Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to; Dismantle Step Well Cover 04 Journey

I need to somehow retrieve a screw from whatever spot it came to rest that keeps the cover from moving any further than the first step width. Don't has me how the screw got down there.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Give Winnebago a call tomorrow. They should be able to email you a diagram and give you a how-to over the phone.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
I need to somehow retrieve a screw from whatever spot it came to rest that keeps the cover from moving any further than the first step width. Don't has me how the screw got down there.
phinney,
Well Sir, it depends on if your coach is similar or, is exactly like the slide out step cover in our '04 Itasca Horizon. Getting to the innards of that step cover is going to be real tough on your coach because, if I'm not mistaken, your coach does NOT have a slide out generator. Ours does. And, when you move the generator out of the way, as in our case, you can look straight up at the "ceiling" of that gen compartment and see a panel, with a zillion screws on it.

Once that panel is removed, you can see the slide out step cover and all the controls/cables/motor/wiring and more for it. Now, just how much more visibility for anything that might be lingering in there, as in a screw etc., that might remain to be seen.

There may or may not be any other access to it, via a top rail just above the first step or, the floor of the coach I should say. In the old days of the Journeys, that step cover was air actuated but, in the vintage of yours and mine, it's cable driven with a motor about the size and type of the actual steps that move in and out on coach door. Don't know it this helps much but, I thought I'd throw this info at ya.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The manual is here

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/1422194%20.pdf
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Helps, not sure it is encouraging but thanks. I need new carpet anyway.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I feel your pain. I have same step. There are two ball bearing rollers on either end that cause the back part of the step to go up at the end of its range of travel. It appears in my case that they were not tightened sufficiently originally. They came loose and then came off. One lodged in the track and stopped the step from moving back and forth. Without removing the generator (mine does not slide) to get to the access panel, you have to reach very far and try to get these put back together. The bolt that goes through the ball bearing has an allen head and then a nut on the other end. Job for someone with long and flexible arms.........

Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

AlexP, I'm assuming you mean reach from under the motorhome?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Barry,

No. I have an immovable generator under the step. It is about a half inch from the inspection panel with the 20 screws or so. So that way is blocked for me.

If you pull the step out (I used two small pry bars) about half way, and you have monkey arms, you can reach back to where these rollers are......just barely. And reattach them.

Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Update!!!

Okay, so we get back from a short trip. The step is bugging the crap out of me. I am thinking if I can get a fiber optic video so I can scope it. Or, cut away some sheet metal to access the insides. All good ideas.

Now, I go in the house with a load and tell the wife what I am thinking. She leaves, I make a snack. Next I hear her from the front door. "Jeff, I fixed it". NOw, I have learned to not make certain facial expressions, luckily I was in the kitchen. I then remember that once before it went all the way out and then jammed again on the next cycle. Sure, enough that is what actually happened so all is well in the universe. Not to be deterred, my wife continues her investigation. She runs it back and forth and it sticks. She grabs the step jerks it hard up and out. It then fully extends. She pokes around and finds the damn screw.

It is gonna be a long time till I stop hearing about that one.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like the wrong person was working on the problem.Ha Ha. I started taking dash apart due to no air flow ouy of vents,after a hour wife came out and flipped defuser control and all was well.Happens to the best of us.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mind you, I spent several hours poking around, dragging a magnet, posting here and researching. She goes out and fixes the damn thing in about 15 minutes
Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Mind you, I spent several hours poking around, dragging a magnet, posting here and researching. She goes out and fixes the damn thing in about 15 minutes

Old 03-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

to DW. Did you buy her flowers?

Tags
journey