargo latches of the Bus. Side radiator or rear radiator? Lots of things to consider.
I do like the plumbing, wiring, that is online at Winnebago. The times I have emailed for answers to a question I have been impressed with the quick call back or email from Winnebago.
I would not leave out Newmar if I was looking. Or even higher quality used in the same price range. Foretravel? There is a huge selection out there to consider. Look long and hard, drive many, there is one or more out there with your name on it.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We just visited the Tampa RV show, and the Tour, the Allegro Bus, and the American Revolution were the three we liked. We have a Winnie now, and like service options, have been disappointed in some of the build, and like the general comfort. We spoke with a Revolution rep, and the items that we've been particularly dissatisfied with--windows for example--are items that he describes as industry-wide problems. Before we bought the Adventurer, we'd considered the Newmar, and the Allegro. Our decision came down to pricing, dealership, and decor. We eliminated the Newmar products this time based on decor--to us their interiors seem too gaudy. What this all proves is that ultimately you will decide based on very personal responses to some facet of the purchase. And you'll be happy and unhappy with some aspect of the ownership.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The DW wife & I have been to many, many RV shows. I keep on comparing the Tiffin to the Winnie Ellipse CD & QD. We went back and fourth, build quality, interior design, internet access to plans and parts, and dealership location, major consideration. I figure you are going to need a dealer sooner or later, and living in PA I am not driving to see Bob in Red Bay! Right now I use Harolds RV Center in Bath, a Winnie dealer. Fair prices, good workmanship, and very helpfull.

We looked at the RV show in Harrisburg, three times. We were at the Rally in Kentucky and spent alot of hours in each coach.

At this point, it is still Winnie. This isn't a brand loyalty decision. It's about what really is important to you.

Good Luck... choose wisely.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the responses, the DW really likes the Winnebago Tour 42 AD floorplan as do I. Now the question is Itasca or Winnebago? Will investigate dealers and see where we get the best price.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

"Now the question is Itasca or Winnebago?"
LOL
Welcome to our world!

PS: Winnebago industries wont let you mix and match selections across the different brands no matter how much you whine.