Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tour model year

Hi folks,

I'm looking at a slightly used Tour, supposed to be a 2014 according to the operators manuals. I don't have access to the coach right this minute to look at the info sheets. It is in a 2013 paint scheme with 2013 fabrics. I checked the VIN with another dealer and it shows the coach was built in March '13 and sold new in June '13. So what is it, a '13 or a '14? I know there are model year run overs, in fact the coach I'm in now was built in '07 and sold in '08 as an '08 model year, but it is in '08 paint and has 08 fabrics. I just don't want to pay for a '14 if it is in fact a '13. I don't know much about Winnebagos, having formerly owned other brands.

Thanks,

........JB
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I own a 2014 Winnebago that was built in September of 2013 but it is a 2014 and I purchased it in Oct of 2013.

Therefore I would say that it the coach was built in the later part of a year then it would be the next years model just like they do with automobiles.

As far as Winnebago goes I would highly recommend them for a number of reasons which really is to many to list here however if you PM me I would be glad to list them or better yet go to Winnebago Industries and you can check out their complete line of coaches and download their respective brochures or even go to Winnebago, Itasca, Era New - Used Motorhomes for Sale, Iowa RV Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors as they have videos of the Winnebagos they have in stock plus they are only a mile from the factory.

Good Luck !

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

2013 paint scheme with 2013 fabrics I would not pay 2014 prices. Winnebago did some strange things with the Adventurer's med year last year selling 2013 paint and fabric has 2014's.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There were a lot of tours sold as 2014 with out the 2014 upgrades, does this one have 2 patio awnings, swivel outside tv mount ,frameless windows, safe behind the living room tv? if not then it is basically a left over 2013 called a 2014
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

And the higher rated front axles starting 8/13, change from 14,600 to 15,660 GAWR and from 44,600 to 45,660 lbs GVWR.

When were led lights added?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

When push comes to shove, the title is the final determinate, what's does it say?
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had'em check again, and the title and original sales documents indicate that it was considered a 2014 by Winnebago, but it is a 2013 in construction and features. That was a crappy thing for Winnebago to do, IMO. I hope the original owner knew this going in and paid appropriately. Thanks for all the info and help. I expect we're gonna buy it, but there will need to be some adjustment in the offer.

.......JB
Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have on of those units that were built (we ordered) during what I call the transition period between model years. This happens with most RV manufactures. There are pros and cons. They gradually change over the all the model year changes over about a one or two month period each year. It does come titled as a 14, with the 13 price. So down the road when you go to sell it or trade it most people and dealers look at what the title says. Yes, this year there was numerous changes on the Tour, but also there was a retail price increase of about $15K to make up for those changes. During this transition period, some owners do get some of the new changes at no cost. There are one or two items we would like to have of the changes, but look at the price increase.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We first ordered our 2014 Sightseer in April with 2013 pricing and 2013 colors, features etc.. In early May when we saw online the "real" 2014 Sightseer new colors, new features, etc. we changed our order to get the newer features of the true 2014 MH. It cost us slightly more and we had to wait a few months longer for delivery, but it was worth it to us.
Paulc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We order a 2010 Journey. It was delivered in June '10 with 2010 colors etc. but it is on a 2011 chassis. It's titled and insured as an '11.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Much as I love winnebago I'd say don't do it. The Tour line seems to be plagued with problems. My sister had two of them, a '12 40' and a '13 42. Both had so many problems they traded the last one in for an Entegra Cornerstone. Yeah, more money, but with a hefty discount it wasn't that much more. They say the winnie is built to a price point and it's too low. That must be why they sell so many. There are a LOT of resales on them too which should tell you something.

Every Tour owner they talked to said they had problems. One of them said they had to take theirs to the factory to get stuff fixed and they said there were Tours lined up by the dozens waiting to be fixed.

Every time they went out something didn't work - slide outs, level jacks, generator, overheating, electrics that didn't work, doors that wouldn't open, the list went on and on. Maybe you'll get different reports here on the forum, I dunno.

One thing they really disliked were the level jacks - apparently only the rears can level the coach sideways - not the fronts, so it would twist the coach on any unlevel rv sites. Bathroom door wouldn't latch, or cargo doors wouldn't open or they would hit the slides.

I would talk to a few owners with them. One fellow said if he knew where the president of winnebago lived he'd park his rig on their front lawn and leave it there. Another paid way too much - didin't bargain for a big enough discount (easily 20-30%) and was so buried in it he'll never get out. He paid almost as much for his as my sis did for the new cornerstone - the list at $585K. Very nice coach by the way, and they got the 30% or more off so it wasn't that bad. Fit and finish and componentry is substantially above the winnie.

Just passing info...I have no investment one way or other.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Much as I love winnebago I'd say don't do it. The Tour line seems to be plagued with problems. My sister had two of them, a '12 40' and a '13 42. Both had so many problems they traded the last one in for an Entegra Cornerstone. Yeah, more money, but with a hefty discount it wasn't that much more. They say the winnie is built to a price point and it's too low. That must be why they sell so many. There are a LOT of resales on them too which should tell you something.

Every Tour owner they talked to said they had problems. One of them said they had to take theirs to the factory to get stuff fixed and they said there were Tours lined up by the dozens waiting to be fixed.

Every time they went out something didn't work - slide outs, level jacks, generator, overheating, electrics that didn't work, doors that wouldn't open, the list went on and on. Maybe you'll get different reports here on the forum, I dunno.

One thing they really disliked were the level jacks - apparently only the rears can level the coach sideways - not the fronts, so it would twist the coach on any unlevel rv sites. Bathroom door wouldn't latch, or cargo doors wouldn't open or they would hit the slides.

I would talk to a few owners with them. One fellow said if he knew where the president of winnebago lived he'd park his rig on their front lawn and leave it there. Another paid way too much - didin't bargain for a big enough discount (easily 20-30%) and was so buried in it he'll never get out. He paid almost as much for his as my sis did for the new cornerstone - the list at $585K. Very nice coach by the way, and they got the 30% or more off so it wasn't that bad. Fit and finish and componentry is substantially above the winnie.

Just passing info...I have no investment one way or other.
Hi CJ
Sorry your sis had so many problems. Had my 2013 QD for 15 months and love it. Used it 165 nights. Has 11200 miles. Never been to the dealer for repair. I couldn't be happier. Feels like home.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Jb, if you do make an offer on this Tour, take into consideration that all required chassis maintenance should be done for the actual age of the chassis. The actual age is the date Frieghtliner took it off the assembly line & sent it to Winnebago. This includes the Cummins maintenance also. I wish I had known this prior to buying my 2013 Journey, My chassis was 7 months old at purchase & when I actually found this out & was able to schedule the service the chassis was over 1 year old.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again everyone for all the info. We decided to go forward with this Tour and will do the deal tomorrow. This will be our third coach. We bought our current coach new in 2008 and have put about 50K miles on it. The first two were Tiffins, a Phaeon and a Bus, and both gave us good service and no serious problems. Tiffin just didn't offer a floorplan my wife liked, and wife loyalty is more important to me than brand loyalty <g>. I hope the Tour will give us the same level of service as the Tiffins did, but only time will tell. I do much of the regular service myself, but have been to Gaffney a couple of times (as well as Red Bay). I do not like the service procedure at Red Bay, but it is fairly close to home and I did know that if it couldn't be fixed there, it couldn't be fixed. I'm just not patient enough to enjoy the process.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions here, probably tomorrow night. Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll get.

........JB
Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstok View Post
Thanks again everyone for all the info. We decided to go forward with this Tour and will do the deal tomorrow. This will be our third coach. We bought our current coach new in 2008 and have put about 50K miles on it. The first two were Tiffins, a Phaeon and a Bus, and both gave us good service and no serious problems. Tiffin just didn't offer a floorplan my wife liked, and wife loyalty is more important to me than brand loyalty <g>. I hope the Tour will give us the same level of service as the Tiffins did, but only time will tell. I do much of the regular service myself, but have been to Gaffney a couple of times (as well as Red Bay). I do not like the service procedure at Red Bay, but it is fairly close to home and I did know that if it couldn't be fixed there, it couldn't be fixed. I'm just not patient enough to enjoy the process. I'm sure I'll be asking questions here, probably tomorrow night. Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll get. ........JB
Congrats, we have had issues with our Ellipse, but we still love it and enjoy living in it. Have fun.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstok View Post
Thanks again everyone for all the info. We decided to go forward with this Tour and will do the deal tomorrow. This will be our third coach. We bought our current coach new in 2008 and have put about 50K miles on it. The first two were Tiffins, a Phaeon and a Bus, and both gave us good service and no serious problems. Tiffin just didn't offer a floorplan my wife liked, and wife loyalty is more important to me than brand loyalty <g>. I hope the Tour will give us the same level of service as the Tiffins did, but only time will tell. I do much of the regular service myself, but have been to Gaffney a couple of times (as well as Red Bay). I do not like the service procedure at Red Bay, but it is fairly close to home and I did know that if it couldn't be fixed there, it couldn't be fixed. I'm just not patient enough to enjoy the process.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions here, probably tomorrow night. Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll get.

........JB
Congratulations JB and DW.
We are happy for you two an know you will enjoy.
Will help in any way we can.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jesse. I'll probably taking you up on that if past experience is any guide.

.......JB
Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I own a Winnebago Tour with Winnebago paperwork that claims it's a 2010. DMV registered it as a 2011 as it's built on an early 2011 Freightliner chassis.. My insurance company also has it listed as a 2011.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Best of luck with your new coach.
As for the year of a coach, it can be really strange. My 2014 class C was actually built in Jan. 2013.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Mich, it's not new anymore. I did however, purchased it new, in September 2010. Hard to believe that was 3 1/2 years ago.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote