Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

VISTA/Sunstar dash...

Has anyone removed and reinstalled the dash cover? I have a thousand rattles and squeaks underneath that I would like to correct.

The screws on the console cover make that part obvious, but the rest of it, I'm not too sure about...
bargeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargeman View Post
Has anyone removed and reinstalled the dash cover? I have a thousand rattles and squeaks underneath that I would like to correct.

The screws on the console cover make that part obvious, but the rest of it, I'm not too sure about...

Need to fill out your Signature with your info so we can better help you.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm wondering the same thing. I need to acess the back of the radio...
'16 31BE
Old 12-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

1. Remove the tray with cupholders on top of the doghouse, by removing the cup holder trim rings, the cup holders, then removing the screws under them that mount the tray to the doghouse. Tip: mark the tray screw positions with a black marker before lifting it out of the way, it will make it easier to put back later in the same spot reusing the same screw holes.

2. Remove the 3 screws at bottom of center console.

3. Remove 2 screws above the bottom shelf of the console.

The console will come out, when taking it out it has to be moved sideways to clear a couple of metal tabs on the side.

Tip: Be sure to work the tabs free, once this is done you won't have to pull that hard. If you pull too hard you will separate the plastic visible piece from the metal backing in particular at the upper corners and it will have to re-glued to look right.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

PowerCat

I have the 2014 27n. I don't think mine comes apart like that at all, I know the radio comes out, and the big cover over the speedo and gauges comes off easily. But it doesn't have a console.

But it seems like the dashboard itself is glued down. I can't get to all those rattles under there either.

Have you had the dashboard out? By dashboard, I mean the 7 foot by 3 foot vinyl covered 3/4 plywood piece...
Old 12-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
PowerCat

I have the 2014 27n. I don't think mine comes apart like that at all, I know the radio comes out, and the big cover over the speedo and gauges comes off easily. But it doesn't have a console.

But it seems like the dashboard itself is glued down. I can't get to all those rattles under there either.

Have you had the dashboard out? By dashboard, I mean the 7 foot by 3 foot vinyl covered 3/4 plywood piece...
No, just the center console. Vast majority of what could rattle that you can't see from below the driver's side of the console is behind there and behind the speedo gauge cluster.

You might access the Winnebago parts catalog and see if you can tell how it removes from the illustrated parts catalog.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It's a 2014 Winnebago vista 26HE. I'm interested in removing the big horizontal flat thingy that extends all the way across and from the edge to the windshield...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I don't know for sure, but I got under far enough through the radio hole to believe strongly that the dashboard is glued down to a steel frame. I spent a lot of time looking.

Probably worth a call to Winnebago to confirm.

I found most of the rattle to be things that weren't properly secured with wire ties. Electronic boxes, parts, wire bundles, etc.

One big rattle remained after the wire tying, and I noticed that it went away if someone sits on the dashboard, or you put a heavy weight up there while driving. If this is what you have, here is one way to fix it:

I got some little wooden wedges (made for shimming doors) and stuck them between the metal frame and the 3/4 inch plywood (which is covered in vinyl) in areas where it wasn't glued down well. The plywood sits on a metal frame, and is probably glued down. The only access I could manage was through the radio hole, and of course under the big plastic shroud over the speedo.

Between the wedges and the wire tires securing everything I could find, finally no more rattles!

So annoying how little care was taken in construction...
Old 12-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #9
Site Team

VISTA/Sunstar dash...

danhannah, very creative and resourceful in finding the squeaks. I took the lazy approach and just decided to ignore them. I have squeaks from the slide, window casings, under the dash, dishes and other things in the cabinets, and the microwave. After a few miles, I don't even notice them. However, I'm inspired by your success! :-) Happy new year!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Traded it...
Old 04-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Team

VISTA/Sunstar dash...

Ok, that's another solution! :-) I just traded in mine, too, but overall loved the 26HE for the 5 years we owned it.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash