Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Mich, it's not new anymore. I did however, purchased it new, in September 2010. Hard to believe that was 3 1/2 years ago.
My post was actually directed to the OP on his new to him MH.
Your situation is definitely out of the norm where the MH manufacturer lists the unit as a year earlier than the chassis manufacturer.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Much as I love winnebago I'd say don't do it. The Tour line seems to be plagued with problems. My sister had two of them, a '12 40' and a '13 42. Both had so many problems they traded the last one in for an Entegra Cornerstone. Yeah, more money, but with a hefty discount it wasn't that much more. They say the winnie is built to a price point and it's too low. That must be why they sell so many. There are a LOT of resales on them too which should tell you something.

Every Tour owner they talked to said they had problems. One of them said they had to take theirs to the factory to get stuff fixed and they said there were Tours lined up by the dozens waiting to be fixed.

Every time they went out something didn't work - slide outs, level jacks, generator, overheating, electrics that didn't work, doors that wouldn't open, the list went on and on. Maybe you'll get different reports here on the forum, I dunno.

One thing they really disliked were the level jacks - apparently only the rears can level the coach sideways - not the fronts, so it would twist the coach on any unlevel rv sites. Bathroom door wouldn't latch, or cargo doors wouldn't open or they would hit the slides.

I would talk to a few owners with them. One fellow said if he knew where the president of winnebago lived he'd park his rig on their front lawn and leave it there. Another paid way too much - didin't bargain for a big enough discount (easily 20-30%) and was so buried in it he'll never get out. He paid almost as much for his as my sis did for the new cornerstone - the list at $585K. Very nice coach by the way, and they got the 30% or more off so it wasn't that bad. Fit and finish and componentry is substantially above the winnie.

Just passing info...I have no investment one way or other.
I have a 2012 Tour 42QD, which is the same size as the new one - 42' 10". I purchased it used in October 2013 with 7,200 miles. I have put 4,000 miles on it since. There have been a few little problems but nothing like you have described. I did look at the service record. The previous owner had some problems but all were resolved by the dealer.

I don't think the Tour suffers any worse versus its competitors in the segment it competes in and, from what I have seen, is better.

I would expect a MH costing $585K to be better than the Tour. Its substantially more expensive, even after discounts. I paid less (a lot less) than half that amount on my slightly used 2012.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

It's interesting how someone can have so much bad luck (CjBrown's sister) I've had my Tour for 3 1/2 years and nothing like the problems experienced by is sister have popped up. My only real problem has been the Inverter but that's not Winnebago, it's another company. I think that issue is now solved.

Like I said, some people are plagued with problems. Some of those problems are real and some are imaginary. Personally I don't buy into second hand information, that's called heasay information. (not acceptable in court)
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote