Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Nice job. Let us know when it rains if it is a herd of elephants on the roof.
I think that is the only reason for the foam.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:02 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Cataska, nice job, I just purchased a used 2007 Journey 36G that has sagging ceiling material in the bedroom area. It started out as a very small spot but the previous owner decided he was going to fix it and really buggered it up. I spoke to Winnebago Customer support and they told me the sell a kit that includes an approx 4 x 8 section of the foam backed vinyl along with new aluminum extrusions to install at the seam where two sections of the vinyl headliner meet. I never ask for a price for the kit, but rather asked what it would cost to have Winnebago do the replacement. I was told to figure on about $1800 per 4 x 8 section, but that the price may vary depending on how many obstructions there were.

I told the previous owner and he immediately dropped $2000 off the price plus the $2500 he had already offered on the price.

Is that the original aluminum strip in your photo or something new. Mine has the aluminum strip and then a plastic cover that snaps onto the strip to give it a finished appearance. I have heard it helps to warm the coach up above 70* to make it easier to remove the plastic strip first.

I plan to perform a temporary fix with added adhesive, knowing it will not last, and then will look for someone to do the replacement for me. I am handy but that vinyl looks like it needs an artist touch and that is not me.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Yes the strips are original and yes i think you should warm up the plastic cover for easier removal i did not warm mine and got a couple of cracks they are a little brittle from age.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post

I plan to perform a temporary fix with added adhesive, knowing it will not last, and then will look for someone to do the replacement for me. I am handy but that vinyl looks like it needs an artist touch and that is not me.
The adhesive may not stick, it didn't on mine.

The foam between the vinyl and the plywood disintegrates leaving small granules that keep the adhesive from sticking.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
I just cleaned the fabric and plywood 3m spray adhesive foam just makes it look a little cushier but you really cant tell foam is not there pictures with no foam.

really looks good and that is all that counts. I have been reading since mine detached from the foam. When I drop the supports it will be just the material falling down. So I have read if I spray the foam attach the material then it could bleed through? NO 100% sure if that is correct. So I will have to do a test spot.
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

My previous 2008 had the roof replaced. In doing so the ceiling liner started drooping. I took it back to the repair place and let them know we were heading out. They took some white quarter round and used it as a molding and stretched the fabric using the molding.

My thoughts at the time was to change it out to a crown molding to make it look a little more aesthetically pleasing but I didn't have to. Hurricane Harvey took care of it for us and totaled it.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
My previous 2008 had the roof replaced. In doing so the ceiling liner started drooping. I took it back to the repair place and let them know we were heading out. They took some white quarter round and used it as a molding and stretched the fabric using the molding.

My thoughts at the time was to change it out to a crown molding to make it look a little more aesthetically pleasing but I didn't have to. Hurricane Harvey took care of it for us and totaled it.
Thank you for the input..hope everyone was ok if they were might of been a blessing in disguise
Old 03-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

it was a blessing in disguise. Gave us a nice down payment on our present one and a nice upgrade. Very different ceiling layout so hope the glue holds.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Cataska, nice job, I just purchased a used 2007 Journey 36G that has sagging ceiling material in the bedroom area. It started out as a very small spot but the previous owner decided he was going to fix it and really buggered it up. I spoke to Winnebago Customer support and they told me the sell a kit that includes an approx 4 x 8 section of the foam backed vinyl along with new aluminum extrusions to install at the seam where two sections of the vinyl headliner meet. I never ask for a price for the kit, but rather asked what it would cost to have Winnebago do the replacement. I was told to figure on about $1800 per 4 x 8 section, but that the price may vary depending on how many obstructions there were.

I told the previous owner and he immediately dropped $2000 off the price plus the $2500 he had already offered on the price.

Is that the original aluminum strip in your photo or something new. Mine has the aluminum strip and then a plastic cover that snaps onto the strip to give it a finished appearance. I have heard it helps to warm the coach up above 70* to make it easier to remove the plastic strip first.

I tried the temporary fix by injecting glue thru the vynal sag just kept spreading and when i did pull down the material to try the repair found that injected glue made a bigger mess to clean up take my word for it it is easier to just remove the material clean off foam and re glue vynal to ceiling don't know about adding foam but i;am happy with mine glued to plywood.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

My vinyl/foam ceiling just started drooping about a year ago. It wasn't bad yet.

I went to the hardware store and bought 1/8" by 1 1/4" slats and screwed them to the ceiling to hold the vinyl to the ceiling.

Where it was drooping I pulled it tight and held it in place with staples. The slats covered the staples. Painted the slats to match the vinyl.

It has been 9 months, so far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling headliner repair with slats 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	177841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling headliner repair with slats 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	177842  

al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Did mine in about 2 hrs used Gorilla spray adhesive. The 3m yellow or headliner spray is good too. It’s easier than it looks. I was all worried about it and no biggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E19AF8E-2EDD-4311-90AC-81571E9C5A0F.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	177973  
Old 03-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

For any that have removed the plastic molding that attaches to the aluminum extrusion!!! Is the plastic molding in the shape of a C that presses around the aluminum piece or is there a center piece that pushes into the aluminum?

Mine is not coming down easily and I would rather not break it if possible.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:51 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

OK this is definitely off topic, I have changed the photo from the Fleetwood to the Winnie, but can't get the new photo to show up on my messages any thoughts? I am sure it is something I am doing wrong

Disregard, I think I found it.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Yes the plastic strips look like a c or d the edge of the strip hooks around the edge of the metal strip use a hair dryer to warm the plastic and a pick tool to get under the edge on the very end just pull easily and go slow
Old 03-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
Did mine in about 2 hrs used Gorilla spray adhesive. The 3m yellow or headliner spray is good too. It’s easier than it looks. I was all worried about it and no biggie
Did you need to remove the foam in that area or maybe just sprayed the adhesive over the loose area? I have the same issue with one panel in the bedroom.
KMackk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey